cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question 20309213 closed - why?

parish
Grafter

Whatever happened to the old, easy to use, ticket system? This new Questions system is appalling!

I have a speed problem that, by running the BT Speedtest, I have confirmed is due to the DLM not updating my BRAS profile (see this thread) and therefore need PN to raise a fault with BT.

The only way I could find to raise a Question about this was by running the BB Fault Checker. I let it run the basic tests and then added the necessary info - the results of the BT Speedtest - to the Question.

The Question was replied to in a reasonable time but the CS agent said,

Have you tried rebooting your modem/router 2/3 times a day, over a period of a few days? As this can sometimes cause the BT DLM system to update your bRAS profile.

This is wrong, is it not? The stable_rate page on the portal says once a day for 3 days (and that was the advice when DSLMax was first rolled out) and I have been restarting once a day for over a week - it mainly drops and rconnects itself at least once a day but if it doesn't I do it manually.

So, try to log into the portal to reply to the Question, but the BB Fault Checker keeps coming up. Since I don't need this I cancelled it and this, it seems, is what has closed the Question without a warning that this would happen!!! and, unlike the old ticket system, it can't be re-opened by me.

So, can someone please re-open this, or tell me how to open a new Question without the need to run the BB Fault Checker?

TIA
6 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Unfortunately there's no real science to getting the BRAS speeds to update. The most common advice is to reboot once a day, but other people have tried different methods to try and get round it. Some have found 2 or 3 times a day works better for them.

One of the more bizarre ones (which worked for me back when Max started) was to cause noise on the line to get the sync speed to decrease to cause the BRAS to update. Wouldn't recommend that in this case, but has been known to work for those seeing 8128kbps sync speed but throughput stuck at 2Mbps.

Unfortunately once a ticket is closed it can't be reopened (this was the same on the old ticket system too), I would say to raise a new ticket via http://faults.plus.net and complete the detailed questions. The reason we ask for faults to be raised this way is for three reasons 1) to captures all the information we need to raise the fault 2) it runs a series of automated tests on the line and 3) it assigns the ticket to the correct people to report it to BT.

I'll have a look into why this was closed but it looks like it was done by a script rather than an agent.
parish
Grafter

Thanks for the quick reply Dave. I realize that the question was closed by a script (because I cancelled the Fault Check) but had it warned me that this would happen then I wouldn't have cancelled the check.

The reason I don't really want to use the Fault Checker is that it tests the actual throughput against the "stable_rate" which, in this case will will be OK (the BT Speedtest showed 932kbps with a "stable_rate" of 1000kbps) so, with those figures, I imagine your CS agents will see it as not being a problem (and possibly close the question themselves).

This is the problem with "wizard" type systems - they don't always allow you to report exactly what the problem is. There doesn't appear to be an easy way to report exactly the issue I'm having. I had this issue with the Questions system a couple of months ago when I tried to raise a question because my synch speed, after months of being consistent, suddenly started yo-yoing between 1500 and 4000+ and my "stable_rate" dropped to 1000. In the end I gave up and, as it turned out, the problem resolved itself and my "stable_rate" went up to 2500 - until the current problem.

OK, I'll follow the Fault Checker, but if I get fobbed off that there isn't a problem because the actual throughput is acceptable for the (current) "stable_rate" then I won't be happy.

Thanks again for your help.

Edit:

I've just run through the Fault Checker and I now remember why I gave up when I had the previous problem.

When I get to the speed test section, it says (my emphasis):

Minimum acceptable speeds for broadband service:

100kps or more – acceptable on 512kbps products

200kbs or more – acceptable on 1Mb products

400kbs or more – acceptable on 2Mb,4Mb and 8Mb products

Once you have completed the 3 required speed tests, please click continue. Please do not click this button until all 3 tests are complete, as we will not be able to review your fault.

If you have completed at least 3 tests and the results of the tests indicate speeds that are above those noted above, we will be unable to progress your fault any further. The cause of your slow speeds are due to contention. click the Close Fault button.

Since the one speedtest I've done reported 932kbps this question will not be progressed according to the above - even though the problem is notcontention it's the DLM/BRAS. So, what's the point of continuing? This is what I mean about your system not being configured to report the type of problem I'm having (or the last problem I had).
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

You can add a comment on to the fault ticket when raising, where you can provide this information for the faults team. They will then be able to test and raise the issue to BT.
parish
Grafter

Hi there,

You can add a comment on to the fault ticket when raising, where you can provide this information for the faults team. They will then be able to test and raise the issue to BT.

Well Mand, I raised another Question (20315504 ) and put a detailed explanation of the actual issue (incorrect BRAS profile). Just as I expected, I received this answer in the Question:

Dear .....

The results of our tests show no fault with your broadband connection. Completed speed tests show that your connection speed is: none found

According to BT, this speed is within the limits of acceptable performance for broadband service.

Kind Regards,
Customer Support

In the comments section of the Fault Checker I put the following. I don't think I could have explained the problem any clearer so, the CS agent obviously has ignored it - probably didn't even read it - and just followed his script.

Hi,

This Fault Report is NOT about the actual throughput I'm getting for the Data/IP Rate (stable_rate on the portal) but the fact that the Data/IP Rate is too low for the synch speed.

The Data/IP Rate dropped to 1000 a couple of weeks ago due to a freak low synch speed (possibly caused by some bad storms we had) but the synch speed has returned to its more normal ~3000 and has been for well over a week.

It appears that the DLM is not updating my BRAS profile.

P.S. This problem was originally reported in Question 20309213 but I accidently closed that by cancelling the Fault Checker.
N/A

This is a common problem, why do we have to play ticket tennis for days to get things done.
parish
Grafter

Just to close this debacle. My ticket got closed - no e-mail notification of the fact BTW!!! - on 20/9 with this message in the ticket:

Dear *******,
The BRAS profile for your line was raised to 3000kbps on 22/09/06. It takes several days for this to be raised after a drop in synchronisation speed has occurred and increased again.

Regards,
******** (a CSC Analyst)

Clearly yet another person who doesn't read the info in the tickets! I know that the BRAS is meant to take a few days, but this had been over a week when I raised the ticket, so nearly two weeks by the time it did reset - maybe running the BT speed tests kicked it into life.

Ironically, an e-mail arrived a few days ago...

Introducing the Online Support Team

Hi ********,

You recently gave us a negative review on one of our Help & Support pages. We're sorry you couldn't find what you wanted. We want you to know we appreciate your feedback, and thought you might be interested in hearing about what we're doing to improve our online help.

Although the online help could benefit from some improvement, the real problem, in this case at least, was the staff not actually reading/listening to what customers tell them and handling each issue/problem individually rather than following a script and totally ignoring what the customer says.