cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Migration to another ISP

N/A

Hi all, just wondering about something regarding my account. I joined Plusnet over 18 months ago (21/06/2005) and have largely been happy with my service, which is the "PlusNet Broadband Premier Option 1" I use p2p a lot, and have recently started playing online games and as a result need a stable connection, so have ruled out the ADSL Max option on my account.
I still get 2MB broadband, but have become aware of numerous other ISP's offering up to 8MB with unlimited useage for around the same price or cheaper. Is there any way I can upgrade the connection on my account to 8MB without utilising ADSL Max (which I've heard is a bit unreliable) or changing to one of the BBYW packages?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated Smiley
21 REPLIES
N/A

They are the same up to 8MB is ADSLMax
FooAtari
Grafter

Are you sure those ISP's are really unlimited? I looked at a number of ISP's before I moved a couple of weeks ago as I thought I might change to another ISP, but couldn't find anyone that offered more than PN for around the same price...

Remember and check the usage policy's and peak time restrictions and things.

I believe all ISP's that offer 8mb, are ADSLMax, and it's usually speeds "up to" 8mb.

I have been on ADSLMax at my previous address and my new address, and while it isn't quite as fast at my new address, 3.5mb (5mb at old address) my connection has always been stable after the initial 10 day period when the line is tested to find max stable speed.

So no, I dont think you can get 8mb without using ADSLMax.
The_10th
Grafter

See http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/faqs_and_guides/dslmax_guide.shtml

This covers 'MAX' very well (nice one PN Smiley ) - paying particular attention to filters and connections.

A friend has been on 2Mbps for the same reason of stable speed but TBH as long as the line quality is ok you should be in a win-win situation.
N/A

If the worst comes to the worst you can always be asked to go back to a fixed-rate product.
willhome
Grafter

really mate i do same thing, torrent alot and game alot.

im on a stable 8mb connection and being a gaming dont want torrents running from like 6-2am ish when i game. so peak hours for me fit me will. i torrent off peak as its unlimited and doesnt lag my gaming then.

try getting 8mb plusnet first whats worst that could happen? its free.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I'm on Max and it's as stable as 512kbps, 1Mbs and 2Mbps have been. Since day 1 it's sync'd at 8128kbps and hasn't changed. I'd suggest checking and posting your line stats, most routers and modems are listed here and how to get them:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm

From the stats we can probably make an estimate of what sort of speed you'd see with Max.
Ianwild
Grafter

really mate i do same thing, torrent alot and game alot.

im on a stable 8mb connection and being a gaming dont want torrents running from like 6-2am ish when i game. so peak hours for me fit me will. i torrent off peak as its unlimited and doesnt lag my gaming then.

try getting 8mb plusnet first whats worst that could happen? its free.

Interesting comment - One little discussed feature of Traffic Prioritisation on our network is that it should be impossible for traffic in a lower priority queue (IE P2P) to swamp traffic in a higher queue - Gaming in Gold should never be affected by other stuff you are doing on your connection, provided the traffic is being identified properly.

Are you saying this isn't the case for you?

Ian
N/A

Cheers for the prompt response and the wealth of information guys! Cheesy I'm seriously considering trying this ADSL max then. Just as a side note i often have torrents running at the same time as gaming, and don't suffer too many problems. Just use a client that lets you limit up and download speed, I have mine set to 30kb/s and 10kb/s usually whilst gaming.

I have tried that Kitz site dtom, and it gave me the results as follows...

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 12021689 14287234 0 4678 3128 229:36:11
LAN 100M/Full 36324751 33330812 0 649 415 814:43:06
WLAN 11M/54M 4617947 3310566 0 409 139 814:42:57

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2272 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 44 db 11.5 db
Noise Margin 6 db 27 db
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2272 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 44 db 11.5 db
Noise Margin 6 db 27 db

Very similar to my line stats and my speeds fluctuate between 3Mbps and 4Mbps depending on how friendly BT's Dynamic Line Management Tools are being!

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

Shocked That definitely sounds promising! So do I have speak to Plusnet over the phone to activate this ADSL Max or can it be done online? And just to clarify, can I go back to my "Broadband Premier Option 1" service if (for whatever reason) I'm not happy?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

You can put a max regrade request in at

http://max.plus.net

You don't have to change product to go on Max, you can stay on Premier. If you do have problems with Max then it is possible to switch back to a fixed rate product, but I would advise to go through the full fault finding process first because a) it may be something that's fixable and b) on occassions switching back doesn't fix the problem and needs to go through the fault process anyway.
N/A

Thanks for the help dtom, I really had no idea about this Max technology. After reading the guide and listening to the advice from you guys I've decided to take the plunge :shock: Wish me luck!
Wink
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I'd suggest to just have a double check that all your wiring and filters are set up correctly just to be on the safe side. The following page is a good reference point:

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13
N/A

Shocked That definitely sounds promising! So do I have speak to Plusnet over the phone to activate this ADSL Max or can it be done online? And just to clarify, can I go back to my "Broadband Premier Option 1" service if (for whatever reason) I'm not happy?

In the past PN have been very unhelpful moving people back to a fix rate services. Probably because this cost them money. BT does not charge ISP's going on to ADSLmax but going from ADSLmax to a fix rate they do charge. If you do a search of these forums you will see that there have been many user requesting to be put back to a fix rate and waiting for months for PN to do so. With your downstream SNR of 6db I would personally would remain on 2MB fix rate.