cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Refresh

N/A

Product Refresh

The new product range has been sucessfully launched across all the PlusNet family of sites. Please visit www.plus.net to see what these new products and offerings and don't forget the new refer a friend competition which has a fantastic holiday on offer.
20 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Product Refresh

Is Plusnet into job sharing now?

The message from Ian Wild on 23/3/2006 suggested that James Bailey was the NEW Comms team leader?

Time for a sig change methinks?

Maurice
James
Grafter

Product Refresh

Granted Smiley
N/A

Product Refresh

Dunno what you are on about my sig is correct Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Product Refresh

Since the new products have now been announced how about answering my questions in Liam's sticky repeated here for clarity
BROADBAND PLUS : Is it correct to assume that HTTP and e-mail traffic up to 3GB peak time will be in the gold queue and hence effectively unshaped?
--------
BROADBAND PLUS : How will FTP traffic be prioritisd within the 3Gb limit - unshaped, lightly shaped or heavily shaped and would it be possible to put some indicative speeds against these bands?
N/A

Product Refresh

As answered on the AG thread I hope that this answers the questions

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml?link=suptop5_bb3
Community Veteran

Product Refresh

That's the problem Stewart it doesn't.
James
Grafter

Product Refresh

Jim,

Please Smiley Stop cross posting.

HTTP & Email will be treated as gold traffic.

FTP will be treated as silver, with varying speeds dependent on how busy the network is at that time.
Mand
Grafter

Product Refresh

HTTP and email is classed as gold traffic and will remain unmanaged at all times.

Plusnet FTP is classed as silver traffic so should still be fast even at peak times.

Non-Plusnet FTP is classed as bronze traffic and so will be subject to any management applied to your account and may also prove less responsive at busy times.

In regards to speeds seen this will depend on your line speed, contention and the level of management applied to your account.

I hope that this resolves your query.
Community Veteran

Product Refresh

Jim,

Please Smiley Stop cross posting.

HTTP & Email will be treated as gold traffic.

FTP will be treated as silver, with varying speeds dependent on how busy the network is at that time.

James,
I cross posted deliberately. I have raised this question three times on this forum over the last few weeks and my requests for clarification have been ignored by the PlusNet reps.
One cross posting in ADSLGuide gets responses on both forums.
The fundamental problem I have, which has not yet been addressed is what speeds can be expected from BB+ at peak times.
In the new announcement Premier has lovely tables giving up to speeds for all protocols but for BB+ all we get is
3GB per month at peak times is more than enough for most Broadband Plus customers. If you do need to make occasional peer-to-peer, Usenet or FTP downloads, we recommend doing so outside of the busy 4pm-midnight period. For more frequent use of these applications we recommend Broadband PAYG or Broadband Premier.
I don't have a problem with P2P as we all know that it is throttled to death on BB+ but FTP was not specially throttled when BB+ first came out. It now is and there were reports that it was throttled to the same extent as P2P which makes it totally unusable for any FTP downloads during peak times.
To make it clear I am not referring to uploads and downloads from personal web sites whether on PlusNet or not but normal downloads from FTP servers.
In the context of traffic management I think I understand the principles PlusNet are applying which is that each Product (Premier, PAYG and Plus) are allocated a bandwidth which is estimated to meet the specified needs and that this can be dynamically changed if the top protocols are running out of bandwidth. I further understand that within the global picture PAYG has top priority followed very closely by Premier with Plus dragging up the rear.
It follows from this that the bandwidth allocated to Plus may well be restricted to meet the demands of the higher paying products. Given this scenario and with normal http traffic in the gold queue and ftp external traffic in the bronze queue the ftp speeds could be absolutely dire (previously quoted figures by users were as low as 5kb/s (this is bits not bytes).
All I want from PlusNet is a clear statement related to the expected (design?) speeds with external ftp at peak times and also confirmation that the allocated bandwidth for the Plus gold queue will be sufficient to allow the up to 8Mb speeds as is provided for all the other products
Mand
Grafter

Product Refresh

External FTP is classed as an advanced protocol and is therefore determined as bronze traffic.

Therefore at busy times this is one of the protocols where you will see a slowdown. Now afaik this should not be as low as 5kb/s as standard but I have not personally tested this.

Obviously if there is management placed on your account this will slow down further and perhaps thats where the issues are encountered.

On the whole it would be recommended that if you do need to download regularly from external FTP servers you do so outside of peak hours where the issue should not be so prominent.
Community Veteran

Product Refresh

On the whole it would be recommended that if you do need to download regularly from external FTP servers you do so outside of peak hours where the issue should not be so prominent.

I don't download regularly unless by regularly you mean a 12MB file once a week.
However a 12MB file at 5kb/s would take over 5 hours.
Do you consider that to be not prominent. I consider it to be an absolute nightmare.
Perhaps some BB+ users will be able to give more details after they are on the new system.
James
Grafter

Product Refresh

Jim,

The speeds will fluctuate, dependant on how busy the network is, otherwise we would, as much as we would love to, give you a specific figure. Like you say, getting feedback from other users may be a good idea.
Community Veteran

Product Refresh

James,
Thanks for the reply.
As I am at present on PAYG 3GB included it seems that the best approach is to wait until I am enabled for MaxDSL (I am not holding my breath on that one as my exchange is out in the sticks and I don't believe BT promised dates) then run some checks. Then reduce the included bandwidth to 1GB and change over to BB+ and try again. At least that way I can switch back again at no cost.
MrToast
Grafter

Product Refresh

..... As I am at present on PAYG 3GB ....

Did i miss-understand you previous posts? I thought you were talking about ftp performance on BB+?

As far as I know all protocols should go through with minimal (if any) management on a PAYG account.

If you are not getting good performance, and you are sure its not the server at the other end, I suggest you raise a support ticket to confirm you are on the correct profile.