cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Scanning activity

N/A

Port Scanning activity

My McAfee firewall is indicating a large number of inbound requests on a number of ports on my computer (mostly 445 and 139). The majority are from plusnet and force9 accounts.

Am I missing something here because it looks like I am being port scanned from what must be compromised machines. Anyone else experienced this?

Alistair.
7 REPLIES
N/A

Port Scanning activity

your right, its MSbaster//slammer bots scanning your PC, PN/FN refuse to filter this traffic internaly or do anything to stop the bots on a long tearm basis, however they do filter it from the outside so you shouldnt see any external ips hitting your router - not that that is much consialtion.
Community Veteran

Port Scanning activity

This is classed as internet 'noise' which everyone gets. Your filewall is doing it job of blocking them so there is no need to worry and just leave everything as it is.

As indicated above, PN aren't blocking this kind of traffic within their network so we all just have to live with it.
N/A

Port Scanning activity

hmm funny. My router logs show a port scan frm 62.x.x.x yesterday. ports 1~5000 from what i can tell we scanned. Nothing i shud really worry about but prob a few virus's making the rounds atm :/
N/A

Reassured

Thanks for the replies. Since quite a few of them are of the form

<usename>.plus.com

it crossed my mind to drop them a line but I guess it's their lookout.
___oDiN__
Grafter

Port Scanning activity

i seem to remember plusnet saying if its from their isp they will act if you provide logs
other isps need to be contacted by you

so you could send your logs with the plusnet hosts in and ask they contact the users
JonathanW
Grafter

Port Scanning activity

Yeah, if you can send the full logs to the abuse team they will look into it for you. Drop the logs in an email to abuse@plus.net and they'll take it from there.
N/A

Port Scanning activity

If you can, (as it's been a while since I had a mcafee firewall), block the ports and set the logging to off.

I've done this at Router level for myself, but my firewall also has these ports blocked. This way you won't have to worry about seeing this entries in your logs.