cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ports blocking again!!!! Will this ever be fixed.

N/A

OK - we all know plus don't have enough bandwidth for us all to get more than a few K each most of the day, we've either accepted that or gone through the pain of moving to pastures that may (or may not) be greener.

However even with the dreadful speeds on all traffic surely ports should not be blocked.

Once in a while Mand or James or one of the other nice Plus folks does 'something' and we can talk out again.

Then within a week or two at best we find we are unable to access FTP, P2P, Citrix and other traffic ports - they claim to be 'blocked'.

I have, unhappily, accepted that Plus are unable to provide bandwidth BUT this port blocking is either very poor technical performance OR deliberate traffic blocking which has not been advised anywhere in their legal docs as far as I can see.

The service is pretty much unuseable for us large chunks of time because even if we can get speed we still get the ports blocked by Plus.

I have obviously updated this on our long running ticket, I am writing it all up ready for upcoming submission to the ISP tribunal people (since Plus seem disinclined to look into this OR they know the problem and choose not to resolve it).

Here's an oppurtunity for someone from Plus to actually solve a problem that must be internal - I will even promise to post a thread about how they have worked to resolve the issue IF you do so.

Surely a rare positive thread is worth taking the time to look at this - it's been an issue that you have largely been ignoring since Early september '06.
9 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

The only ports that are blocked are listed on the following page:

http://portal.plus.net/support/customer_service/using/port_blocking.shtml

No other port will be blocked on our network. Have you tried rebooting your router? I have seen sometimes that routers can show a port as blocked when they aren't, sometimes the NAT rules and all the connections that are going through it can cause this, certainly if it works for a while and then starts showing as being blocked.
N/A

David,

Thanks for the reply.

They are not on the listed ports.

I'll try a reboot as I haven't dojne one for a little while but it hasn't helped previously.

I'll feedback here once I've tried.
N/A

Updated ticket as follows:

The reboot seems to have fixed FTP - I wonder if that is a result of the reboot applying Name removed to protect the innocent/guilty's TCP port fix a coiuple of posts above?

The others are still claiming they are being blocked and are not on your list of planned ports.

The last couple of times this occurred it seemed to be after we had been moved, in error, from a business profile to a home user profile - could you please check to ensure this has not happened again, if you are in any doubt I think Name removed to protect the innocent/guilty will know what settings we should be on.

We have been actively stifling our own traffic on your behalf as per my chat with Name removed to protect the innocent/guilty even though we keep being told there is no limit on oour accounts - we have cut our traffic by over 50% and we are failing to see any corresponding improvement in speed or reliability.
blowdart
Grafter

Nice to see that despite me pointing it out here and in a ticket that the port blocking page is wrong.

If you are indeed blocking TCP 1434 against slammer then that's useless; it runs over UDP 1434
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

I've raised this internally as problem 38993, I suspect the port blocking is correct but the portal shows wrong, but we'll check it and get it corrected.
blowdart
Grafter

I've raised this internally as problem 38993, I suspect the port blocking is correct but the portal shows wrong, but we'll check it and get it corrected.

I tried raising it before. Hopefully you have much better luck.
James
Grafter

One of our Network Engineers has taken ownership of the problem, so it would look like it's being looked at.
N/A

Mine?

David updated it last night as per the comments here but no-one else has updated the ticket or contacted me in any other way...
James
Grafter

Sorry, I was referring to internal problem 38993.