cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portal is failing to allow new Problems to be registered

JakTheBiscuit
Grafter

I've been trying to register my SMTP timeout problem for nearly two days, so far unsuccessfully.

Plusnet have known email problems but do not mention smtp problems in their service status.

The portal has not responded to my attempts at raising a new call, and when I try to phone, all I get is a message telling me to use the portal.

I can't even register my problem let alone get it fixed!!!

https://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47503
13 REPLIES
JakTheBiscuit
Grafter

5 hours later, still cannot get my problem raised

I've tried hanging on the phone for hours, I've tried using the portal for hours.

Customer Support - anyone awake?
retep
Grafter

You may get lucky and get Plusnet support here but have another look at the help and support section. It took a me a while as its not obvious but with luck its there on your topic if you dig for it.

Usually phrased after a page of 'help'.

'Alternatively, ask your question to the Support Team'
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I just checked your account and I was able to raise a test ticket. This video help page shows how you can raise a ticket to us:

http://portal.plus.net/support/member_features/raisingaquestion.shtml

Regarding the actual problem, I'm not aware of any SMTP problems, if you want to post the error message we may be able to see what's wrong.
JakTheBiscuit
Grafter

I know HOW to use the portal to create a ticket, I've been a customer for years! I'm pleased YOU could create a ticket at the time you tried, but it has not worked for ME. I've replied to the test ticket you created.

The reason you are not aware of SMTP timeout problems is because I have been unable to create a ticket!!!!

The error message is in my reply to the ticket you created - as I said, it's a timeout.

Thanks for your reply.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
JakTheBiscuit
Grafter

Timeout messages

Just in case the ticket (20179683) does get seen, the message I usually get from Outlook 2003 is:

Task '<email account> - Sending' reported error (0x8004210B) :
'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server.'

or

Task '<email account> - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC0F): 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'
N/A

Sending mail through the SMTP server is fine here (whether it gets any further is another story Wink)

Have you double checked your settings? Making sure you're using relay.plus.net via your plusnet account? Not running another smtp server locally? Firewall not blocking it? Not trying to use a secure SMTP server connection?
JakTheBiscuit
Grafter

Yes my settings are OK, been using them for years.
James
Grafter

Re: Portal is failing to allow new Problems to be registered

I've been trying to register my SMTP timeout problem for nearly two days, so far unsuccessfully.

Plusnet have known email problems but do not mention smtp problems in their service status.

The portal has not responded to my attempts at raising a new call, and when I try to phone, all I get is a message telling me to use the portal.

I can't even register my problem let alone get it fixed!!!

https://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47503
Hi there,

Firstly regarding your problems in raising a new ticket, this shouldn't be an issue, although obviously you're having difficulties! Can you let me know which browser and version you are using? Would it be possible for you to try using a different browser and/or upgrade your current one to the latest version?

Regarding your inability to send email, I'd recommend trying the following:

- Deleting an recreating your email account on your email client
- Removing (temporarily) any antivirus and firewalling software
- Trying a different email client

We're certainly not aware of any problems affecting SMTP currently. Let us know how you get on!
JakTheBiscuit
Grafter

Re: Portal is failing to allow new Problems to be registered

Hi there,

Firstly regarding your problems in raising a new ticket, this shouldn't be an issue, although obviously you're having difficulties! Can you let me know which browser and version you are using? Would it be possible for you to try using a different browser and/or upgrade your current one to the latest version?

I've tried IE, Mozilla and Opera, all at the lastest versions, it's your portal that was the problem!

Regarding your inability to send email, I'd recommend trying the following:

- Deleting an recreating your email account on your email client
- Removing (temporarily) any antivirus and firewalling software
- Trying a different email client

We're certainly not aware of any problems affecting SMTP currently. Let us know how you get on!

Listen I've used my set-up for ages, the problem is at your end! Funny how this co-incided with your other email problems?!
gofaster
Rising Star

Funny how you are the only person having problems with SMTP...
N/A

Task '<email account> - Sending' reported error (0x8004210B) :
'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server.'

Not being an Outlook user, what does this mean? If you are sending a message, presumably the sending server is you?

Whether sending, or receiving, does it not have a facilty for actually logging the SMTP dialogue, with the time?
It might give us a clue as to what is going on.
N/A

Can the OP try sending mail through telnet? And report back any error messages.

instructions here
JakTheBiscuit
Grafter

Thanks for your posts guys.

I tried to post a response here last night, but the forum seemed to hang after pressing the submit button, similarly to the way in which I could not raise a ticket, as mentioned previously.

On a brighter note, my outgoing email finally managed to get accepted by +net's SMTP server this morning - hurrah!

What has changed? Nothing at my end.

Is this a temporary cure? I posted some trace route information as a comment to my ticket, but have had no repsonse.

The problems I've been having seem to me likely to have an underlying common cause. DNSs? Routing? I don't know, but it would be nice to know +net find what it is to prevent it happening again.