cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems using webcam

N/A

Problems using webcam

Hi

Can anybody tell me which network traffic priority msn / videocall / webcam is in. I just tried to use webcam via msn and its totally unusable, can not make out what is said and theres a 5 minute lag on video Cry . I have allowed all the necessary ports etc.

is there any plans to make this experience any better?

thanks
11 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Problems using webcam

Hi,

I'm looking into this now for you.
Robtheplod
Grafter

Problems using webcam

are you by any chance connecting to another plusnet customer?
Liam
Grafter

Problems using webcam

The issue of connecting between Plusnet customers on the same gateways being very slow has been resolved. It will, however, require a reboot on both sides.

Also remember that the person you connect to will only have a limited upload - so if you're also using the connection for things like P2P etc... that can max out the upload.
Robtheplod
Grafter

Problems using webcam

i beg to differ on the resolved statement. I don't want to hijack this thread as it's for another problem, but still get cripling RDP connections when both ends using same gateway (both ends have been rebooted). i will get more info when the problem occurs next time and post...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Problems using webcam

The issue of connecting between Plusnet customers on the same gateways being very slow has been resolved. It will, however, require a reboot on both sides.

Oh Yes?
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?p=395018#395018

Also remember that the person you connect to will only have a limited upload - so if you're also using the connection for things like P2P etc... that can max out the upload.

Why does the speed of their upload depend upon whether they are on the same or different gateway?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Liam
Grafter

Problems using webcam

Thanks Jelv. I've made a note to speak to Networks when I'm back in the office... unless someone else beats me to it (no doubt Bob or James may do so!)

RE the upload speed - I wasn't talking about the gateway issue. I've seen issues in the past where the person who's webcam I am trying to view has Limewire or similar open and uploading at full line rate.

It's important to remember that with ADSL the upload is far lower than the download - and using webcam will rely on the remote participant not using it all up with other things.
N/A

Problems using webcam

Been away having my tea Smiley ,

This was actually a test run with a my next door neighbour who is on a much FASTER NTL 10MB connection. My voice / video uploads to him seem fine (a bit choppy, but I expect that during peak), its just my downloads, his voice (unusable) / video (5 min lag). Both of us were only using MSN and made sure that this WAS the only connection USED on our networks.

From what I can gather MSN / Video / Voice calls has not been usable for a least 1 year or more. Back to my original question...

* which network traffic priority msn / videocall / webcam is in

* is there any plans to make this experience any better

thanks
N/A

Problems using webcam

bumping this so I can get a answer to the above ...

I also noticed that at 15.55 and 00.05 MSN disconnects and reconnects due to the change over from peak to off peak and visa versa. Any plans to fix this?

thanks
N/A

Problems using webcam

I'm looking into this now for you.

Isn't it about time PN published a full table of what's classified as what? Oh wait, that would be too easy.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Problems using webcam

Hi,

MSN traffic classified as a mix of gold and titanium with the file transfers in silver.

Not seen any other reports of MSN disconnecting at 15:55 and 0:05, the rule changes don't start until 16:00 so if it's disconnecting before this I'm not if it's down to peak to off peak changeover.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Problems using webcam

Isn't it about time PN published a full table of what's classified as what? Oh wait, that would be too easy.

Should be publishing a list of games we have classified shortly, keep an eye out for a sticky in the gaming forum tomorrow.