cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with recording usage statistics

N/A

My new month started yesterday the 17th and when I checked my usage today it reads that I have used 1.4GB on peak! As I'm only on option 2 BBYW then I only get 8GB a month, last month I almost used the 8GB on peak allowance by the end of the month, and I schedule any large downloads for off peak hours, generally between 1am and 3am.

The usage stats show that I have been gaming online (I haven't played an online game for about 2 months) and also P2P which I would never ever use on peak due to the allowance and the very poor speeds on peak anyway, oh and the 'other' which I don't even what that for. I was out for most of the day yesterday so there is no way I could have used this amount anyway.

SO I phoned and spoke to a rep would was extremely arrogant and more or less said that I was a liar, to say I am furious is an understatement and I want something sorted on my account. If the CSR's here look at my usage they will see that the usage by catergory is almost the same for web, p2p, streaming etc and looks like the usage has been 'doubled up'on categroes that i haven't even used. All I did yesterday on-peak was surf and about 20 mins streaming at a very low bitrate. I'm afraid I'm not prepared to pay for usage that I have not made considering my on peak allowance is only 8GB and would like you to investigate this/reset my account.
12 REPLIES
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Do you use a router or a USB modem to connect to the internet? Is there wireless in your house and how is this secured?

Have you completed full antivirus and spyware scans?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I've checked the raw data because obviously I'm concerned that this could be a major issue but that agrees with the figures in VMBU exactly so looks like this is correctly recorded.

Could someone else have been using the connection? For example, an insecure wireless connection?
N/A

Do you use a router or a USB modem to connect to the internet? Is there wireless in your house and how is this secured?

Have you completed full antivirus and spyware scans?

Yes I use NOD32 and Spyware Doctor (which I scanned yesterday) and used a wired router. I've never had this problem before and I am adamant that it's PM's problem as I didn't do any streaming or gaming yesterday. Furthermore wher has the past record of usage gone, there used to be a facility availble to look back a few monnths, that's disappeared. Last month I used almost 8GB on peak and 60GB off peak, I am very careful with on peak usage so there no way I would have used 1.4GB on peak yestreday especially as I didn't even do some of the activities listed! Perhaps I am nor profitable enough for PN on the option 2 package and they are 'massaging' the on peak figures so that I will move to another ISP. Perhaps that may sound ridiculous, but at the moment apart from PN's equipment not recording usage properly there can be no other explanation.
N/A

Nobody else uses the PC Dave and it's a wired router, I don't want to use wireless unless I have to. The reason I'm so convinced that it's not a problem my end is that I did no gaming or P2P downloading yesterday. In fact I haven't played any games online since I stopped playing WoW a couple of months back. It seems strange that the problem should occur on the 1st day of my new monthly usage, I am convinced that the problem is not mine.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

The past history should still be available, if you go to View My Usage it will be under "View your usage history" at the bottom of the page.

There's no reason why we would inflate the data, as I say I've checked the raw data and it agrees with VMBU. I can give you a break down if you like.
N/A

Thanks for looking into it Dave and I appreciate what your saying but it still doesn't explain my phantom gaming and P2P on peak activities. I did watch some streamed football online last night but generally do that every week. I can see the past usage history again, and it can be seen pattern of my usage is about 2GB a week on peak, as I am careful with my on peak usage due to the 8GB allowance, so I just cant see how I used 1.4GB.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Could it be that the streaming has been misidentified as gaming or P2P? Or maybe there's a software update that ran in the background that was picked up as P2P or gaming?
N/A

As far as I'm aware there wasn't any update running in the backgound but it's possible. I watch streamed football almost every week and the usage is nowhere near that, it's usually about 300-400mb per game. Thanks for looking anyway but I'm still baffled as I have used almost a quarter of my monthly on peak allowance in one day, when last month it took me a month to use the on peak allowance.
jimmyk
Dabbler

Do you watch football using Sky by broadband (or whatever they call it now!). Kservice.exe is essentially a p2p app so that could explain some of the data usage. Kservice is also IMO a badly behaved p2p app as it runs all the time consuming your bandwidth without you realising, I now manually start and stop the service when I use it.

Of course if you don't use Sky then the above is irrelevant so please feel free to ignore it Wink
N/A

No I use a paid for (legal) football streaming website and often (like last night)a P2P program to watch the games. It seems excessive to what I usually use, and it's the same software I always use. Taking into account the streaming and P2P upload and download stats that I have been sent (assuming this is the streaming football)and which come to 700MB, it still doesn't explain the gaming usage or the other usage that have been recorded. Of course I can switch up to option 3 but still.............
Agent47
Grafter

I've noticed my usage this month is wrong. It's showing most of
the usage was on P2P and none on ftp downloads, when I have been downloading large demos and and mmo clients from gamershell.com, (cracking download speeds from them Smiley )so I have been doing a bit of online gaming as well; none of which shows on my usage.
Tywyn, you could disconnect your router, and phone PN to ask if you are still connected. It will get rid of the possibility of any third party from the equation.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I've noticed my usage this month is wrong. It's showing most of
the usage was on P2P and none on ftp downloads

That's odd, checking our side it shows mainly as web, could you have another look please because I'm a bit confused?