cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question About Speedtesters

Fixes: 116

Something I have noticed about speedtesters, particularly BBMax & Speedtest.net is that, most of the time, for the download test the dial jumps almost immediately to somewhere near the final result or higher and gradually reduces.

The Upload just gradually increases.

Just out of interest, does anyone have an explanation for this.

Yes, I am bored while I wait for a useable USENET Smiley

Regards

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Most testers do a quick upload and download test for a few seconds to get a rough idea of speed you are running at which it then uses to 'calibrate' the tester and any graphing / dials.

This also allows it to determine the size of file to be used in the testing. If your on a 56K dialup, there is no point it using a 2MB file for testing as you would be there for ages, but if you are on a 4Mbs ADSL then a 2MB file probably is the correct size to give a more accurate reading.

As to why the upload test appears to gradually increase compared to the download, this is all down to the time taken to do the initial check. The slower the connection speed, the less accurate the initial test is so some testers may think the speed is slower than it actually is so starts at a lower figure.
Fixes: 116

Thanks for such a good insight Smiley

Regards

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still