cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with download speeds regarding newsgroups

obitus
Grafter

Have just recently started using newsgroups as a means of downloading files.

When using Newsleecher ive found that my download speeds to be very irractic, even sometimes comming to a complete stop. The attached image of the graph in the lower left hand corner should help to visualise this Screenshot

While on Saturday when i started using the service i was downloading at a constant (and very acceptable) speed. Ive checked my Download ristrictions with plusnet and im not over them, although i have upgraded to a higher limit.

I have also removed/uninstalled all my firewalls/virus scanners and am now not recieving a download limit of more than 5kb/s.

I was just wondering is this a normal occurance?

Thanks for your help.

[Moderator's note by Jonathan (chillypenguin): Oversized image converted to a link, as it was distorting the forum layout..]
35 REPLIES
serenityvalley
Grafter

I'm seeing poor performance with Astraweb at the moment. 200K/s before 8AM and reducing to as low as 3K/s during the day. A few weeks ago I was getting 450K/s in the early hours and still mostly respectable speeds later on.

Gateway hopping (disconnecting and reconnecting until you're on a different gateway - use this page to find out what you're on http://users.plus.net/@gateway ) sometimes helps, but not today - I've been on just about all of them and it only varies from awful to very awful. Sad
plusnetsux
Grafter

this is normal for a bank holiday.
plusnet do not have sufficient bandwidth to cope with surges in demand.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

The way the network is designed is that interactive traffic like browsing and gaming will get priority on the network. On a day like today (a wet bank holiday) more people will be at home than normal on the 'net which means there's an increase in this higher priority traffic and the lower priority stuff like P2P and usenet will see a speed reduction.

If it's anything like yesterday then there'll be an increase in usenet speeds between around 4pm - 6pm and then again after 10pm.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

this is normal for a bank holiday.
plusnet do not have sufficient bandwidth to cope with surges in demand.

It's more a case of how our network handles surges in demand compared with the alternatives. The way our network works is to ensure that interactive traffic remains unaffected which you can see on this graph:

http://www.plus.net/support/network_performance/broadband_packets_drop.shtml

Without any form of traffic management a surge in demand that push utilisation above about 90% of capacity would result in the possibility of ping spikes and packet loss across the board for some regardless of product of protocol. Push further past 95% and it will start to affect almost everyone.

[Moderator's note by Jonathan (chillypenguin): Oversized URL converted to a link, as it was distorting the forum layout..]
N/A

for a 2meg line try around 5 connections also. I have a 1.2 meg line and use 5, when i was on a 4mbit i used 7-10 so try that too.
obitus
Grafter

Just recieved this from the servers tech. support

The results from our website's speedtest shows that HTTP traffic is passing significantly faster than NTTP traffic from our servers. This definitely indicates that your ISP may be limiting just NNTP packets on your connection.

I didnt take into consideration that it was a bank holiday so perhaps that is the cause.

I increased the number of connections to the server to 7 and i did notice an increase in downloading speeds but still way off the other day when i started using the program.

Will try again tomorrow and see if there is a difference.

Thanks for all your help.
Zathras
Grafter

Re: Problem with download speeds regarding newsgroups

I have also removed/uninstalled all my firewalls/virus scanners

Surely not?
obitus
Grafter

Re: Problem with download speeds regarding newsgroups

I have also removed/uninstalled all my firewalls/virus scanners

Surely not?

Opps forgot about that lol.

Back on :p
N/A

It's quite common to get poor/unusable download speeds with PlusNet (for newsgroup stuff).

Search the forum to see......
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

It's quite common to get good speeds too so long as expectations are set correctly as to when speeds will good and what speeds should be seen and when.

With binary usenet the slowest speeds will be between 6pm and 10pm, the best speeds overnight and speeds between will depend on network load, the busier the network the slower the speeds. A normal weekday will see better speeds than a weekend for example or a bank holiday because of the number of people online.
N/A

It's quite common to get good speeds too

I agree, but can PN manage their prioritisation of Usent traffic so it is actually still usable during busy times - say 80kbps?
paulgul
Rising Star

Speeds are poor at the moment with giganews. I'm on option 4
I really think your customers can expect something better than is - it's a disgracfull service
obitus
Grafter

I did notice a big increase in speed at around 12.30ish which was great (although too late for me to be honest as im working mon - fri 9 - 5.

At the moment (6.30pm) im getting speeds at around 40 kB/s.

So for me to be getting the most out of Usent i should be downloading at later hours?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Yep, between 6pm and 10pm there is a rate limit in place on binary usenet traffic, outside of these hours there isn't so speeds will depend on how busy the network is overall. The best speeds will be overnight because there's plenty of spare capacity. Most people will just schedule the downloads overnight when they'll get the fastest speeds.