cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prepaying on PAYG

N/A

Prepaying on PAYG

Since I'm new to 'Pay as you go', here's a couple of obvious things for the FAQ that aren't as clear as they could be (I have gone hunting!):

1) What's the day that's the 'end of the month'. That is, when my allowance gets reset?

2) What's the normal method to plan ahead and pre-pay for a bit more downloading in the current month, so as to pay £1.50 instead of £1.80? (The page I found looks more like a 'switch to a higher contract' one)

Thanks in advance
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Prepaying on PAYG

The end of the month is the end of your payment month which you can see from this page
and you can change your included bandwidth from here https://portal.plus.net/upgrade_process.html
N/A

Prepaying on PAYG

Thanks, I'll plan round the billing date.

But that 'change data transfer' thing doesn't seem geared towards a 'top-up' mentality. If I got 1/2 way through a month, with 75% of my allowance used, and I knew I was going to download something big, would I then use that page to add a couple of GB? And this extra would come into force straight away? And then, if I knew the following month would be light usage, would I have to switch it back down again before that month cut in (or if I did, would I be taking my top-up away from myself)?

Cheers
Community Veteran

Prepaying on PAYG

I am not sure if you can do what you are suggesting.
Perhaps the more knowledeable could advise.
But have you considered scheduling your big download for the midnight to 8.00am free period.
N/A

Prepaying on PAYG

Well, I suppose so, but I'm really confused if you can't switch back down. I took 'PAYG' to work like mobile phone PAYG. That is, you pay a higher price if you go over your limit without prepaying, and buy extra credit as and when you think you'll need it.

I'm fine with the idea of paying more for the same amount if you go over without paying upfront (that's just like the idea of an 'arranged overdraft'). But surely PAYG can't only offer the alternatives 'pay the penalty price, or permanently switch to a higher included allowance', can it?
Community Veteran

Prepaying on PAYG

You can certainly go back down but I am not sure how long after increasing it before you can.
I seem to remember that an increase takes effect immediately but a decrease only comes into effect at the next billing date. Also you can't make a decrease in the same month as you make an increase.
This means, I think, that an increase would apply to the current month and the following month i.e. two months in all.

Why don't you raise a ticket if you don't get a clear answer
The_10th
Grafter

Prepaying on PAYG

I understood that only one change a month was allowed.
N/A

Prepaying on PAYG

Thanks holtlane - maybe I'll try it out. You can see why I said it was 'one for the FAQ', though. How it actually works doesn't seem to have leapt off the screen at us with blinding clarity!