cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portal and IE7

N/A

Portal and IE7

Has anyone else noticed that if logon to the portal using IE7 then the pages don't load properly.

You get the menus on the side, but nothing in the main frame, even when clicking on a menu option

The pages appear fine both in IE6 and Firefox

regards
mike
4 REPLIES
David_W
Rising Star

Portal and IE7

I raised this issue ages ago but was told it was just me. There is a thread in ideas and suggestions that seems to show how to fix the problem for F9, something to do with the CSS.
N/A

Portal and IE7

It is a bug with Internet Explorer 7 and not PlusNet's site!

Please see http://www.aplus.co.yu/css/z-pos/index2.php

This page details what the z-index CSS attribute is, what it is for and why Internet Explorer 7 does not render it properly - to be blunt, you should be moaning at Microsoft to fix their beta code rather than at PlusNet for writing perfectly valid HTML.

If you don't feel like helping Microsoft to improve their software (in which case, why are you 'beta-testing' when the whole point of beta-testing is to report bugs and regressions such as this), I suggest that you go back to Internet Explorer 6 or download a browser such as Firefox or Opera that actually follows the W3C specs and will render perfectly valid HTML properly.
astarsolutions
Grafter

Portal and IE7

If you don't feel like helping Microsoft to improve their software (in which case, why are you 'beta-testing' when the whole point of beta-testing is to report bugs and regressions such as this)

I have submitted a bug report but weather they will fix this or not is anyone's guess?

I suggest that you go back to Internet Explorer 6 or download a browser such as Firefox or Opera that actually follows the W3C specs and will render perfectly valid HTML properly

You try telling the millions of people who will be using IE7 later this year/early next year as their standard browser to change

I am all for getting Microsoft to fix their browser, it doesn't obey the rules and presents numerous vulnerabilities to websites. Although as I have said several times before nobody seriously involved with web design can take the view that they are right and Microsoft and the millions of users using IE are wrong.

If when IE7 comes out of beta testing and the problem is still there F9 will have to fix/patch their site so they may as well do it now at least and a temporary hack.
From what I can see removing the offending z-index reference from the stylesheet doesn't affect anything other than allowing it to work with IE7, and to be honest I fail to see why a site with this layout would require the use of the z-index reference anyway.
N/A

Portal and IE7

You try telling the millions of people who will be using IE7 later this year/early next year as their standard browser to change

Surprisingly, I have no problems getting my own customers to change from IE6 to Firefox as my own customer portal is very AJAX-heavy and while it 'works' on IE6, the overall user experience is so much nicer on a browser which doesn't block on XmlHttpRequest calls.

I am all for getting Microsoft to fix their browser, it doesn't obey the rules and presents numerous vulnerabilities to websites. Although as I have said several times before nobody seriously involved with web design can take the view that they are right and Microsoft and the millions of users using IE are wrong.

You know that little thing before portal.f9.net.uk ? - yes, that little bit called 'http://' ?

The only reason you can see this page is because the people who wrote the webserver which serves it were writing their code to be in compliance with the HTTP protocol, just as Microsoft, Mozilla Foundation or Apple did with their code to ensure that their browsers can retrieve content from any webserver that also follows this spec.

Why can you go into any electrical store in the country, buy a television, take it home and plug it into your electricity supply and expect it work - because the television is built to accept 240v AC just as the electricity supply in your house was configured to supply 240v AC ?

If you bought a television that didn't accept 240v AC and it blew up when you connected it to your electricity supply, what would you consider to be at fault ?

Likewise, if you bought a house and moved all your appliances in only to discover that the electricity supply was only rated at 90v AC and nothing worked - who would be at fault then ?

The reason that things like the World Wide Web even exist is because a group of people wrote a set of standards that content authors and browser developers were meant to adhere to so that the browsers displayed content as the authors intended and authors could develop pages that would render correctly in every browser that followed the standards.

So yes, those that write HTML to the ratified standards are right, those that can't write a browser that can render static HTML are wrong and so are the muppets who use it.

If when IE7 comes out of beta testing and the problem is still there F9 will have to fix/patch their site so they may as well do it now at least and a temporary hack.

ROFL.

Let me get this straight.

1Smiley You use a beta version of Internet Explorer 7.
2Smiley You find a bug.
3Smiley You report it to Microsoft.
4Smiley Microsoft release the final version of Internet Explorer 7.
5Smiley You find the bug is still there.
6Smiley You are quite prepared to carry on using Internet Explorer 7 regardless ?

If someone like yourself is quite happy to use bug-ridden software that the manufacturer knows is buggy and is unwilling to fix those bugs, you should be used to hitting bugs such as these more often in the future and getting stonewalled by your preferred browser vendor.

From what I can see removing the offending z-index reference from the stylesheet doesn't affect anything other than allowing it to work with IE7, and to be honest I fail to see why a site with this layout would require the use of the z-index reference anyway.

I would have thought that PlusNet put that CSS element in there for a reason and I for one would prefer clarification from a PlusNet portal developer before a global CSS element is removed from the portal template.