cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port 1337

N/A

Port 1337

Hi,

Why is this port being blocked/aggressively throttled by plusnet. I use this port sometimes, completely legally before anyone pipes up, to share work files from an ftp server to another +net user. Its not a biggy as If I change to port21 or other, then the speeds are fine. However I do like to use a port that isn't obvious to stop any unwanted connections.

Could someone from +net give an answer on this please?
19 REPLIES
N/A

Port 1337

Hi there,

Its not blocked by PN he only ports blocked are

* 135 - MSblast/Nachi RPC Exploit Attack
    * TCP/UDP Port 137 - Used by W32.Opaserv Worm, scans for available open shares **
    * TCP/UDP Port 139 - Open share connection attempts for file shares on Win 9x, ME & NT **
    * TCP Port 445 - Sasser/Agobot/GenericBot/Open share connection attempts for file shares on Win 2K, XP & Win 2K3
    * UDP Ports 1026-1029 - Used by messenger spam **
    * TCP Ports 1023-1028 - Used by messenger spam/Lsass Vulnerability/NetSpy **
    * TCP Port 1434 - SQL Slammer
    * TCP Port 12345 - Netbus Trojan **

** Broadband Plus/Homesurf accounts only
N/A

Port 1337

Ok, so it's severely throttled then? to the point where I cant upload or dload any traffic through it at all.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Port 1337

Throttling is done on traffic types at varying levels depending on how much you have transfered in your current billing cycle, so no particular port should be throttled like that.

I've just given ftp a try on that port between two of my PlusNet accounts and it transfered a 12Mb file at pretty much full speed.

Are you sure neither of your firewalls are causing this?

Phil
N/A

Port 1337

Nope, and to prove the point, as I mentioned in my 1st post, if I switch to port21, or any other port, its maxxed out.
N/A

Port 1337

From my understanding because of a recent issue. The port number is involved in Traffic Shaping. I use Ventrilo (VoIP Software) and it uses a non standard (as far as PN are concerned) port to communicate.

VoIP is supposed to be given top priority (Titanium level) but because the Elecoya Software does not have this port registed for VoIP use, it gives the traffic a low priority.

This may be the same for your non standard FTP port.
N/A

Port 1337

Yep that sounds plausible to me, thanks henshawm. I just wish +net could resolve these 'anomalies' promptly.
N/A

Port 1337

Are you sure your router(s) know how to handle FTP connections on non-standard ports?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Port 1337

What speeds do you see? As far as I know FTP would be picked up as FTP regardless of the port. Is it a standard FTP transfer or are you using something encyrpted/secure?
N/A

Port 1337

I'm curious.. hows come the following are only blocked on BBPlus?:

* TCP/UDP Port 137 - Used by W32.Opaserv Worm, scans for available open shares **
    * TCP/UDP Port 139 - Open share connection attempts for file shares on Win 9x, ME & NT **
    * UDP Ports 1026-1029 - Used by messenger spam **
    * TCP Ports 1023-1028 - Used by messenger spam/Lsass Vulnerability/NetSpy **
    * TCP Port 12345 - Netbus Trojan **
Plusnet Alumni (retired) _CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Port 1337

As far as I know FTP would be picked up as FTP regardless of the port

Dave is right, FTP will be detected on any port.
N/A

Port 1337

Sorry to hijack the post..

If thats the case for FTP why is not the same for VoIP?
pacem
Grafter

Port 1337

VoIP can't be regulated on port number as the RTP packets can use any port above 5000; there are *no* specific port numbers for VoIP.

Paul.<><
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Port 1337

I'm curious.. hows come the following are only blocked on BBPlus?:

About a year or so ago, we blocked these ports all (most) accounts because of the amount of messenger spam, virus scans, probes etc. However, feedback from a lot of customers on Business and Premier accounts was that they didn't want these blocks in place and that many people used these ports for one thing or another so they were removed from these accounts but left in place on Plus because they more likely going to be a benefit rather than a hindrance for Plus customers.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Port 1337

Sorry to hijack the post..

If thats the case for FTP why is not the same for VoIP?

VoIP traffic should get a high priority on the network. The Ellacoyas should be able to detect the signatures of VoIP traffic (the traffic for SIP like we use on our Broadband Phone service will be different to Skype, which will differ to other VoIP services) rather than the port that it's used on.

Are you noticing problems with VoIP? If it's being wrongly classified we should be able to correct this.