cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Linksys WAG54G

N/A

I have a Linksys WAG54G Wireless Router connected to two PC's, one via LAN and one via Wireless.

My ADSL connection is very unreliable and drops regularly. Sometimes the connection will restart but usually I need to go to the router interface and reconnect. The router sometimes says "retraining" and the front panel shows one flashing light.

The connection drops regularly, and when using the router interface I get different error messages such as PPPoA LCP negotiation fails

It makes no difference if the internal Linksys firewall is on or off

This seems to have been a problem since my connection was "upgraded" to 1Mb but I am not certain if this is the case.

Anyone got any ideas?
12 REPLIES
N/A

Can you post the line stats from the router?
N/A

Problems since Plusnet Auto Upgrade

I to am experiencing issues with my connection since i was automatically upgraded to 1MB. Before the upgrade my connection was 99.99% bullet proof using a vigor 2600 plus connected to a buffalo wireless AP and a Buffalo Wireless card. Since the upgrade on 99% of websites i visit there is a 10-20 second lag as the page loads ......i know its not a major issue but it is a real pain...ive tested the wireless connection and its fine ...it also happens if i browse on my desktop which isnt wireless......my router readings are

SNR Margin 18.5
Loop Att 56

According to draytek (router manufacturer) these readings dont make for a good adsl connection Sad
suec45
Grafter

I had the same problem when we got our WAG54G. I did various things and now it is totally steady...Connection never drops.

1. Does it do the same if the router is next to the computer? If not the you are expecting too much out of the wireless.

2. Update the Firmware, this stopped my problem and also seemed to give it more range.

3. Buy some Aluminium Pie Dishes from the supermarket (about 50p for 10) and sellotape one to the aerial on your router. Point it towards where your compter is like a sattellite would do.

4. Now get another pie dish and move it around the wall at the back of your computer until its in the right place to bounce the signal back to the aerial onthe back of your PC. Now pin it to the wall in that place. You should find you get a much more stable connection and it will also increase the range/signal of your network.
___oDiN__
Grafter

a blue peter guide to signal improvement !! i love it

i have some double sided tape and some washing up liquid bottles spare of needed :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
holdtight
Grafter

Can you post the line stats from the router?

If your using the WAG54G- V1 you wont find the line stats as linksys only included them on the V2 just to save you the time of searching
N/A

The problem is not with the wireless side of the router as my PC is connected directly into the unit via ethernet.

The firmware version is v1.02.5 and I have tried updating the firmware but this makes no difference at all. So I cannot get the line stats as holdtight says, these are only available from the v2 WAG54G.

Is there anything else I can try or is there any other way of getting the line stats?

Thanks.
Community Veteran

A whoosh test gives line stats but plusnet can be reluctant to do these...
N/A

jdtingay,

What you are quoting is the version of your routers firmware not the version of the router, the router version can be found on the Linksys label underneath the router or on the router status page top right hand corner underneath the firmware version number. The stats. can be found on the DSL connection page. The link below is a useful source of information.

http://www.linksysinfo.org/

Hope this helps

Steve
N/A

On the router status page I only have the firmware version and not the router version and I cannot see anything that looks like a version on the bottom of the router, so I would assume that I have a version 1 box?

The info from the DSL connection page is as follows:

Downstream Rate: 1152 Kbps
Upstream Rate: 288 Kbps
Encapsulation: RFC 2364 PPPoA
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
Multiplexing: VC

I think the v2 boxes have the extra info on this page which leads me to believe it's a v1 box.

Do I need to get Plusnet to do a whoosh test?
holdtight
Grafter

Yes your right it looks like you have a V1 as V2 has many more features and the status page gives you the following stats amongst other things

DSL Status: UP
DSL Modulation Mode: GDMT
DSL Path Mode: FAST
Downstream Rate: 2272 Kbps
Upstream Rate: 288 Kbps
Downstream Margin: 28 db
Upstream Margin: 27 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 30
Upstream Line Attenuation: 17
Downstream Transmit Power: 0
Upstream Transmit Power: 0

If you raise a contact ticket and explain your problem i cant see any reason why plusnet wouldnt do a whoosh test for you to get your line stats to see if it is the reason for the troubles your having

Can you provide a link to the location of firmware version 1.02.5 as i would like to take a look

cheers
Bill.
N/A

FIRMWARE

The latest UK firmware for a wag54g is 1.02.7

download it here

ftp://ftp.linksys.com/international/firmware/WAG54G_AnnexA_ETSI_v1.02.7_03_code.bin

there will be a new firmware out soon as AUS has just had a release 1.02.9

the v1 devices in my opinion are crap, port forwarding stops working when you remotly connect to your machine a few times.

wireless radio slowly become unstable longer box is powered up.

good thing is the 3 year manu warrenty... gonna swap mine for a v2 device as i have had two v1 devices that exhibit the same problems.
suec45
Grafter

a blue peter guide to signal improvement !! i love it

i have some double sided tape and some washing up liquid bottles spare of needed :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheesy I guess there are more stylish and expensive solutions but this one works for me Smiley