cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ports blocked on p2p when router has ports open?

N/A

Hi All,

I'm wondering what could be the reason for the following:

I have a port open for TCP/UDP on my router for Azureus but the program still says I'm behind a firewall. Windows firewall is turned off, so I know it's not that. I have other ports open for other programs too and Azureus (and uTorrent for that matter) report that they aren't open either.

The open ports and their relevant program have been working correctly for years. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? Can PN block ports that have high traffic through them?

Brett
8 REPLIES
gswindale
Grafter

Plus do have a Broadband Firewall option which can be found here.

Depending on the package you're on, this may be set and could be causing the problems you're seeing.
N/A

gs,

Nope, that's off also. I've just checked the PN blocked ports and mine aren't on that list either.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Probably stupid question but can't hurt to ask.
Do you have any other firewall software running? Have you set the destination IP address and port in the router's port forwarding settings? Have you rebooted router and PC?

Which other programs have you tried and have you tried any different ports?
N/A

Hi Dave,

I've got no software firewall running and I've got my router port-forwarded correctly. I've also rebooted the router and machine, with the same results.

I've tried opening any number of random ports to test but still get the same results.

Any ideas?
Brett

[Moderator's note by Jonathan (chillypenguin): Full quote of previous post removed.]
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

A lot of people don't like this site, but it has its uses

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

One of which is to probe sets of ports or specific ports. Try it out with the ports you've got forwarded and see whether it says open, closed or stealthed.
Gorvul
Grafter

If you check ports at that grc site, you need to have the p2p program running whilst checking them.

Re-check the nat rules and firewall rules on your router. Then check again.. If you have the patience, reset your router and start from scratch, forwarding the ports etc.

Good luck!
Community Veteran

Are you using port forwarding rules or DMZ mode?

If you are using rules, you may wish to try DMZ mode, if DMZ mode works, then there is a problem with the rules. Sad

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

Thanks for all your help.

Turned out the UPnp wasn't kicking correctly. As soon as I started Azureus, I went into the router (Netgear 834GT) and siomply hit 'Apply' on the UPnp screen. I've also shortened the advertisement time.

I presume it's a Vista problem as that's the only thing I've changed in my setup recently.

Thanks again,
Brett