cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Publishing and sharing VISTA Calendars on my PlusNet website

N/A

My wife, son and I are all running Vista. They got new laptops with Vista, and I upgraded my desktop to Vista 64-bit Home Premium with not problems (very carefully researched, and just one problem with a webcam driver not working). But that's another story ..

We'd like to be able to share our Calenders, and there is a facility in Vista Calendar to publish to a web location.

I've had a go at publishing to my Plusnet website, but Vista seems to want to publish using http rather than ftp. I have Frontpage extensions enabled on Plusnet, but still not sure how to get this to work.

Has anyone succeeded in this, or got any advice and tips please?

Many thanks
Tony
19 REPLIES
Liam
Grafter

Well, you've got me stumped on this one. I'm not too sure how this feature works, but I suspect you may have to have a service setup by the provider to upload your calendar to? Rather than just uploading it to any old webspace...

Might be better off asking this somewhere less specific, on a computing website or something?
Community Veteran

It looks like the Vista Calendar application requires using WebDav to publish the calendar, which as far as I know is not installed on any of our webservers (FP, WWW, CGI) so I don't think you'd be able to use it.
James
Grafter

Colin,

Can you think of any reason why we couldn't do this?
N/A

I'm with Tony - I'd also really like to use this feature. I spent an hour this morning playing around unsuccessfully before giving up and checking the forums Sad

I'm sure there will be plenty of other PN users who'd like to use this feature as Vista takes off.

Regards
James
Community Veteran

Would be good for us iCal users as well (yes that's the calendar app on Mac OS X that has been around since 2002 Tongue)

Edit: Actually what would be really good is if we could have CalDav to use with iCal 3 and OSX Leopard...
Community Veteran

Can you think of any reason why we couldn't do this?

Not really... although I've only tested on my Macbook.

All I did was enable the WebDav module in Apache, add a couple of lines to my config file and then it worked - I could publish calendars from Vista Calendar (over the LAN).

However it might become more complicated if it was being done on the server platform due to the fact that I should only be able to publish to a folder under www.cogilvie.plus.com and I must also enter my username/password to do so.

Colin
Liam
Grafter

I'll have a word with the right people on Tuesday to see if it's something we can implement on the CGI server.
N/A

Many thanks

WOW .... this is the first time I've used this forum and certainly didn't expect such helpful and well researched feedback.

Many thanks for the comments so far .. I'll see what Tuesday brings.

Cheers
Tony
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 3

Colin/Liam: Reckon we could get this integrated into the community beta?
Liam
Grafter

It would be relatively easy to enable / setup on the servers. The issue would be setting up users etc... Colin / Networks may have a better idea of how we could do it / integrate / auth with the site user accounts.

I'll come and speak to you on Tues.
Community Veteran

I don't think it'd be something that would fit in to the community site per se - but it could be something that's easy enough to do... as I said, I did have a play around with it on my Macbook and it seemed to work OK.

/me curses being green and switching off his server while he went home...
N/A

I was just thinking of being able to share via my own Plusnet webspace ... the "community beta" sounds interesting but i wasn't necessarily looking for anything more sophisticated.

Cheers
Tony
gswindale
Grafter

any updates on whether this will be possible?
N/A

Any news on this, guys?

This thread seems to have lost the initial momentum.