Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Broadband Speed

N/A

Date Speed Achieved (kbps)
21-04-2006 11:51:47 988.3
19-04-2006 08:30:21 1849.8

Does anyone know why today I'm recieving something closer to a 1mb connection when previously I was recieving 2mb, I am suppose to be on a 2mb connection and now its running at this speed, I am not downloading, I have closed all programs that could have an effect and I've just had the Plusnet webpage open?

Can anyone help me, or let me know why this might have happened?
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

have you tried the infamous bt speed test?
N/A

Have you got the link to the BT speed tester.

thanks
N/A

nevermind I think I found it. This is the result I got

The speed test has completed on test server speedtester1.nat.bt.com for user 01305776360 and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

778 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

what does this mean?, Because I'm on a 2mb connection
jagger
Grafter

Jonny,

The best way to test your line is to log out of Plusnet and log in to

speedtest_user@speedtest_domain.

then go to
http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ to run the speed test.This way you take PN out of the loop by connecting direct to BT.You can't use the connection for anything but the speed test but it can show up probs on the PN network.

Another fine tool for checking your line is

http://www.l8nc.com/index.php

This was used successfully to indicate the PN gateway problems of last month,and helped us get it sorted (after a pitched battle of course).

Have you just been moved onto MAX?
N/A

I got an email from Plusnet about my package changing to Premier Option 1 and the email about being upgraded but other than that I havnt heard anything to be honest.

anyways. below is the results I got from the BT tester

The speed test has completed on test server speedtester1.nat.bt.com for user 01305776360 and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

778 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

Does this mean i've been downgraded to a 1mb connection because these results don't seem like i'm on a 2mb connection anymore?

whats going on?
jagger
Grafter

If you,ve alrready been moved to MaxDSL,and BT have done the business at the exchange, then your line may well wobble a bit for the first 10 days or so.

If you logged off PN and logged into BT to do the speedtest,then the speed problem is with your line,equipment, or the exchange.

If you didn't log off it still could be Plusnet.

And,just as an aside,your line could be giving you 400Mbps and would still qualify as a 2Meg line by BT's standards.

:shock:

Oh yeah,and apparently,when the MaxDSL checks are underway over the first few days I think you need to reboot your router/modem occasionally to allow the procedure to work properly.Sorry,don't have a link to that but maybe someone with more in depth knowledge will post one