cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with speed - has dropped to only 245Kbs

lyndonp
Grafter

My speed has suddenly dropped to a pathetic 245kbs. It has normally been around 2.2Mbs

My router was showing a sync connection speed of 384kbps download. I have rebooted it and that is back to 3904kbps.

I have been with Metronet 3 years without issue and was transferred to PN 2 weeks ago and speed have been actually better until today. Even the PN speedtest says it is below the level to be expected!!!

Can somebody take a look for me please.

Thanks.
21 REPLIES
N/A

The same thing has occurred to me today.

My understanding of the "acceptable use" limits during peak hours was slightly out of date it appears, as reading through the sticky above it seems I have deliberately been restricted for exceeding 3Gb on the 'vanilla' PLUS account.

I'm sure I've gone above this limit in the past- I understood it was nearer the 6Gig mark, but as I'm only a couple of days away from the metered month end I will just hope normal service is resumed.

Admittedly I was 'getting my money's worth' this month- Channel 4's 4OD is the main culprit!

PLUSNET- it would be helpful if this is the case to inform users why their connection has slowed down, rather than expecting us to trawl through the message boards (and distracting your staff from more pressing matters.)

Hope you get yours back to full speed in good time lyndonp
kind regards
lyndonp
Grafter

Thanks butanegi.

I have been through the help assistant and come to a grinding stop where it says

"...You now need to visit the Broadband Faults Checker and complete a number of detailed checks ..."

It just says I have a fault on progress so I don't know what it expects me to do - very unclear.

There's absolutely no way I should be restricted at all - well within BBYW option 2 8gb limit

I will be pretty annoyed if it is a restriction imposed by PN on me.

EDIT - have just seen the ticket says checks have been completed -DOH! So I assume ths is now with support.
Laser
Grafter

If your router/modem is reporting a sync speed lower than usual it is nothing to do with PlusNet throttling. It is what the kit in the exchange has agreed with your kit can be achieved.

Several places have had thunderstorms recently. This can easily trash your sync speed. If your BRAS profile followed it down, it can take several days to go back up after the reboot so throughput will be slower. Check the "High speed broadband" link in My Connections on the portal.

(The inappropriate irony of that link name has occurred to me on many occasions when I've checked to find it is SLOW... :roll: )
lyndonp
Grafter

Check the "High speed broadband" link in My Connections on the portal.

I don't have anything called My ConnectionsHuh I have My Account or Connection Settings but neither have Highspeed broadband.

Could you just point to exactly where you mean please.

Thanks.
Community Veteran

Click on connection settings and you should see an icon called high speed broadband. If you don't then something is wrong with your account set-up and you need to raise a ticket to get it corrected.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Re: Problem with speed - has dropped to only 245Kbs

My speed has suddenly dropped to a pathetic 245kbs. It has normally been around 2.2Mbs

My router was showing a sync connection speed of 384kbps download. I have rebooted it and that is back to 3904kbps.

Hi,

That resync down to 384kbps will have done it. The way that Max works is that if the sync rate decreases BT will decrease the throughput speed straight away, but if it goes up the throughput rate takes 3-5 days to increase.

I wouldn't be surprised if the weather was the cause of the low sync. As it's gone back up the throughput will be increased by BT within 3-5 days.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

The same thing has occurred to me today.

My understanding of the "acceptable use" limits during peak hours was slightly out of date it appears, as reading through the sticky above it seems I have deliberately been restricted for exceeding 3Gb on the 'vanilla' PLUS account.

The peak time allowance on Broadband Plus is 4GB, looks like you've just gone over. Depending on the patterns of your usage you may want to take a look at Broadband Your Way Option 2.

PLUSNET- it would be helpful if this is the case to inform users why their connection has slowed down, rather than expecting us to trawl through the message boards (and distracting your staff from more pressing matters.)

There's currently a problem with the usage emails on Broadband Plus, all being well we should have them back on next week, just need to determine the impact of switching them back on at the moment.
lyndonp
Grafter

Still couldn't find the link but have done a BT speedtest in the meantime.

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 250 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 3456 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 206 kbps

Appears the profile has reset to 250kbps. Brilliant! So now I have to wait for it to return to normal. Don't understand why BT kit has to reset the profile when there is a blip like this. You would think it would be able to recognise the line was back to its original profile and not need to do its retraining. This is a real weakness in the Max.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

BT have a system called blip logic which is designed to stop the IP profile from changing in the event of one short decrease in sync rate over a rolling 14 day period. If there are two decreases in that time or it isn't for a short enough period then it does take the full 3-5 days to go back up.

I do agree that it's a weakness with Max and would like to see the period decreased but I don't see BT changing it any time soon.
lyndonp
Grafter

Click on connection settings and you should see an icon called high speed broadband. If you don't then something is wrong with your account set-up and you need to raise a ticket to get it corrected.

Cheers - I swear that wasn't there when I looked earlier but at slow speeds maybe it didn't redraw(??)

Anyway, this says

Your High-speed Broadband Service

Your current broadband speed is 8000 Kbps

I've never had that speed in my life! It doesn't seem like it is right to me - especially as BT have kindly reset my profile to 250kbps!!!
Community Veteran

Mand or Dave may have corrected that and set the default 8000 setting for now. Once BT decide to increase your data rate over the next 5 days it should adjust itself when BT send an updated Bras profile report.
lyndonp
Grafter

I do agree that it's a weakness with Max and would like to see the period decreased but I don't see BT changing it any time soon.

Thanks Dave - doesn't PN have any clout now with BT to put issues like this to them and get a more sensible setup. I have seen many complaints of this problem before. And the fact it takes 3-5 days to get back to where you were is really not good enough. There must be a better way to stop this kind of incident occuring.

Also, such incidents must have an impact on ISP helpdesks and cause your team (and other ISPs) problems and complaints (like me!!) when it is out of your hands. A more sensible approach from BT would benefit all

Smiley
N/A

There's currently a problem with the usage emails on Broadband Plus, all being well we should have them back on next week, just need to determine the impact of switching them back on at the moment.

Ok that explains it.

Thanks very much for your response Dave
lyndonp
Grafter

I have just had a very unhelpful reply from support saying:-

Dear X,

The results of our tests show no fault with your broadband connection. Completed speed tests show that your connection speed is: none found

According to BT, this speed is within the limits of acceptable performance for broadband service.

Kind Regards,
Customer Support
++++++++++++++++++

Now I don't know if this autogenerated or not but it is extremely unhelpful to users. I now know the problem for myself but for others with a similar issue they would be none the wiser.

Surely Tech Support could have checked my BRAS profile to see what the issue was and come back with the reasons and the answer that I just have to sit it outHuh

What do you think Dave?