cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post by Dave Tomlinson

munsy
Grafter

Post by Dave Tomlinson

Very informative post by Dave, But a lot is said by it being locked for replies. The main thing people have to remember is that the internet is a new concept and we as customers are the drivers.

We pay are money and we should receive a satisfactory service, if not then we go else where.

I must say that I have been here for only 5 months and do not like what I see but saying that do not believe it is better any were else. Things will change and the good thing with ISP's is that word and mouth plays a big part of people joining.

We all have a option so you choose, and use your options and try other isp's. You don't know until you try.
73 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Post by Dave Tomlinson

It's locked for replies in line with the policy that 'Sticky' posts should be locked. We welcome discussion in a seperate thread, but there is nothing worse than Stickies with pages and pages of replies. They're they're for informational purposes and easy reference, and discussion can take part, and is welcomed, elsewhere. Such as in this thread for example.
munsy
Grafter

Post by Dave Tomlinson

That was a quick reply nice to see, not a touchy subject I hope. Let's start getting some people's comments to the statement from Mr Tomlinson then.

Is he fair with his comments, can you start a poll.
LiamM
Grafter

Post by Dave Tomlinson

I, personally, think it was a very constructive and informative post.

I would welcome discussion on what others think, within this thread. But constructive comments only. Useless comments wont be tolerated. We need to work together, stick together and be constructive in what we say.
munsy
Grafter

Post by Dave Tomlinson

You have gone on the negative immediately straight away why?

Have you had problems in the past if so please do not tar everyone with the same brush.

I hope I have not hit any nails with asking for comments on Dave's comments which affects all of the plus net customers.
Firejack
Grafter

Post by Dave Tomlinson

Have to say I'm very impressed by this post. Finally it gives customers a solid direction in which the service is to be developed.

Realistically I think everyone knew eventually broadband in this country had to become managed. All the developments in speed have come at the user end with the main backbones lacking developments to increase overall capacity and bring down costs.

Would of liked to of seen P2P treated like Usenet will be in the future, i.e you can download up to 15GB's of P2P traffic at full speed. Speaking as a gamer, more and more gaming content is being released over P2P to reduce hosting costs of demo's, patches and in-game video footage.

LLU... woah.. missed that story. Really glad to see Plus.net sourcing their bandwidth elsewhere and opening opportunities of new products to customers. BT has been dragging its heels for years. Good to see Plus.net feel the same and are expanding their options instead of being caught with their future relying solely on BT.

Quality of Service, not in the traffic shaping sense, but customer approval has been much talked about recently. Plus.net offer so much more then other providers. Giving the best value for money. However I think most people would be happy to see a freeze on the price of the service during the next round of price cuts, which the industry continually seems to bring each year, in favour of that extra confidence someone will pickup the phone/reply to a ticket or fix a broken server promptly.
arlehaven
Grafter

Post by Dave Tomlinson

A very very informative, impressive and very well written post. Now we can see where the future lies. Patience is a virtue, we must be patient while the changes take place and yes we will all probably trip over the odd yellow brick, but as Dave say's, maybe we will get to see the wizzard.

"We are managing our platform for the majority and not for a minority to use an exponentially growing amount of P2P." I and am sure many others will welcome this comment.

Rarely and sadly do you see the word Thanks in these forums but i'll use it now. Thanks Dave for taking the time to make such an interesting and informative post.
N/A

Post by Dave Tomlinson

We have looked at the possibility of including external binary usenet traffic within the 15GB, but this seems unlikely due to the difficulties in measuring this type of traffic across each customer.

15GB on Plusnet's newsgroup server i can live with but some of us pay for external binary newsgroups so i really hope this is 'unlikely' Evil

I've only been here a few months and have already seen many changes and that post just confirms they don't really know what they doing, just stabbing in the dark all the time hoping to save money and stuff the customers.

Other countries don't have all this mess, so much for 'Broadband Britain' pffft Shockedops:
Desperion
Dabbler

Dave Tomlinsons "sticky" on prioritisation.

As a "24 hr wonder" (newbie) to Plusnet, having had a good look around, I am impressed with their customer service, their well planned organisation and Dave's clear, concise, comments when dealing with my personal concerns and the concerns of this post ie Traffic Prioritisation. Oh that other ISP's were as organised and communicative.

As I have said in a previous post, if this level of communication and organisation is sustainable, then I look forward to a long liason with Plusnet.

More power to your elbow and those of your colleagues, Dave :lol:
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Re: Post by Dave Tomlinson

But a lot is said by it being locked for replies.

Hi,

As Liam says, that's the forum policy, I've edited the post and added a link to this thread for discussion.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Post by Dave Tomlinson

Would of liked to of seen P2P treated like Usenet will be in the future, i.e you can download up to 15GB's of P2P traffic at full speed. Speaking as a gamer, more and more gaming content is being released over P2P to reduce hosting costs of demo's, patches and in-game video footage.

The possibility of doing something like that is being looked into for P2P and external binary newsgroups. However, the development work involved is far higher than what's been needed for the changes that have been made to Usenet. For example, it's pretty easy for us to record how much someone downloads from our usenet servers because the usenet servers themselves records the usage as part of their general monitoring. With P2P this isn't as easy a job to do because you aren't downloading from one of our servers.

However, different options are actively being investigated so I can't say that it won't happen, as part of our ongoing profiling changes, just that it won't be an overnight change. As soon as I know something more I will let you know.
N/A

Post by Dave Tomlinson

Dave,

The fact that Plus Net are looking at such possibilities is very encouraging and continues to show that forum feedback does get listened to and heeded.

Great to see.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Post by Dave Tomlinson

15GB on Plusnet's newsgroup server i can live with but some of us pay for external binary newsgroups so i really hope this is 'unlikely' Evil

Other possibilities are being looked into as regards external binary servers and P2P traffic, but at the moment I can't give you a final answer.

The building of our managed platform is a long job and involves a lot of work and will take time for it to be completed and all the profiling work be done. We are only part way there and the changes we are making now are the most complex and ones that require the most development work.
N/A

Post by Dave Tomlinson

[With P2P this isn't as easy a job to do because you aren't downloading from one of our servers.

However, different options are actively being investigated so I can't say that it won't happen, as part of our ongoing profiling changes, just that it won't be an overnight change. As soon as I know something more I will let you know.

I just wish these options could of be planned before you introduced the traffic shaping and placing of nntp and p2p into the bronze queue. Is the growth of p2p really that bad and unsustainable that it was necessary to do this right away? I'm sure if you had an alternative approach designed and put into place along the lines of the usenet proposals of a 15gb cap or alike, or the options you're maybe thinking about, then you wouldnt have lost as many customers as you have done recently. Not to mention the damage it's done to +net's reputation.

It's a shame as most reasonable people agree with the plan to keep a sustainable network, however strongly disagree about the way +net has decided to do it and implemented it.
N/A

Post by Dave Tomlinson

I think, in fairness, that this method of management is fairly new and with any new projects, come implementation, difficulties will arise and unexpected results will be obtained.

Perhaps this is the case and the shaping or management was a bit heavier than planned or expected.

The fact that Plus net are seeking to improve certain aspects of this scenario have to be welcomed.

It could be that this is one of those cases where the benefit of hindsight is a wonderful thing.