cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem picking up pop mail from Yahoo

Marco
Grafter

I have set up things correctly as far as I know, but even though there are new, unread messages in my plusnet inbox Yahoo always says "no messages downloaded.."

I've set the pop server as mail.plus.net and entered my plusnet username and password. There are no error messages, it just never gets any mail

Any ideas what I could check?

Have you managed to pick up your mail from Yahoo Mail or Hotmail etc?

Thanks

Mark
6 REPLIES
Walrus
Grafter

The only 'gotcha' with Plusnet's email setup is the username, which is specified as {PNusername}+{PNmailboxname} for anything other than the default box.

For example, if you setup a mailbox called 'mark', the username would be:-

"lazzarato+mark"

I'm not familiar with Yahoo's mail system, if you are only using it in order to remotely access your PlusNet mail via the web, you might consider PN's own offering http://portal.plus.net/general/webmail.html
Marco
Grafter

Thanks - I haven't set up any mailboxes at Plusnet so I guess the default must be right for me ie anything@lazzarato.plus.com

If I add anything along the lines you suggested in the Yahoo setup,like +mark, I get a username error message. Only lazzarato as username doesn't cause an error

Yahoo just asks for the pop server and my username - when I try accessing my mail it says no messages from lazzarato@mail.plus.net. It's hard to correct when there's apparently no error

I want to access from Yahoo just from convenience really. It's an account I've had for about 7 years and have got used to using it everywhere, including for picking up pop mail

Thanks for you advice Smiley
Community Veteran

All you need to do is goto the settings and change it to the following-
mail server - mail.plus.net
usernae - your username (case sensative)
password - your password (case sensative)
Deliver to Inbox
Dont tick overide default port
Choose the other options to your preference.

Chris
Marco
Grafter

Thankyou fa55dsl

I did exactly as you said right at the beginning of the whole process. Then the same as now; I know there are several unread emails in my inbox, I get no error messages, but am told "No new POP3 mail from lazzarato@mail.plus.net".

I don't know what else to do. Is there any other route for getting help?

Thanks again

Mark

PS The other options 'leave mail on pop server' and 'use filters' make no difference on or off either
N/A

It looks like Yahoo is sending the wrong account name.
I'm not sure how exactly you need to set it up, but it appears that Yahoo is adding your username, to the mailserver address - hence it tries to get mails from lazzarato@mail.plus.net, rather than lazzarato@lazzarato.plus.com
Hopefully this might give someone in the know about how Yahoo mail works a clue in the right direction....
Marco
Grafter

Yeah, I thought that at first except I checked my mail through the plusnet webmail and it says 'Welcome lazzarato@mail.plus.net'

Also I tried a little experiment. I sent mail from Yahoo to someone@lazzarato.plus.com with the plusnet webmail window open and hit the send/receive button - voila there's the mail I sent...

Then I tried to look at it from Yahoo 'Check other mail - mail.plus.net' and refreshed the plusnet webmail window and the mail has gone!

Yahoo is managing to collect the mail,delete it from plusnet and dump it somewhere. When I tick the 'leave mail on pop server' box it remains

All this seems to show that Yahoo is picking it up but where the hell is it going?
I've set the destination to inbox but it's not going there

Hope someone can throw a little light on this

Cheers

Mark