Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Premier V Option 2

petsyb
Grafter

Premier V Option 2

Ok , now I have been on Prem. for ages

However it seems now p2p of peek that was unlimited is now being heavily restricted I can get on average 80k a sec from midnight to 8am then down to 20k a sec until midnight again where I used to get 500k a sec from midnight till around 9am then down to around 200k up until 4pm

is it worth moving to option 2 I usually do a lot of p2p downloading during off peak hours, however I can download very little now,

On Option 2

1) Will I get unrestricted p2p from midnight till 12.00pm and downloading during these hours will not count towards my peak usage

2) Are the peak usage hours still 4pm till midnight and is there where my monthly usage would still only be calculated during ?

3) Will I have to sign up for another 12months? (if so why should I as I have been with plusnet for years now and am being forced on to this new option as Premier is getting so slow )
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Premier V Option 2

The additional P2P restrictions added to premier recently are being reconsidered next week. This may or may not result in them being removed so Premier matches BBYW option 2 better.

So I would wait and see what happens in the next week or so before deciding to change packages.
N/A

Premier V Option 2

Re: Point 1- Any usage between 0800-1200hrs will be taken from your "paid-for" allowance. See point two below. I do believe that BBYW generally has fewer restrictions than the legacy products, but you're probably better off on BBYW Option 3 if P2P is important to you.

Point 2- no, paid for hours are 0800-0000hrs on all BBYW products. This means you can only download for free between midnight and eight in the morning.

Point 3- no, this is still a monthly contract. The only way you'll be tied in for twelve months is if you move house and take deferred activation fees or ask for the free one port router when you move.
petsyb
Grafter

Premier V Option 2

thx petervaughan, have we any idea how this will go personally I like premier as it is with no dload limits between midnight and 4pm even if they are a little slow

lestones from what I could read to move to BBYW option 2 I had to either chose a monthly contract that I had to pay for or move free to sign up for another year !
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Premier V Option 2

The current setup of the P2P/Usenet speeds on Premier will be evaluated once we've had chance to see the impact of the additional bandwidth added last week. At the moment I can't say what will happen or if there will be any changes because it's the kind of decision that needs lots of number crunching and calculations as well as monitoring of the platform in real time.

If you move to BBYW then you will be switched to a monthly contract as there's no annual contract option on BBYW, there's no fee to move to change to BBYW (unless the monthly cost is higher then you pay a pro-rata amount for the difference in subscription fees).
petsyb
Grafter

Premier V Option 2

thx dtomlinson,

do you have a rough date when that will be ?

One would presume as prem. does not have the other factors such as phone usage you could maybe increase unrestricted usage a little past option2 !
petsyb
Grafter

Premier V Option 2

rough date Anyone ?
Community Veteran

Premier V Option 2

Hi there.

I cant give any date right now, rough or otherwise.

We are having a meeeting this morning to discuss this issue but I cant promise an immediate decision at this stage.

Rest assured that we are very conscious of the feedback from our customer base and we will evaluate this very carefully.

As soon as we have the necessary information we will update you.
Ianwild
Grafter

Premier V Option 2

The meeting will be at twelve now - I can't make any guarantees that there will be an outcome today however.

The problem here is that we delivered Premier, as per the Broadband Blueprint very sucesfully for a number of years. Nothing had changed from our side, but we found towards the end of last year that spending £4.90 per customer on capacity wasn't providing the feeling of an unrestricted Premier product any longer. This was because the average usage of the product had increased, and so light users were no longer subsidising heavier users effectively within the product. Worse still, people were getting very inconsistant download speeds. At that point we discovered a big problem with using prioritisation / contention alone to manage network usage.

It boils down to the fact that prioritisation is thread based rather than connection based. That means one person who is able (Either deliberatly, or because they are using different software) to open more threads than another person will get a faster download speed. With Premier, a situation occurred where some customers were reporting they were getting download speeds of 3Kb/s while we could see other Premier users downloading on the same protocols at full line speeds, simply because of the number of threads they had open.

The only fix for that to continue and provide a fair share to everyone within the bounds of the product design Blueprint was to put in place rate limits. The question now is whether:

- We find we have the current rate limits wrong, and we are, as an average, delivering less capacuty to Premier customers as a whole than we believe and than was set out in the Blueprint. That is the subject of investigation before the meeting. If we can increase the rate limits without making the product loss making, then fair enough!

- We come up with a better way to distribute the capacity - Maybe looking again at 'clean to', although that didn't work because everyone wants to use it at more or less the same time (In the evening!).

- We change the Blueprint again (IE increase the capacity spend, which we already did by approx 50p* per customer a couple of months ago).

- Something else someone other than me will suggest!

* - We introduced 3 additional segments for use by Premier and Plus customers at an additional cost of £3000 per day.

Regards,

Ian
petsyb
Grafter

Premier V Option 2

Thx mbkelly & ianwild

Personally I was happy with premier as most of my usage was off peak (midnight till 4pm) and had no real need for high usage during the weekend or evenings I would schedule my large downloads to come down off peak.

Though I am finding recently that premier is being throttled more and more during off peak hours

I don’t want a internet phone or any other thrills just good of peak speeds with a large usage limit and premier was great for that

So guys how did the meeting go ?
Ianwild
Grafter

Premier V Option 2

More actions came out of the meeting - Nothing to report yet, but once we have some more analysis we should be able to do something.

The reason for the slowdowns isn't that we are throttling harder, it's that more people are using it so the same bandwidth isn't going as far. It may seem like semantics, but it's important that people understand our position on this so you can argue with us effectively!

Ian
petsyb
Grafter

Premier V Option 2

Thx ianwild

does that mean as people move of premiere to option 2 or any other options that it will release more bandwidth for those that are left on it ?
Community Veteran

Premier V Option 2

Not quite, as the proportion of users on Premier fall, so will the allocated bandwidth.

Chilly
N/A

Premier V Option 2

The people who are more dissatisfied with Premier P2P performance could be those who use it most, so some of these [heavy usage] folks moving away *could* go some way to restoring the balance between light and heavy users within the product set, meaning the experience gets better for those remaining on Premier.

Conversely, folks like me who had been subsidising heavier users (at home I use <1GB/mth mostly) within the Premier product set may well take the opportunity to save a bit of cash, and end up with a similar or better experience on BBYW. Thus increasing the imbalance between light and heavy users [more heavy and less light users]. Clearly this would mean that bandwidth available for Premier products would be being shared amongst heavier users, meaning that the product performance would deteriorate further.

Either way, its not a fault of PN, but it is a problem they need to look at and come up with a solution.

I guess the solution won't become apparent until PN can get a picture of what is happening directionally with users and their experience with Premier.
BlueMeany
Grafter

Premier V Option 2

The way I see it - and I'm just a bystander who doesn't bother reading everything to the letter - is that there is absolutely no incentive to get Premier users onto BBYW.

I'm on Premier option 1, and my useage means (and I'm by no means a heavy user) that I would have to choose BBYW 3. This might save me 50p a week in monthly costs, but the advantages of staying on Premier far outweigh that.

However, I do see P2P speeds are ridiculously low (I don't use it much - less than 10mp3's a month maybe). However, I'm not going to change because I can't guarantee that P2P download speeds will be any better on BBYW - along with download speeds on various HTML downloads.