cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power Saving + Routers

pcmanning
Grafter

Power Saving + Routers

Question! If I switch my router off to save power at nights what effect would that have on my profile?

Likewise whats the impact of a power cut? We get them periodically down here, and when they do, they tend to happen in pairs - Power goes, 2 mins later power comes back (I think an automatic reset?), trips again (fault whereever obviously not fixed) and trips again - for about 30mins.

Router on all the time at the moment to sort out another issue, but when that's sorted I'd like to put it back a timer to save juice.

Paul
(Trying to be green - just don't ask about the cars!!)
5 REPLIES
Mand
Grafter

Power Saving + Routers

Hi

Switching off the router overnight should not have any effect on your profile, its only repeated resyncs, or drops in sync speed which would prompt this as a general rule.

Good on you for being energy conscious. Smiley
N/A

now...

if we could only figure a way to harness all the hotair +net release, our energy problems would be solved.

merry xmas.
dennisb66
Grafter

Power Saving + Routers

Instead of switching off PC and Router at night, I now put my PC in SLEEP mode.
Is this a good or bad thing to do :?:
Regards
Dennis
N/A

Power Saving + Routers

Dennis when you say sleep do you mean standby or hibernate?

Standby would still eat juice as its still technically switched on just not doing anything major.

Hibernate is like it being shut down but with the added bonus of your rams memory being filed onto a selected part of your hdd. Basically it means that your system will start up with exactly the same programes running as when you put it in hibernate ( good thing me thinks ).
dennisb66
Grafter

Power Saving + Routers

Hi Tom ,my sleep mode puts it into hibernation,so I guess this is ok.
Regard
Dennis