cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems after MaxADSL Training ends

retep
Grafter

I have just noticed a pattern following the problems I have had since my MaxADSL change (I cant bring myself to call it an upgrade).

No problems following the change for about 10 days with a speed upgrade to 1.5Mb (from 1Mb) and a stable system fine, but then down to 1/2Mb a few days later 1/4Mb and lower with dropouts too. Plusnet/BT 'find a fault' or reset some parameters ... another 10 or so days of good service then the bad again

I have had 3 cycles of this now It seems MaxADSL copes while its in training mode and then gives up does that seem to make sense?

Anyone else noticed this or care to comment?

Peter.
4 REPLIES
Firejack
Grafter

Would love to know the logic behind the software that determines the connection parameters. It seems to override setting which work in the hope of stretching a bit more speed out of your line. Then it decides your line can no longer support these speeds so puts your line down to a speed slower then what was stable. Over a period of days/weeks it creeps backup to the stable connection you had before pushing a bit to far again and this cycle goes on and on and on and on and on.

I've had the same problems as you since minutes after I was put on MAX on May the 3rd. Closed my last ticket with Plusnet as it seemed to be turning into a epic never ending tale without any end in sight. I figure I'll raise the problem again when they announce the backlog of tickets has cleared.

MAX is annoying though. The stable speed my line seems to be able to cope with is no more then 2Mbit (had 1 Mbit on normal ADSL). Yet for some bizarre reason today my connection is syncing at 4.3Mbit with an SNR of a might 2! :lol:
I'm right at the end of my latest cycle. By Monday I'll be on 1.5 Mbit again which will be nice and stable.

Ok this tale problem doesn't help you any.. but you are not alone at least!
millerabode
Dabbler

Yes I've had this. Manage to get synced with a stable rate of 1000 reported, only to find a couple of days later that its back down to 500. If I conscientiously reboot my router for a few days the systems does bump it back up to 1000 again, but then something again triggers a reduction. Systen seems very good at loweing the rate and not particularly good at raising it again. What it particularly annoying about this is that back when the free 2Mb upgrades were being done I was initially passed over as BT had deemed that my line quality wasn't good enough. My router stats indicated 1mb would be OK but I had to PAY plusnet to put through a regrade request. Having done that the line was stable at 1Mb until this MAX lark and now I keep getting pushed back to 512k. Of course CS just spout platitudes and appear unable/unwilling to do anything. Back of all this of course is the BT line into the house - Iine length to the exchange is quite far - if BT were to offer a service to check if a shorter route could be provided and give some level of guarantee about increased speed I'd potentially be happy to pay for that to be done - but ADSL still seems to be treated as an unofficial by-product of the phone line rather than the key service which it has/will become.
retep
Grafter

Thanks your answers were helpful..

Since I went into the 1/2Mb and lower zone (in the last few days) I have been rebooting the router/modem to try and force a change but no luck yet, I think I am going to reboot it once a day even when I (hopefully) temporarily get back to a stable 1.5Mb

Peter.
craiglay
Grafter

What would be nice on MAX would be to be able to easily change some connection stats. A change of Signal to Noise Margin seems in a lot of posts to make the connection much more stable for long lines. This has a direct effect on the sync speed.

Ever since I had my referals MAX SNR Margin increased to 10dB via a ticket, it has been solid.

Maybe weather conditions are affecting your connection. Max is very sensitive to weather.