cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product advice...

N/A

Product advice...

Hello - could anyone give a novice a bit of info regarding the best product to use..?

I'm a home user currently on PAYG 2Gb paying about £15 per month... my usage is mainly a bit of evening surfing and sending baby photos to eager grandparents.

However i've now discovered World of Warcraft much to my wife's dismay and i've noticed that this is going to seriously increase my download usage!!!

So being as there is a limit for what i'm willing to pay, could someone recommend a product for up to about £20 that will let me continue my newly found geek hobby without leading to divorce! Wink

Was thinking about Premier but unsure whether it is 'unlimited' downloadHuh

PLEASE ADVISE. Thank you in advance.
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Product advice...

Right Plus and Premier compared:

Plus: Unlimited download as long as you don't take the mick, 50:1 PN Conetention heavilly traffic shaped; 100MB webspace.

Premier: Unlimited download as long as you don't take the mick, 30:1 PN Contention; p2p traffic shaped, 250mb webspace, CGI/php, mysql
N/A

Product advice...

Thanks for the prompt reply mate.

I'm still a bit of a Broadband novice though - what do you think qualifies as 'taking the mick'...

What is normally needed for a month of online gaming..? 2GB? 4Gb? I have no idea...

I'm only online during the evening, perhaps three or four nights per week... just wondered if it is worth sticking with what i've got... I can go up to about 5Gb on PAYG for £20 you see and still have flexibility as I may use a lot less the next month.

If any gamers out there know on average how much they use per month this would give me an idea...

Sorry if i'm being a bit dense!
N/A

Product advice...

<pedant>

Daniel, just for the sake of clarity and accuracy, I would refrain form using the unlimited term. It could come back to bite you. Wink

The premier products are not hard capped, however, if you intend downloading 100's of gb every month then the product is not suitable for that.

If your downloads average at less 100gb per month with the majority within off peak times you will have no difficulties.
Community Veteran

Product advice...

Wasn't sure what else to use so I thought it would be o.k. as long as I but the bit in about taking the mick! :roll:
N/A

Product advice...

Thats PN fault as they won't actually specify a set limit or say whether it is unlimited or limited leaving the whole issue very well open.
N/A

Product advice...

Thank you both for your help...

I think I might wait for a couple of weeks and analyse how much Gb I use by gaming a for three or four nights per week.

If it goes over 5Gb then i'll switch to Prem for £21.99 - if not then I may as well stay PAYG and have the flexibility of lower payments.

Cheers. Wink
N/A

Product advice...

I'll go with Demon M8, there seems to be a lot of shaping going on with plusnet,
N/A

Product advice...

Errr 'shaping' Huh :?

I DID say I was a novice... this sort of jargon means nothing to me sorry...

Care to enlighten..? Shockedops:
Community Veteran

Product advice...

On premier plus have started slowing down p2p, to save themselves money whilst attempting to give better pings to gamers such as yourself.
N/A

Product advice...

Errr 'shaping' Huh :?

I DID say I was a novice... this sort of jargon means nothing to me sorry...

Care to enlighten..? Shockedops:

PlusNets way of saying Capped and Limited.

Have a read here https://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31389
And here https://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31074
N/A

Product advice...

Oh.. ok... now things are becoming clearer.

Hmmm, guess I really need to have a firm idea of what i'm gonna be using per month before I make a decision.

Thanks very much you guys.
N/A

Product advice...

Migration from PAYG to BB+ and from BB+ to Premier are free as they're counted as 'upgrades'. Why don't you first move to BB+ and try it? If that doesn't work for you, then you can move up to Premier.

Upgrading packages with PN is a simple, painfree process. I was moved from PAYG to BB+ in a couple of hours, this was back in April, it may take longer now but probably not a lot.

You don't say what kind of downloads you're intending to do. If it's from ordinary websites (as opposed to Peer-to-peer or newsgroups), the speeds at BB+ so far are very good even at peak hours. This may vary depending on your exchange status and also the sites you're downloading from. If BB+ bandwidth use increases a lot, you may experiences slower speeds in the future - but IMO this would be well offset by the price. My BB+ connection has been absolutely steady since the word go, and I haven't experienced any restriction at all in my Internet use.

As long as you don't abuse the system (and it sounds from your post that you won't!), you'll be OK with BB+. Even if you 'abuse', first you'll get a polite warning email from PN, giving you the chance to upgrade to Premier or change your use. Give BB+ a try!

This page is very helpful to compare products:
http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/broadband_home_features.shtml
Community Veteran

Product advice...

It's gaming.
N/A

Product advice...

Ahhh! Sorry about my ignorance :?

I'm sure the connection is OK for gaming with BB+, haven't seen complaints posted anywhere. From the PN blurb, it sounds like gaming is given a 'medium' priority, so it shouldn't be too heavily shaped. And you will not exceed any caps by gaming!

I suspect that since P2P is strictly restricted in BB+, the connection may be better for gaming than in Premier, should be more stable, shouldn't it?