cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q: Can we use Tiscali line rental in place of BT?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I would advise him to steer clear.

Aside from the fact it's Tiscali (which in itself is a good enough reason), you risk losing broadband - and being forced over to them. I assume it also means you're subject to a new activation fee (or it being hidden in the contract somewhere).

If they're anything like Talk Talk, even if they say its possible to retain your broadband - it doesn't means in practise it will be the case. I know PlusNet have said they have had lots of problems with them.
18 REPLIES
gm4jjj
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Apologies I have posted this in the broadband help forum, but did not get a reply.

A friend who currently has a BT line and PlusNet broadband is wanting to move to Tiscali line rental and calls - though not Tiscali broadband . Will he still be able to use his PlusNet broadband?
Liam
Grafter

That's probably more a question that he should ask Tiscali. I believe, however that Tiscali don't do a Phone only service. Rather a Phone and Broadband service, and they will likely fully unbundle the line which will result in a cease of his PlusNet service.
gm4jjj
Rising Star

Thanks for the reply, he has asked Tiscali but they didn't think it would be a problem. I'm unsure as it doesn't mention unbundling, giving the impression it was only an administrative change.

I will warn him to double check with them just in case.
Liam
Grafter

Tiscali certainly use LLU for the phone service in exchanges where they have LLU kit. I'm not sure if they even offer the phone aspect of service in areas without LLU but I've not looked into it in loads of detail.

A quick glance at their website seems to suggest that they don't offer a 'phone-line-only' service anyway. I may be blind, though?
gm4jjj
Rising Star

I did find this in their T&Cs:

12.5 At present, Tiscali Line Rental is provided to you via a third party telecommunications Network operator. We reserve the right to provide Tiscali Line Rental via our own Network as developments in Network technology allow us to do so. This is called Local Loop Unbundling (“LLU”). This should not affect the provision of Tiscali Line Rental to you, except for a short outage during migration to our LLU Network. We will write to you prior to migration to advise you of the time and date of this short outage. Your terms and conditions may also be changed.

I think the phone service he is applying for is Tiscali Anytime Talk

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/talk/package-comparison.html?code=NN-HB-0282
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

You should be aware that if they do switch you to LLU you will lose the PlusNet broadband
gm4jjj
Rising Star

Yes I understand that - I will try and persuade them that this is not a good idea at all - it all sounds like a recipe for disaster, I can foresee trouble ahead when they have a problem with either Broadband or telephone and much buck passing taking place.
gm4jjj
Rising Star

I have passed on the words of wisdom and I now hope that they will not proceed with this.

Many thanks to all for their help and advice.
N/A

Ofcom opening up the telecommunications to free market is slightly one sided. As far as I can see if you are LLU'ed for phone, i.e. you pay telephone rental to a company other than BT, then you can only have BB by that LLU company. The equipment in the exchange does not allow telephone from the LLU provider and BB from BT (PN). This is why, as posted by Liam, there are missing customers
Liam
Grafter

Have you shown them our own home phone service? Not only is it a good product (I use it myself), but it would also give them the benefit of having one bill, one company to deal with, and everything available to them via the Portal.

If so, what is it about our Home Phone service that is stopping them going for it?
gm4jjj
Rising Star

I hadn't actually considered it myself - I assume that is another LLU system? - I am probably put off the idea of PN supplying phone because of all the other problems I see reported both with LLU and service problems with Home Phone (or maybe I am mixing up the problems with the Broadband phone) , maybe a case of putting all your eggs in one basket.

I will point them in that direction and see what they think.

Myself, I make so few calls and those that I do are through 18866, that it wouldn't be worth the hassle. Besides I get free 1471, 1571, Called ID, he only extra I pay for is different ring tones for business/home with BT.
N/A

PN does not LLU the phone package at the moment, don't know if they plan too. They buy the phone package of BT Wholesale, so you still on the BT system. But it's a condition that you have to have PN BB to have the phone package.
Liam
Grafter

Nope, our home phone product is not LLU at all.

We can offer it using a product available from BT called "Wholesale Line Rental", which just means that we can provide a home phone service, providing the product, billing and line rental. It's all over the same line, connected to the same equipment at the exchange. No physical change takes place whatsoever - it's just a billing change, really.

... and you can still use the 18866 service just as you would with BT.

Check it out :-
http://www.plus.net/residential/phonecalls/home/index.shtml
gm4jjj
Rising Star

Thanks for clarifying that - you say it is just a billing change, but presumably in my case I wouldn't get Caller ID for free (provided I make a couple of BT calls a month) anymore, nor different ring tones for my business line? Nor 1571?

I certainly will pass on the info to my friends.