cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Premier vs PAYG

mapletree
Grafter

Premier vs PAYG

I am thinking about upgrading from 'Home Surf' to Premier or PAYG. However I can't figure why there is such a price differential between these two products. I have studied the specs and they seem virtually identical. If so, why would anyone choose the Premier account or am I missing something?

TIA, M
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Premier vs PAYG

The two accounts are the same as far as functionality are concerned but how data is paid for is where it differs. With PAYG you pay for each GB of data above the 1GB inclusive. With premier you have no limits to the amount you can download.

The PAYG account also does not have traffic shaping applied and is considered a 'clean' connection, whereas the premier account does have traffic shaping and SUP allowances and P2P/Usenet/FTP allowances which can affect your speeds to varying degrees.

If you intend to use more than 5GB of data a month then premier will work out chaeaper, if less then PAYG is what you want.
N/A

Premier vs PAYG

With premier you have no limits to the amount you can download.

I'm afraid there are limits on how much you download!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! even with unlimited premier
Community Veteran

Premier vs PAYG

I think Peter meant there is no limit as to how much you can down load on the PAYG package.
Community Veteran

Premier vs PAYG

No, I meant PlusNet don't have a cap on premier (or any product for that matter) so while your connection may slow down the more you download, you don't reach a limit after which you can't download anymore.

All products are still subject so contention.
N/A

Premier vs PAYG

No, I meant PlusNet don't have a cap on premier (or any product for that matter) so while your connection may slow down the more you download, you don't reach a limit after which you can't download anymore.

so slowing down your connection to dial up speeds is not a capHuh?

Whatever
mapletree
Grafter

Premier vs PAYG

The two accounts are the same as far as functionality are concerned but how data is paid for is where it differs. With PAYG you pay for each GB of data above the 1GB inclusive. With premier you have no limits to the amount you can download.

I get it Cheesy

The PAYG account also does not have traffic shaping applied and is considered a 'clean' connection, whereas the premier account does have traffic shaping and SUP allowances and P2P/Usenet/FTP allowances which can affect your speeds to varying degrees.

If you intend to use more than 5GB of data a month then premier will work out chaeaper, if less then PAYG is what you want.

I'm not sure I understand the traffic shaping. Can you explain more about this?
Community Veteran

Premier vs PAYG

Where have you been for the past 4 months Wink

Please see the vision statement in the announcements forum and the Sustainable Usage Policy. There is also some useful info on the PUG website here.

Traffic shaping involved prioritising certain types of traffic so things like HTTP (web) and email always have priority. Below that comes P2P/FTP/Usenet who's speeds are reduced to allow enough bandwidth for the higher priority traffic.

Basically there are allowances for total usage and P2P/Usenet/FTP. If you exceed those allowances, various things can happen, primarily your speed is reduced (traffic shaped) for certain types of data in stages between the various peak periods. It then all gets reset at your next billing date (ish).
Community Veteran

Premier vs PAYG

I think Peter meant there is no limit as to how much you can down load on the PAYG package.

Oh, sorry. Smiley