Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pse explain "Turn off your computer for an hour"

Alecto
Grafter

I've just seen this on an email from Liam:
we would advise powering down your equipment for one hour to clear any stale sessions at the exchange.

I've seen it before, so it must be serious, but can't help ranking it alongside asking for striped paint, or going for a long stand. :lol:

Would one of you cognoscenti mind explaining please what exactly this is meant to do, and why a simple reboot won't do just as well?

Much obliged.
4 REPLIES
N/A

If an end user is experiencing a stale session a simple reboot is unlikely to clear it.

By power down equipment they mean your modem / router. Generally it is advised that a stale session can take up to an hour to clear hence the standard advice.

I have certainly seen stale sessions take a considerable time to clear, especially if there are multiple sessions at play.

Hope that helps. Smiley
Liam
Grafter

A stale session at the RAS / Exchange times out after 60minutes, which is why I advised customers to power down for this amount of time.
tumnus
Grafter

I'm on gateway ptn-ag1 and am seeing 46% packet loss to websites like www.bbc.net.uk .

Will turning off my ADSL modem for an hour cure that? I thought it only helped when all connectivity was lost.
N/A

Left mine unplugged forr a week when i went away back end of last month and its even worse now!!