cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Privacy policy doesn't restrict PlusNet emails

N/A

I have seen PlusNet's Privacy policy quoted many times in attempts by PlusNet staff to defend their actions in reneging on their undertaking to email all Premier customers with details of the new post-FUP products and pricing. PlusNet claim that any customer who signs up for the Privacy policy (as strongly advised by PlusNet incidentally) cannot thereafter be sent a PlusNet email about any product or service other than the one signed up for. Thus, so the argument goes, anyone who signed up for a £39.99 Premier 2MB service cannot be sent information about the £21.99 Premier 2MB service, for example.

But, the PlusNet Privacy policy (reproduced below to save you looking it up) doesn't say this at all. It does say that customers' personal details will be safeguarded so as to prevent spamming/abuse by third parties -- but it certainly doesn't say that PlusNet themselves will be restrained from sending emails about anything.

To be totally accurate, there is a url in the middle of the Privacy policy (paragraph 64.2) which only those customers who want to change their Privacy settings are invited to click on. Since this is an optional read, it cannot form part of the policy - even if it does now say therein that opting for the Privacy policy would prevent customers from receiving PlusNet emails about cheaper product offerings. My commercial lawyer confirmed to me this afternoon that such an optional pop-up could not be considered an integral part of the Privacy policy.

Now this is GREAT news - not just for the thousands of customers who are still in the dark about the cheaper £21.99 tariff and the irresistible Up-to-4/8MB products which PlusNet has given to them, but also for the distraught PlusNet executives who thought that they were being prevented by red tape from sending the promised emails out to their customers.

Can we now assume that the promised email will be rushed out to all those customers who should have had it four months ago?

Privacy Policy

59 Definitions

59.1 "portal" means the interface through which a Customer accesses Services provided by us.

60 Privacy Policy Statement

60.1 Your right to privacy is very important. We recognize that when you choose to provide us with information about yourself, you trust us to act in a responsible manner. We believe this information should only be used to help us provide you with better service. That's why we have put a policy in place to protect your personal information. Below is a summary of our policy.

61 What personal information do we collect?

61.1 In general, when you visit our websites and access information you remain anonymous. Before we ask you for information, we will explain how this information will be used. We will not provide any of your personal information to other companies or individuals without your permission.

61.2 However, some of our sites require registration to access.

61.3 There are occasions where we will ask for additional information. We do this to be able to better understand your needs, and provide you with Services that we believe may be valuable to you.

62 Protecting your privacy

62.1 We will take appropriate steps to protect your privacy. Whenever you provide sensitive information (for example, a Credit Card number to make a purchase), we will take reasonable steps to protect it, such as encrypting your Card number. We will also take reasonable security measures to protect your personal information in storage. Credit Card numbers are used only for payment processing and are not retained for marketing purposes.

62.2 We will not provide any of your personal information to other companies or individuals without your permission. However, we may need to provide your name and delivery address to third parties that we use for the purposes of delivering specific Services to you (e.g. ADSL service, or a shipping company if you have asked us to send something to you.)

62.3 Our websites may provide links to third party websites. Since we do not control those websites, you are responsible for reviewing and abiding by the privacy policies of these third party sites.

62.4 If you would like to change your preferences for the electronic communication you receive from PlusNet, click here.

63 Use of cookies

63.1 Our websites use cookies for various reasons. Cookies enable us to provide you with a better experience by allowing us to understand what areas of the website are of interest to our visitors. These cookies do not track individual information. We also use cookies when you register for one of our products. In this situation, a cookie will store useful information that enables our website to remember you when you return to visit us. Cookies from our websites can only be read by our websites.

64 Data storage

64.1 Many of our websites that collect information will store and process that information in databases.

64.2 You can help us to maintain the accuracy of your information by notifying us of any changes to your address, title, phone number or email address. You may do this online through the 'My Details' section of 'My Control Panel' on the portal.

65 Comments and Questions

65.1 We welcome comments and questions on this policy. We are dedicated to protecting your personal information, and we will make every reasonable effort to keep that information secure. Due to the rapidly evolving technologies on the Internet, we may occasionally update this policy. All revisions will be posted to this section.

65.2 If you feel your privacy has been breached, you can contact us.

Simon
14 REPLIES
N/A

I also noted in the other thread about banks not advising customerts of new products.... this is untrue - there is not a month goneby that i don't receive some literature with my bank statement

Banks also send you (and have to) changes to your terms and conditions and changes in interest rates and fees - they do this for all their products not just the one you are using - so PN should do the same.

If the privacy policy is restricting (which I do not beleive it is) trhe sending of information which relates directly to the products the customers have then PN should change the privacy policy. They can obviously email the customers to ask if tehy accepty the change in privacy policy. I suggest they make this change in the new T&C's which are due any day now.

My own opnion is PN are putting up every barracade they can in order to make as much profit as possible at the expense of customers without directly saying so.

What is wrong with Neil sticking his hands up and saying yes at PN we are having problems (including lack of numbers of staff) and we have made some bad decsions and choices?

Listen to your customers PN or there will only be the core of hardened supports left and those that "can't be bothered" to do something about it.
N/A

If the privacy policy is restricting (which I do not beleive it is) trhe sending of information which relates directly to the products the customers have then PN should change the privacy policy. They can obviously email the customers to ask if tehy accepty the change in privacy policy. I suggest they make this change in the new T&C's which are due any day now.

They don't have to email customers about any changes to the Privacy policy - according to paragraph 65.1 of the Policy which states:

Due to the rapidly evolving technologies on the Internet, we may occasionally update this policy. All revisions will be posted to this section.

But in any event, the Policy as it stands does not restrain PlusNet from emailing their customers about anything they want.

Simon
N/A

PlusNet should have long ago informed their own customers of the price changes. It is more the right thing to do than anything else.

However, i can't disagree with their stance that those that have opted out, should not be sent such details.

Banks also send you (and have to) changes to your terms and conditions and changes in interest rates and fees - they do this for all their products not just the one you are using - so PN should do the same

As noted above, I feel the information should have been sent. The problem your own account here is your referance to terms & conditions.

PlusNet are legaly obliged under their own contract to send out such information, regardless of the opt out.

The major snag in the theory, is that to provide new products of a similar specification that are cheaper, yet maintain the existing package, is not a change the the terms of the product provided. As a result, no notification is needed.

In a nut shell, I can't fault PlusNet for not doing it, but it would certainly be the right thing to do.
N/A

The major snag in the theory, is that to provide new products of a similar specification that are cheaper, yet maintain the existing package, is not a change the the terms of the product provided. As a result, no notification is needed.

So could I therefore reasonably assume that PlusNet are using this "method" (excuse) in order to to ensure they get the highest income possible at the detriment of the loyal customer?

Personally I think PN are starting to head the way of Tiny. Initially TIny had excellent customer service, good communications etc and as they grew things got worse and worse (I know from experience as we used to do warranty calls on behalf of Tiny), so I see sme paralels.
N/A

I don't know, this is something only PlusNet could say and only we can speculate on.

Having said that, one of the things PlusNet have always done, is to mantain existing products for those that remain on them.

The Homesurf product is one for example.

Whilst the policy looks to be to the detriment of exisisting customers, when you look at homesurf, it was to their advantage.
N/A

I actually agree.

Customers should have the choice to stay on an exsisting product (as often new products don't compare). For example how many times do we hear people saying "they don't make things like they used too!".

However what I would say is to be fair, open and honest (which is what PN gives the impression they want to be) they should and could keep all customers informed about their options better than just on this forum which even then only comes up by someone raising a close question.... its too hit and miss.

The greatest asset to PN are their customers and they also promote themselves as not sopending on advertising and gaining new customers by word of mouth..... this can only happy if exsisting customers feel they can recommend plus net - I suspect many that could 6 months or 12 months ago would be reluctant to do so now.

Perhaps its time to reward exsisting customers by being informative and promoting loyalty (perhaps stay on a product and receive £1 month discount or similar). Yes I know referals are there but the scheme is lacking at 50p a month. Perhaps a free month for each memeber that joins is more appropriate?
MrToast
Grafter

I think its unfair to expect Plusnet to accurately work out which marketing emails you personally want and which you don't. Especially if you have opted out.

The Plusnet front page promotes the current offers. I don't know who wouldn't be aware that things are changing rapidly and it might be an idea to see what’s around... if you are interested that is.

Threads arguing about the T's & C's always seem to miss the wood for the trees.
N/A

The problem is the definition of marketing.

To me keeping customers up to date with the range of options open to them in relation to a service that is provided (I.e ADSL) is not marketing, but purely information to help you be an informed customer. If they sent me emails trying to sell me a new router or to take out an insuarnce scheme they recommend now thats marketing.

Perhaps PN should offer all customers the choice of a monthly newsletter or the like?
N/A

Perhaps PN should offer all customers the choice of a monthly newsletter or the like?

Cheesy ROFL! This must be the last thing in the world that PlusNet want. But I write, design and produce lots of newsletters for my clients, both printed and electronic, so if PlusNet ask nicely, I will do them one at family rate....

Working title: The Flying Pig.

Simon
N/A

Simon,

That last post gave me the biggest laugh of the day so far. Excellent.
N/A

In honour of your working title I have changed my avatar accordingly.
Please feel free to use the image on the cover of your newsletter!

May I suggest that within the newsletter you can include topics within headings such as

Till the cows come home

If never rains but it pours

What goes up must come down

:lol:
N/A

...and I guess it would come with a cover-mounted cyanide capsule to enable readers to comply with the Privacy policy.

Free Gift: Privacy Pill

Simon
N/A

This is correct and has been done after re-evaluation. We will shortly be sending emails out to those customers previously contacted to advise accordingly so keep a look out
this posted by DT here http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31748&start=15 talking about if higher paying customers (over £22) will get higher download limits, suggest that they emailed these customers about the limits, but they seem not to have told them about the lower cost products at the same time.
LiamM
Grafter

I'm with Mark.

I'm sat here in my office and I actually laughed out loud reading this.