cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem connecting with RealVNC between +net accounts

Username
Grafter

For some months/years we have used RealVNC (www.realvnc.com) to manage PC's at remote locations, always using PlusNet as the ISP (Primary between business accounts, but sometimes from domestic to business accounts).

Recently we have noticed that the response has been getting slower, to such an extent now that is it no longer posible to use RealVNC.

We have also tried connecting to a PC running VNC Server with the +net as the ISP from a PC with BlueYonder as the ISP, again the responce is unusable.

Is there anything that Plusnet are doing to the traffic to cause this, if so how can we get back to a workable solution?

BTW: I must add that we are not using the standard VNC port numbers and add an offset.
13 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Hi,

Have you tried raising a ticket regarding this issue?
Username
Grafter

Experience in the past of raising tickets that relate to more than one account results in confusion...

If you you think it will help I'll happy to try again
James
Grafter

Feel free to raise it and I'll then be able to pass it to Networks for you.
oliverb
Grafter

It's not the gateway problem is it?

There's a fairly well known issue where if two accounts are on the same gateway they get excessive delays. I understand it's fixed for business to business accounts but not for home accounts.
James
Grafter

I thought that had been fixed earlier this week.

I don't think this is related as per the reference to connecting to a machine on Blueyonder's network.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

I've been using RealVNC for a long time, using the standard ports with no problem from PlusNet to PlusNet/Other ISP. I've just tried a connection between a PAYG account and a Premier account on different ports and it worked well.

Phil
Robtheplod
Grafter

the gateway issue is still outstanding between plusnet clients - both home->business and business->business. i keep being told it's resolved, but RDP, like VNC struggles....
oliverb
Grafter

FWIW IPsec's been rock-solid for the last couple of months, apart from the occasional gateway issue.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Hi guys,

This should definately have been fixed. Me and Liam have just tried to replicate a problem whilst both connected to ptn-ag1 but is seems fine.

Are pings affected? Is is just certain remote connectivity/vpn apps?

If you can provide details of times you have had problems, what apps you are using and the username of each account along with the gateway they are connected to then I'll happily look into this again.

Kind Rgds.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Username
Grafter

Received a disappointing responce from my ticket... What we have setup used to work wonderfully, but PlusNet have now decided that only a certain range of ports can be used. I don't remember being informed of this Cry

Due to the design of the platform, we are unable to specifically add any needed ports to the platform unless there is a prooven case on why it is not psosible to use the standard ports.

We do recognise that custometrs may not wish to use the standard ports or for reasons of NAT/PAT, more than one VNC sessionm behind NAT may be needed.

As such, we ensure that VNC is prioritised on the following ports

5800, 5801, 5802, 5803, 5804, 5805, 5806, 5807, 5808, 5809, 5810
5900, 5901, 5902, 5903, 5904, 5905, 5906, 5907, 5908, 5909, 5910
James
Grafter

There's currently a freeze on additional ports being given priority. Essentially this is down to us fixing problems with a sticky plaster and not fixing the root cause. These should be picked up via their signatures without our having to merely prioritise ports.

Otherwise the list will start to get huge and unmanangable.
Username
Grafter

So are you saying that if we carry on using our choosen port offset things will get better are the signatures will be recognised? But we can't carry on using our choosen port offset as it is so slow it's unworkable :?

It appears that PlusNet have just given us an extra load of unwanted and unplanned work reprogramming routers etc
James
Grafter

If it appears that way, then I apologise. Please feel free to run "Wireshark" and send a capture through to the Networks which will help us improve our signature detection.

I do however apologise for any additional effort that we are putting you through to solve any similar problems.