cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question - 2mb being shared

N/A

Ive noticed recently that my online gaming is suffering due to this throttling and let me say why I think so and then you can shoot me down in flames after.

I play Planetside which requires about 50 -110k down and 25k up stream depending on how packed the area is. My fiance is a forum admin elsewhere and we share my 2mb link.

Now up until the the throttling was announced I noticed no change when she was on, why should I with an average 1700/250 link.

However now she only has to upload a small 2mb picture and my connection goes to poo and I of course go nuts.

So should it be affecting like this ? Ive been playing the game for 2 years and have run over the usual connection check and the games fine.
6 REPLIES
N/A

Hi,

if you are experiencing speed issues run a BT Speed test which will identify where the problem lies.

Other users are reporting higher than normal pings whilst gaming recently. However, to establish the cause of your problem, we need to know where it originates.
N/A

Using 25KB/s upstream is over 83% of the capacity.

As a sharred connection will compete for bandwidth, your girlfriends computer will be attempting to share at half of this.

It is highly likely this is the cause of your problems.

Throttling can only be classed as the cause of your problmes, if you were the only person using the connection. But the fact that it happend when your are line sharing, sounds strong signals that this is the cause.
N/A

It is very likely that the effect of the slow down is due to another user using your upstream, as you stated you're only using 110k down, which is about 1/2 capacity, but 25k/s up is well over 50%, so yes when another user uploads a file from their machine it is going to affect the bandwidth, and 2mb pictures, has someone not heard of .jpg or .png, .bmp's are just not compressed, that may help if you are uploading .bmps, save them as .jpg's instead.
N/A

Planetside

Slightly off subject i know but whats your Planetside name?
I been playing for almost 2 years now and may have seen ya in game.
My nick is bivron and im in the 58th marine corp the wildcats.
N/A

Im on VS and TR, In ISK and Etheral Enforcers.

BorgUK1of9 Smiley
N/A

Well all I can say is I got a better service on 128k ISDN where my connection from Onetel on the gaming package was consistent and smooth and the ping was actually lower.

Since Ive noticed to be honest another 4 page thread about gaming problems lets consider this one closed and concentrate on that one.