cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems viewing web pages (dns?)

N/A

Hi for the past 2 weeks on and off i have been having problems viewing websites using either firefox or IE, and i cant login to msn messenger or view my emails.

All my ip's are set to default. When i load a website using mozilla i just get a blank white page, and when i use IE i get "this page cannpt be displayed"
Msn messenger just times out and when i use the msn troubleshooter it fails at the "Test ports" option and sometimes at the "Proxy server" option.
For email i use outlook express and it just says "connecting" for a couple of minutes then fails.

I think it could be a DNS issue but as you can imagine this is becoming increasingly annoying as my internet is rendered next to useless.

Any plusnet staff or anyone else offer any help?

Thanks in advance

(ps im on dagenham exhange and using binatone adsl 2100 router-not wireless)
5 REPLIES
N/A

comon guys help me out Smiley
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

When this started happening, did you install any new firewall or other internet security software? As its possible that one of the settings in that isn't quite correct, and is stoping you using legitimate traffic as well as unwanted traffic.
N/A

No mate i havnt installed anything like this. Been using the same firewall for ages.

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): Full quote of preceeding post removed as it is unnecessary]
JonathanW
Grafter

It might be worth double checking the settings though, just to make sure that nothing has happened to it. As I know software such as the Norton packages can have problems when they update.

Other than that, I'd suggest manually setting the DNS details on your computer, to two of the following four:

Should this also fail to resolve the issue, then the next step would be to raise a link:contact us ticket.
N/A

That doesnt make any difference, however now at this time of night (midnight) i can view websites and msn works. I guess this is because internet traffic is not busy?