cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Premier - static IP

N/A

Premier - static IP

Having a static IP is causing problems for me logging onto chessclub.com with xboard, so I asked for a dynamic IP to be told that the Premier account has always had static IP and only BB+ has dynamic.

I question the veracity of the first statement – the £22 a month package used to be dynamic as I recall; and wonder why I would have to pay a regrade fee to get a worse service and a dynamic IP. Any technical insight appreciated.

Customer is king....... customer gets what they are given ..... customer gets what we decide they need ...... customer is a threat to my business – lets get rid of them :-)
8 REPLIES
N/A

Premier - static IP

GHi there,

Your assumption is unfortunately incorrect.

Only BB+ accounts have dynamic IP's and none of the others have ever had dynamic IP's.

In what way is a static IP causing you difficulties. This should not be the case.
N/A

Premier - static IP

I thought several years ago when I paid £22 a month the IP was dynamic and you had to pay extra for static .... .... but it seems I am mistaken.

chessclub.com tell me that users from this ISP have been causing them problems ?!
They require use of their client, which runs under only Windows, for guest accounts from users identified with this ISP. (So dynamic IP might not help anyway.).

For interest, why must Premier be static and why is BB+ dynamic?
prichardson
Grafter

Premier - static IP

Hi,

Until we brought the Broadband Plus product out, we did not have the ability to assign static IPs due to legacy equipment on the network. So in theory, it is now possible.

However, due to the product design rather than the equipment, we do not have the functionality to provide dynamic IPs on Premier at this time.

Kind Regards,
N/A

Premier - static IP

If Chess Club have a blanket ban on an IP range from a particular ISP then having a dynamic ip withing that range, from the same ISP isnt going to help much.

If chessclub cant distinguish the static IP's which are causing them difficulties from those which are not, then they are doing something wrong.

Your IP is static and only you can use it. If they cant whitelist that IP then perhaps its time you found another club.

Someone is waffling.
Community Veteran

Premier - static IP

In what way is a static IP causing you difficulties. This should not be the case.

If someone is a naughty boy on my club/forum and they have a static IP, then I would hope that a ban of the IP would cause them problems logging on, as that is the desired outcome.

This may not have happened here, and I wouldn't want to cast aspersions.

Perhaps the club in question has had another PN user who has been a naughty boy/girl, and they have banned a range of IP's, unfortunately covering this poor soul too..?
N/A

Premier - static IP

Interesting... thanks.

I can log on with my chess program account using the static IP, but cannot log on as a guest with the same IP - which I have previously done for years. Freebird (a chessclub admin) tells me this is because of 'trouble' with this ISP. I had hoped he could just whitelist my IP, but cannot/didnot.
N/A

Premier - static IP

I doubt getting a dynamic IP would help then. Presumably they block the full range of IPs from accessing as guest - and not just yours.
Community Veteran

Premier - static IP

Perhaps access through a web anonymiser may help?

I have not used one in years - I suppose they still exist?

Just a thought..