cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems accessing the internet

N/A

Access to the internet today as been very patchy. This morning I could not visit certain websites and one being www.plus.net. Improved this afternoon but every 4th or 5th page I go to I get the following from BT wholesale.
   SERVICE INFORMATION 

Close Window

You have been connected to this page due to one of the following reasons. You must now shut down your browser and Internet applications before attempting to reconnect.

The BTWholesale access circuit to your Service Provider is currently down.
Your service should be resumed soon.
Or
You are testing your local connection to BT using
‘bt_test_user@startup_domain’
Or
You are testing your connection to your Service Provider using ‘bt_test_user@domain’ where domain is your Service Provider domain name.
Or
Your Service Provider is currently unable to accept your connection request please wait until service is restored or contact your Service Provider for further information.
Or
You have attempted to access an invalid Service Provider domain.

Habe seen no warning announcements from PN about that this could happen. Any ideas? No good raising a ticket as still waiting on response from 4 that I have open. 2 of which just need to be acknowledge as they are opt outs for LLU and upgrade.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

You need to disconnect/reconnect and make sure you get allocated a Plusnet IP address. It may need to be disconnected for around 20 minutes if it doesn't work first time.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Can I ask the rational behind disconnect/reconnect? Currently I'm only having problems about 20% of the time and I have a fix IP address from PN which my modem is confirming. I assume that other people are not having problems so I can discount the cause of the problem being the maintenance work last night.
Community Veteran

I'm 95% certain that when you get that message you will find that you don't have the correct IP.
N/A

well iam soooo pxssed off now......capped for over a week, and now this crap.....

can this service get any worse now, its beyond a joke,

ve been getting this bt page now all day, and NO its not the ip, its fixed, and also my p2p speeds are a bloody joke.

plus net sort this out and tell us why this page is happening, its obviously at your end, folks cant have the same error all day.....

well ive threatened leaviign in the past but 4 years loyalty have kept me here....well not no more, i aint paying 22 quid for this crap, less than 15kps download speeds on p2p, and now cant access the net properly , and trying to do some work.

so come on give me a clue as to when this is going to be sorted....oh and before you ask, i have already disconneted my modem and no joy.
N/A

For some reason, by Internet speed is ~450Kbs, and P2P Download speeds ~0-3Kbs.

This has only happened in the past two weeks, and an am really pissed off as to why they are so low.

I raised a ticket yet they just gave me the crap about the distance between from my exchange. Except i havnt had a problem until the past 14 days. I was getting around ~900Kbs and around ~100Kbs on P2P.

Not impressed at all with the service by PN. At one point, i used to think they were a reliable company, i guess times have changed.
Community Veteran

This was raised on the usergroup forums here where the following useful reply was given

Hi,

for some reason your modem /router has failed to connect to PlusNet (i have my suspicions why - but that's for another thread). So after a while instead of your router continuously trying to hammer BT's kit to connect to PlusNet they connect you to their own kit so that the router stops trying to connect.

This is good as it eases the load on BT's kit (imagine PlusNet really did have a fault and 200,000 peoples kit was continuously trying to connect!).

The problem is though - is that when you connect to BT the DNS servers assigned are BT's too, these are the servers that resolve www.domain_name.com to an IP address to connect to the correct web-site. Of course BT dont want you to surf using their connections therefore resolve everything to the same address - therefore no matter what page you try to visit you really go to the same error page.

What happens is that you'll disconnect and reconnect your modem/router so that you can connect to PlusNet - but now your PC has saved the domain name to IP address (so that it doesn't need to look it up again) but because it has the wrong address(as it got it from BT's kit that was sending you to that error page) - your always going to the wrong address until your PC looks it up again, which will only happen 12-24 hours after the last lookup or when you reboot.

To get round this what you can do is hard code the DNS servers IP address into your router and your PC .. therefore in future it will always try and get the correct address from PlusNet and if it fails - then it wont get anything at all.

Make sense? If you need further info - let us know.

DNS servers you need to hard code into your PC are 2 of the following

To add to this, if you had a session connected to BT before changing your DNS settings, you may need to clear the remembered lookups from your PC. Do this by opening a command prompt and entering

ipconfig /flushdns
N/A

Cheers, will try but don't think it will work.

This is a short reply, I did do a longer version but when I clicked on submit it took me to the BT wholesale message. So might happen again and life is too short to keep writing the same message to see it disappear in the ether. Raised a ticket will see if PN respond this year.
N/A

Take it back

ipconfig /flushdns

This seemed to have done the trick, since doing it 2 hours ago I have not encountered the BTw message.

In my longer message which was lost I did confirm that during the portal maintenance I was disconnected and the reconnect was failing on validating the username and password. Believe that this may have went on for 2 hours but can't confirm as the log has been overwritten.
Community Veteran

Glad its sorted.