cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with download speeds regarding newsgroups

matthewk1971
Grafter

I have to add that until about four months ago i got acceptable speeds of over 600kbs almost all the time.
Now I am lucky if I get anything above 30kbs, and far to often I get nothing over 8kbs, with constant drop outs. It's pathetic, and is definately plusnets port throttling.
Even with my downloads within the set limits, yet I still cannot use my connection.
This is NOT just within restricted hours either, it is anytime of day or night. I can currently get no more than 30kbs and it is Friday lunchtime...
Astraweb have confirmed it is throttled at plusnet (even though plusnet claim 'unfortuately this problem is occuring outside of our network please contact your usent supplier for further assistance with this query')
N/A

Can't PlusNet manage their customers expectations?

What we expect and what we get are two different things.

We wouldn't be so frustrated if we were told to expect no less than X speed (which PlusNet deem an acceptable level for that service) and if you got a speed less than that, PN would treat it as a fault.

Therefor everyone would know what they should be getting for their spondoolees....

At the mo, replace the above X with 8Kb/s
N/A

Cheers for that, I thought the gestapo had been onto it and its not any sort of tech probs. Looks like another customer of almost two years is now on their way. My apologies to all at Plusnet for trying to use a service I thought I was paying for - although I dont doubt that they will come back with the usual crap about "99.87978% of customers" blah blah blah.Its been a pleasure doing business with you over the last couple of years - even Dick Turpin wore a bleedin' mask!
matthewk1971
Grafter

I agree totally, I am already researching replacments, I am sure it won't be long.
PlusNet, number one to almost gone...(hopefully!)

Oh and btw, one of my family members is on PlusNet also, although a lower account than myself, they tried to use usenet once, for one file, after being a member for a couple of years. It wouldnt work and PlusNets response was that their account doesn't support usenet, that's like paying for an account that doesn't support email! Usenet was one of the origins of the net for Gods sake!
slytuk
Grafter

It is a bit crappy the old usenet situation. Im currently downloading 2 50meg files and getting less than 10kbps. This is typical of all usenet traffic anytime other than "middle of the night", where I wake up and find my downloads have completed - even though at the point of going to sleep, the speeds were in single figures.

Dont get me wrong, the speeds over night must be pretty decent, but I still dont see why 10kbps is deemed to be acceptable for an up to 8meg service. Even if the network is rammed with other users, I dont see why my downloads should be restricted down that far. Perhaps 50k (lets face it even 25k would be better than it is now). I know this may mean that HTTP downloads may have to be reduced from an achievable 200kbps to 150kbps to provide the extra bandwidth to usenet users, but I think the current bias is TOO extreme. Whilst Usenet may be deemed "lowest priority" on the plusnet network, there should be "minimal standards" for all traffic types. Higher priority services can give way a little more to give you what you need. - As plusnet state, 99% dont use usnet etc, so if you took even 0.5 kbps from each of these users HTTP traffic, they wont notice at all, but if this was then allocated to those of us who do use usenet, it would make a HUGE difference.

Im sure your kit has ratios for the different traffic types, just give us Usenet users a tiny bit from one of the other types and we will all be happy.
paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Im sure your kit has ratios for the different traffic types, just give us Usenet users a tiny bit from one of the other types and we will all be happy.

Seconded - but I don't suppose anyone from PN will take any notice.