cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Premier Accounts and Fair Usage (another query)

N/A

I know many users have had discussions going regarding the new Fair Usage Policy, but I am not opposed to the Fair Usage Policy coming in from April, as I believe it is a lot better than most other ISP's including BT. But I do have the following query to consider.

I have been looking at my usage over the past few months, and even when used a lot I never got past 30GB. I currently have a monthly Premier Account contract (even though its been put down as annual on my details) of which I pay £29.99 for a 1mb connection, but come April the £29.99 will be for my usage allowing me 50GB.

Now for me I might as well drop down to the 30GB fee for £21.99, yet F9 plan to impose charges on users for doing this, which I personally do not wish to have to pay for. I could go to another ISP for a month's contract and then come back to F9 for free, or I could just move over to Plus.com for free, so why can't I just downgrade in April for free..

But should I have to pay for this as it is F9 that have changed the contract in the first place.

You could look at it from a customers point of view, how about the users bill F9 for changing the contracts and imposing the Fair Usage. This I don't think they would like, as why should they be billed for doing it. But if the customer wants to change the contract they have to pay....
10 REPLIES
N/A

Regrading & fees

HI,

I seem to remember seing a recent posting on one of the forums where it was explained that downgrading or regrading as its also called, incurrs a fee NOT so much because F9 want to make sure they make a small amount of money (profit) from this process but because regrading involves BT doing things and as a consiquence BT make a charge which F9 pass on to the customer, I believe there are also administrative process's involved too but I dont know what these are exactly.

Ivan
quelquod
Aspiring Pro

You have this a bit confused I think Ivan. It has been that speed regrades involved BT but altering the amount of data a user transfers of course doesn't.

Force9 have made it clear that if you do anything which reduces your contractual monthly payment then that is a chargeable downgrade. In this case woodviews (who's currently uncapped) would like to benefit from a smaller cap than the new one which Force9 are proposing. Force9 aren't planning to charge him for the downgrade they're imposing (hardly surprisingly!) but would charge for a voluntary one.

The Force9 rules seem quite simple if a bit one-sided - you pay an admin fee for anything which reduces the amount you pay Force9.
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
N/A

thats correct,

I don't mind paying the £29.99 for total uncapped usage at 1mb, but as F9 are changing the contract, and after checking my usage over the past few months, and on some I class as heavy usage I still don't break the 30gb limit. So why would I want to continue paying £30 for a 50gb cap if I'm not going to use it, but could still have 30gb limit on 1mb at £22 saving me £96 a year.

As the Premier Accounts are monthly contracts, then surely changing the package to a lower price should not incur a fee, especially if you want it to start from the end of your current billing month, as each new month is actually a new contract.

As I said I could easily move to plusnet instead of f9 for my access, and this move would actually be free even though I would be downgrading my account to a lower capped limit.

But I do think F9 should offer during the first month users the choice of a single downgrade to a different capped limit free of charge. After this month then any downgrades are chargeable, even if you didn't take the free one offered.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

As move to PlusNet from F9 wouldn't be free as it involve us placing a change order (not a migration) to change the realm from f9.co.uk to plusdsl.net for a start.
N/A

so I would have to go to another isp then come back for it to be free..

are f9 going to offer a one-off free downgrade Huh

also where do monthly contracts stand regarding change of package to a lower priced one ....
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

No, there won't be one-off free downgrades. If you look at the cost of the downgrade fee you'll easily save more than that, in one or two months in most cases.

Monthly contracts will be treated in exactly the same way as annual as far as downgrading is concerned.

The fees are there to protect our investment and to ensure that needless downgrades aren't done, e.g. by people trying to avoid the fair usage policy. The reality is there are two choices here, either we have the downgrade fees and offer the lowest cost broadband subscriptions we can or we raise the subscription fees for all.
N/A

I appreciate what you say Dave,

but like me how many other people are on 1mb Premier Accounts and don't use what the caps are going to be.

Fair enough if I was using 50gb a month then I wouldn't want to swap, but if I'm using less than 30gb then there would be no point on continuing to pay for 50gb a month.

Here's another thought, of which I don't think F9 would implement, as it would lose them money. Why don't F9 automatically downgrade only the customers that don't use anywhere near what the new limits are going to be.

ie if on new it will be 75gb but you only use 40gb then drop them down to the 50gb, if on 50gb but use less than 30gb then move them to this package. This will help with customer relations, and also give an incentive for customers new and old not to go with another company.

At the moment I now have to see what the kind of bandwidth GuildWars is going to use, as just registering caused a 170mb download, and when another friend tested it, it had done 110mb transfer in 2hrs because of the way it does its streaming.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

It's an idea, but as you say I don't think it would be done, mainly on the basis of how near to the 30GB do you take it. An average over the last 3 months of less than 30GB's, last month less than 30GB, only those under 30GB for each of the last 3 months.

The key things to remember are that for most customers they are going to be seeing a free increase in speed from April possibly up to 8Mbps come August and that by downgrading you will be saving money every month.
N/A

good point on both Dave,

My idea would be take it over the past 3 months, but only if the average per month was less than 25gb.
David_W
Rising Star

I'm also on the 1MB package, £29.99 per month, my usage this week is currently standing at 223.68MB, so times that by 4 is about 1GB for this entire month, the past 3 months...

Feb-Mar 6.73GB
Jan-Feb 15.21GB
Dec-Jan 9.75GB

So as you can see, my average for the past 3 months is 10.5GB, or 1/5th of the 50GB plan that F9 will stick me on in a couple of weeks. Even less when you consider how much this months *could* be. So I'll do a little math..

April £29.99
May £29.99
June £29.99
July £29.99
Total = £119.96

With the 30GB plan and 2MB (double the speed!!)

April £21.99 + £14.99
May £21.99
June £21.99
July £21.99
Total = £102.95 (£87.96 total Sub Fee)

So, in 3 months your Original fee is more than on the 30GB plan over 4 months. So month 4 could be considered a "free month" saving you £29.99, if you can look at it like that. Or in other words, its £17.01 cheaper, including the one off fee, than what you would be paying on the original 1MB plan.

I'm sure however if you really want to, you can ask F9 to be nice, and keep you on the slower speeds for the higher cost, or you can stick with the 50GB limit and just have faster speeds, and not lose anything but gain speed, the choice is really yours, but £14.99 is nothing at all when you consider how much you will be saving, and if you find 30GB really isnt enough for you, you can go over it three times before F9 will ask you to move, so THEN you can upgrade to the 50GB package, at no cost and still have saved yourself £17.01.