cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with download speeds regarding newsgroups

Fixes: 142

Giganews.

Between 12:00 & 13:00 today I am getting speeds of around 4KBps (has peaked at 8!

This was the same yesterday, Monday...

Up to a few days ago I was getting speeds averaging 200+KBs (even during peak-time)occasionally hitting 400KBps. Why am I suddenly seeing such diabolical speeds. Is it half-term and all parents and their children downloading?

Edit: Speedtest.net reports in excess of 5300KBps

Edit 2: 13:15 appx and speed 0.5KBps. Will someone at PN please look into this issue ASAP?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

10crawford
Grafter

colhindene

Similar speeds here on astraweb. - Don't expect any response from Plusnet other than to say speeds are slow because the network is busy.

It seems all the kids during half term watching YouTube videos or similar are seen as a priority by Plusnet over providing at least an acceptable usenet service to us long suffering "naughty" usenet users.

Hopefully things will be better next week when the kids have returned to school.
N/A

Same Here

Something has gone on in the last week, used to have 650+ kbps at off-peak now it seems limited to around 480 kbps? I know something definately wrong, and I don't think it's just affecting usenet downloads as I have done various speed tests at around 3am in the morning (using HTTP protocol) where I can see the usage is at its lowest (using plus.nets own graphs), and only getting a rate of around 3800 when i should plainly be getting 5000+ (my downstream rate is 6000), i get the same speeds during peak time!!!. I think even the highest priority protocols such as HTML and gaming are suffering too. Thought i'd mention i'm on Premier Option 3 also. I noticed this happened before last week but at around 2pm the speeds jumped back up, now they don't increase at all for me during off-peak. Come on plus.net we know somethings wrong, just believe your customers and do some investigating please.
paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I don't understand why PN treat usenet users as 2nd class customers, we pay our £20-30 per month just as gamers or web browsers do yet we have to put up with this poor service. Surely some sort of compromise could be made to give usenet users a reasonable speed.
Perhaps someone from PN could comment if this is the best service we will ever get from them or if they are at least prepared to look into the situation with the intention of improving it in the future
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I don't bother trying to use Usenet with PlusNet anymore, though I am on the old BB+ which they (eventually) did advertise as unsuitable for binary Usenet. Good job it's not my main BB connection as I would have to change to a different product/ISP to just download the home page faster than it would load on dial-up, even off-peak.

I know I've said this before, but I really don't understand why prioritising traffic on the same protocol based on source, is necessary - as they clearly are doing. Why can I pull Gigs at pretty much line speed (subject to allowance) say off MSDN - but not off Easynews? This is at the same time as well, so clearly has nothing to do with how busy generally the network is. Never have had a satisfactory answer to that one, so it's not like I expect one now Sad

Don't understand why the person responsible for deciding http source-based blacklisting was a good thing, for some unknown reason decided to increase this complexity with BBYW (sites and servers). Doesn't really surprise me then that it causes these kind of problems.

Almost seems to me someone is on a bung from Ellacoya to make the Ellacoya rules as over-complex as possible, thus to justify why the kit is (not) necessary.

If we do get a response, I expect it will be the usual one of the network being busy and during peak times, and traffic such as gaming requires a higher priority (should the signatures exist on the Ellacoyas of course). Still doesn't explain why http traffic is also classified on the source location.

Seems to me they've made yet another Ellacoya change, surprisingly for the worst - which like the BB+ one in February will only be admitted to after the event.

Have they been fiddled with (yet) again?

Oh well, feels like I am flogging a dead horse, so I'll end yet another rant here Smiley

Just thought I'd mention...

At around 3:00 I got speeds with GigaNews in excess of 400KBps.

THought I'd just try a test now (11:25) ... <12KBps!

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

paulgul
Rising Star

Not exactly a reassuring response from PN - heads buried in sand springs to mind
10crawford
Grafter

Nothing new there then Paul!

The problem I think is that the title of the thread contains the word newsgroups.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Yep, I think it's the words 'Newsgroups' (and I am sure 'P2P' is included as well). These kind of users are too costly for the (IMHO still) insufficient amount of capacity PlusNet have for its users to do much at the same time on peak - so it's better to prioritise something which is more popular, say http or gaming so as only to annoy a minority of users rather than the majority.

That minority cost too much, so they'd rather you go elsewhere than have to think about any further investment. Not quite the company I joined in 2002. Still I am sure under investment will be denied now, and later admitted to in a few years - as it seems to have been done recently for a few years back.

Problem is that whoever designed the products worked on the misguided assumption that users of P2P or Binary Usenet are the heaviest. I am sure people exist who are, but for someone like myself who hardly ever uses P2P and Usenet occasionally find I am tarred with the same brush. I know I am on BB+ which is (now) unsuitable for Binary Usenet, but I still fail to see why downloading over http elsewhere is prioritised differently to other sites, all within the product usage allowance and at the same time.

Just the above gets my goat, and it seems clear to me the problems raised in this thread are due to the Ellacoyas (again) :roll:

As the February BB+ scenario has shown, changes won't be admitted to until after they've been made with no prior warning .. and then only if it affects a significant amount of customers such that their hand is forced to admit to those changes.

Just wanted to share with you that at after 17:15 I am now achieving speeds averaging...

>480KBps Smiley

Has something been changed, I am lucky, will it last?

I will do another test in a couple of hours.

paulgul
Rising Star

This week I've found that during the early - mid afternoon the speeds are poor (Useless) then at exactly 4.00pm the speeds shoot up to maximum line speed and stay there untill the forced slow down at 6.00pm. This has happened every day this this week so it must be something to do with PN deliberatly holding down speeds for whatever reason. As they seem to refuse to accept there is a problem I don't suppose we will ever know the real reason.

@paulgilliver

This has been explained (by Dave, I think) from the fact that at 4pm many heavy users have hit restictions, therefore, giving up extra bandwidth for the rest of us. Then at 6pm PN's own Traffic Management applies.

Have I got this correct?

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Yep, that's pretty much spot on. Although there is another factor too.

Let me expand on what I mean.

Overnight speeds on just about anything will run as fast as they go then around 8am there's a couple of changes. People on BBYW or PAYG with scheduled downloads will stop and interactive traffic starts taking an upturn.

As the morning draws on the interactive traffic increases considerably and the non-interactive traffic starts decreasing.

Come 4pm the Premier and Plus peak times start and the customers on level 1/2/3 management see reductions in speeds and the scheduled downloads of those on Premier/Plus stop.

This frees up a chunk of bandwidth for non-interactive traffic and why the speeds increase.

Interactive traffic will then start taking an upturn again, at 6pm the usenet rate limit kicks in just as the interactive traffic enters the highest amount of the day.

About 10pm the interactive traffic starts decreasing again so the usenet rate limit is removed and you'll start seeing speeds increase up to midnight.

Dave, something troubles me regarding what you wrote above.

If someone on, lets say, Premier 1, starts a download at 4pm while not on any management level he/she will get up to full speed depending on how busy the system is, right?

That download can continue non-stop past midnight hogging bandwidth but within the allowances and product design. Let's say, for arguments sake, the average DL speed was 5Mbps.

Later in month, now on Level 2 Management, a downlaod is started at 4pm to continue past midnight again. Speed is now limited to upto 1Mbps. Suppose the average speed was 1Mbps.

Bandwidth is still being used, just less data is downloaded in the same period.

Carrying on with the analogy of a car (which has been used before) normally travelling at 70mph, understandably, with more traffic at rush-hour it can slow down. But with many cars having their speed directly limited to 20mph doesn't mean other cars share the unused 50mph - they simply are left to queue behind them.

This is where I cannot understand what happens with BB. The difference between the first and second downloads is 4Mbps. Are you saying that that speed is shared with other users? A pipe, or whatever, is still being hogged by the fact that a download is still in progress?

I'm really struggling with this concept - does anyone else share this struggle or is it just me :?:

N/A

Rubbish download speeds

Can someone help. I have been away for a few weeks and am aware of the new products etc that have been launched including the new peak times etc etc. I am still on the BB Premier (£21.99 per month) so as far as I am concerned my old rules should still be applying (off peak is 8.00 to 4.00pm).
I have tried downloading via my usual Giganews and am getting speeds of about 20.0kbs whereas I was getting average speeds of about 270 kbs.
I assume that Plusnet have now applied the new terms to ALL contracts (ha!) and new just the new probuct launch. If so i'm off.