cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Premier customers and 10 GB limit, could we buy extra BW?

N/A

I'm concerned about the new lower limit for Premier customers.

Now I've probably never used as much as 15 GB in a month, but as a developer for Mandriva Linux and postmaster and tech support for a voluntary organisation, I usually use over 10 GB and most of it is FTP.
I don't want to move to Option 2, can't get higher speeds, can't even get the max for 8MB, and I don't want to pay every month for bandwidth I don't use.
But I'm getting worried because this month (first after the new VMU) I've already hit over 6 GB and I've been away for a week. I don't want to download overnight. That is not eco-friendly and I hardly ever leave my computer on. I work daytime, so most of my usage has to be at peak time.

I don't mind paying for an extra couple of GB a month if I need it, but there is no option to do so. PAYG has now dropped the allowance so much that it would cost far too much for me. I can find no details of business premier, and if I could I'd probably be counted as a residential customer trying to avoid capping because I need to sync files on three servers, so that's one reason for heavy FTP use.

How about it PN? Any chance of allowing Premier customers to buy extra GBs if and when they need it?
12 REPLIES
N/A

Seem to make sense.
N/A

This has been mentioned to Plusnet already.

Then answer in short is that they will look into it and consider it, but not just yet. The main reason for this is because if you start selling BW to people on top of the already allowed limit you would need to have the BW roll over every month ( whats not been used ). This is not a simple thing to implement and I know PAYG have been asking for this for a very long time, with little joy to date.

I to agree that having a scheme such as that of Zen's where by you can buy additional Peak time usage ( not losing the off peak unlimited theme ) would be an excellent idea. This would indeed keep people happy and allow them to purchase what they really needed ( £1 or £2 for that extra 1 or 2 GB instead of a direct £8 jump to £29.99 ).

So there we have it, yes its on the "To look into list" and possibly on the "To try and implement" list, but the bad news is, its not going to happen any time soon.

Regards
leahk
Grafter

Re: Premier customers and 10 GB limit, could we buy extra BW

I don't want to download overnight. That is not eco-friendly and I hardly ever leave my computer on. I work daytime, so most of my usage has to be at peak time.

You do realise that at the same time the limit was reduced, so was the definition of peak time - it's now 16:00 to midnight only. The 08:00 to 16:00 period is no longer part of peak time so does not count towards your 15GB peak time limit.

So depending on your definition of daytime - you should be able to do most of your work off peak.

That said, I agree that we should be able to buy extra bandwidth if needed.
Ianwild
Grafter

How about it PN? Any chance of allowing Premier customers to buy extra GBs if and when they need it?

Absolutely!

We are not quite ready to announce anything yet, but we said when we launched the new Premier product range that we would be offering just this over the summer, and I can confirm that the work will be going ahead.

It's discussed here under the stuff about "Platinum"...

http://www.plus.net/support/member_features/vision_update.shtml

You have hit the nail on the head here when it comes to our strategy for the future. Not only we will let people pay for extra bandwidth, we are also looking at a number of other options in terms of the quality of service and types of traffic prioritisation we offer. For now though, you will just watch this space - Delivering these solutions isn't something that can be acheieved overnight and we want to be absolutely certain of our plans before we announce anything :-)

One more thing I'd like to add here is that there isn't any particular need to be concerned about your usage. If you reach 15GB, nothing bad happens in the long term and we won't get upset with you. You will find your speeds are reduced, especially on the less time sensitive protocols, but you will still be able to use your connection for things like surfing and email.

With Regards,

Ian Wild
N/A

Good to hear Ian Cheesy

I voted yes, because 15GB on option 1 is a bit limited imo and I have considered option 2, but since I cant get any higher than 2MB on my line (even with MaxDSL...once I get it) I see the cost as being too high just for raising the limit to 22.5GB.
N/A

personaly i think there should be sub options to the packages

eg:
option 1: Normal: 15gb usage per month.
option 1: peak - 25gb peak usage per month (£5 extra)
option 1: peak2 - 30gb peak usage per month (£8 extra).

or something along them lines

Mainly because i dont agree with slowing the service down when we reach so much usage. i would rather have top speeds untill 15gb then have that automatic 3 thing on (p2p blocked and slow net). i wouldnt use full 15gb, but i have used 12gb this month (E3 was too tempting... had to watch and download 360 items during peak) (usage resets on 15th for me)

There is no point in most of us upgrading when we dont even get 8mb at full speeds...

I like the idea of buying extra bandwidth, but i hope its not one of two things

1) Expencive. be cheaper to upgrade
2) Automatic. u go over it charges you automaticly for extra bandwidth.
Mand
Grafter

We will provide more information on this in a few weeks time but your feedback will definitely be taken on board.

We cannot confirm exactly how this will be delivered at the moment but as Ian said previously, as soon as we can give some details we will be posting them, and asking for feedback wherever possible.
N/A

Why not have automatic billing for extra usage? That is, add the cost of extra gb`s used onto the monthly bill automatically and thus save anyone getting thottled to lower speeds. I would also like to see this implemented on bandwidth usage to stop my site from being pulled without notice.
N/A

comes to something when premier account goes payg... if you start this .... then maybe when customers get used to it... reduce the 10/15gb down further..8/12..or whatever.. oh thats ok they will pay the earth for peak time... there could be implications to customers agreeing to this ... plus will say oh they asked for it......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
things do change at plusnet remember ... dont fall into the trap...

anyway why couldnt the usage be 12 gb..instead of 10gb with average 3gb per week for premier before anything cuts in... i am sure that is easier to manage.......
N/A

anyway why couldnt the usage be 12 gb..instead of 10gb with average 3gb per week for premier before anything cuts in... i am sure that is easier to manage.......

I don't like the idea of paying for Premier, but neither do I like the idea of being slowed down or blocked because I go over 10 GB. About 4 times a year I download complete Mandriva alpha and beta isos which are at least 4.4 GB each, and they're only available with bittorrent, which is gaining in popularity because it takes a lot of pressure off ftp servers, more and more big files are only avaialable using p2p. True I do some of the big downloads at night, but I won't leave my computer on all night just because I want to download a few files and am afraid I'll use all my bandwidth.
Like many people, I work during the day, so the peak time is when I use the internet most. That's why it is peak time. If everyone started living at night then the midnight onward period would get crowded.

I'm never going to see blistering speeds, be lucky if I ever get over 2 GB/s, so it would be a waste of money to upgrade to impossible speeds for a few more GB download that most of the time I wouldn't use. Now I'm afraid to stream anything in case I go over the 15 GB, and my speed is slow enough that throttling could take me to dial-up speed anyway.

As for PAYG on an unlimited account, that's the way that many ISPs have already gone. My last one has a 2GB limit before you start to pay.. and that was an unlimited account when I joined. So there are a few still around that give more bandwidth, which of course you pay for, and such as Carphone Warehouse are overwhelmed with applications, that's claimed to be about to trigger a price war. But I've found that if something looks too good to be true it probably is. Where are all those free unlimited accounts offerred on dialup some years before bb came along? They either started to charge the same as the rest or they went bust.

Anyway, I don't think PN will take much notice of ideas that give b/w without extra money. Although if the limit was 12 GB that would be much better for me, but I can't see that happening.
N/A

There are ISPs that give more allowance, allow you to buy more and allow carry over.

If thats what you want then it is available now... and it WORKS!!! unlike PNs new VMBU...would you pay more for being throttled when you had not used your 10Gb?
N/A

One more thing I'd like to add here is that there isn't any particular need to be concerned about your usage. If you reach 15GB, nothing bad happens in the long term and we won't get upset with you.

What exactly does happen?

I have just been put on Level 1 Management but when I click the link to on my usage page I see no mention of any numbered levels so I am wholly lost as to what this means and what happens at the various levels.

Hopefully with only a week left to my billing month and I now know when peak time is (for whatever reason I had assumed 8am-7pm) it should not be a problem in the future, but I would still like to know as the linked help pages at current are useless.

Michael.