cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with internet connection...HELP!!!

N/A

I have been using Plusnet as my broadband provider since November 2005 on the recommendation of a friend. Initially the service was good, I had opted for the £14.99 a month option. In May 2006 I started experiencing problems with my connection especially around peak times.

I complained and and complained and all I ever got told was that there was something wrong on my end. They kept saying that BT will charge to check the line. I am not technical but why would there be anything wrong with the line when I have no problems during peak times. I told customer services about this but was ignored. I tried to leave Plusnet last year but was made aware of a £70 cancellation charge so I balked at that. My fault for not reading the small print I suppose!

I bought a new modem and new filters as advised just in case that was the problem. For a time things were fine but the problem keeps recurring. Now, I can barely connect to the internet during peak times.

I didn't think there was any point in complaining to customer services again. What really makes me angry is that I can't get the service I am paying for at the time I most want it.

I have read several reviews about Plusnet recently and it seems like most people have had problems. I really don't want to go through the hassle of changing my ISP but I am at wit's end.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems to me? Can anyone advise me on what to do to solve this problem (other than the obvious one which is to dump Plusnet)?
5 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Hi there,

If you're suffering from Sync losses, this isn't caused by the ISP itself, but at the BT Wholesale end.

I'm running a line test now to get some further information.
James
Grafter

Hi Omar,

I can definitely see that the problem is an intermittent one. If you can try connecting one of your new filters directly into the test socket behind your master faceplate, let me know if the problem continues to occur.

If it does, then it should be a case of requesting a higher target noise margin from BT, as the additional noise on the line associated with peak times is causing your connection to either drop out or be widely inaccessible.

Let me know and I'll raise it to BT myself if the problem continues. I appreciate that you have been through this before, but I'd remain confident of us having a bit more luck this time around.
N/A

Hi
We had some issues last year tied to the line dropping quite frequently but eventually that got sorted out but took a bit longer than I had hoped.

We've just started having really slow speeds now and which might be due to exchange issue last Thursday but which seems to be taking a while to get anything done.

We've been with Plusnet for a while now and these are the only issues I can recall but it is frustrating... and does make you wonder if other ISP's have the same problems.
James
Grafter

From working for other ISPs (3) I can confirm the other ISP's definitely have sync and speed related problems also! Just have a look around the other various forums and you'll see that we're not alone!
N/A

Looking at the other forums floating around the web I'd say "yes" is a catagorical answer to that.

On a practical basis more or less every ISP in the country uses the same infrastructure to deliver broadband, so it's difficult to see that any provider could be immune from sync issues.

Unfortunately for customers of other ISP's Jame's isn't on hand to sort them out.