cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with PN virus checking: Ticket No.21930488

Bookman
Grafter

I have posted the following in case anyone else has had the same problem and they need a quick answer like I did.

I posted to the forum in the last couple of days about a problem with the PN virus-checking service on my account. The question in the first part of the thread was sorted OK and PN got the service working for me. But then I found that there was still a problem but of a different kind. So I added another post to the thread - but got no replies. The original thread is here:

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=55960

I then raised a ticket pointing out that I was receiving virus alerts which were addressed to an institute in India but had my domain as the From address. PN asked for the source text of an example of the emails, which I provided.

Last night there was a reply from PN saying they were passing it to their networks team. The message to the team asked them to check the quarantined original because the one to me seemed to have the wrong To address.

This morning I received a virus alert addressed to me and with an unknown address in the "sent from" in the body text - which seems to make more sense. So it looks like PN had got the addresses the wrong way around on the earlier alerts - perhaps not so surprising given that the PN staff are probably a bit distracted at the moment!
4 REPLIES
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

Firstly apologies for not picking up the earlier thread, it's been a bit manic in here the last few days and it's easy to miss stuff at times.

The ticket has been passed to the networks team, I've just given them a gentle nudge Wink, so you should get a definitive answer shortly.
Bookman
Grafter

The ticket has been passed to the networks team, I've just given them a gentle nudge Wink, so you should get a definitive answer shortly.

Thanks Mand, but the team have not put my mind at rest.
They say: "The mail actually addressed to this mailbox, [my private domain address, deleted here by me], the address quoted in the information that you got is part of CC: addresses that it was also sent to. I can confirm that the mail is a virus which is why it was quarantined. If you however want that email then I can release it on your request."

I have replied in the ticket: "Whatever the explanation, I think PN needs to review the text and layout of its alert messages because this has worried me badly. It gives the definite impression that you are sending the example alert - saying that the virus is from my doamin address - to [email address at Indian Institute] and to me. Twice in the alert the Indian address is given as the To address."

I still don't understand why the alert appears to be sent to the Indian address. Unless you had got them the wrong way around!
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

I've asked them on the ticket, and in our internal forums, to get this sorted for you.

Apologies that the reply was not clear in the first instance.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

For speed, I've had a word with one of the networks guys and answered your ticket myself in plain English. Smiley