cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port 110

vic_newey
Grafter

Port 110

I am having mail forwarded from another ISP (lineone /tiskali but it doesn't arrive,

I got this error message :-

There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'pop3.lineone.net', Server: 'pop3.lineone.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR [SYS/TEMP] mailbox locked by other server', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

My password is correct,
Microsoft has a page re- this error, something to do with Norton 2000, I have 2003
couldnt find a fix for it tho, any ideas please ?
21 REPLIES
N/A

Port 110

i dunno if norton gives you a problem but personally i use AVG. as it doesnt use as much resources as norton and also its free. use to use norton but didnt like it AVG works great.

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2
vic_newey
Grafter

Port 110

Yes, its Norton, tried disabling it before but did not fix the problem,
I just uninstalled it & my mail arrived in abundance, I guess it must be a recent security update on Norton that caused the problem.

Just going to install AVG !
Alecto
Grafter

Port 110

I guess it must be a recent security update on Norton that caused the problem.

Just going to install AVG !

I'd guess you're right about the Norton update.

Must be a year ago now, Norton did exactly the same thing with a security update to NIS which I used to use. It made the computer go very slow indeed, kept bringing up fake intrusion alarms, and the thing became almost unusable.

Norton denied responsibility, but it was clear from a number of forums that they had messed up an update. And they quietly issued an amended update a couple of weeks later after me and loads of others had spent hours of our time trying to find what was wrong. They never admitted it though.

Thereafter, I waited a couple of weeks before installing any new update to give them time to get it right.

Then I ditched NIS for AVG and Sygate, and both products have worked like a dream, with none of the bloatware either that Norton is full of.
N/A

Replying Ivan

Hi,

RE: Norton I think it very much depends upon which product/s your talking about, if you keep it simple then my experience has been OK. I have used Norton 2002 basic anti virus program for several years and have stuck with this version becuase it is good and ontop of that I just subscribe to the update service which I pay for once a year.

This program has more than prooved its value and although the updates have increased in cost year on year. The subscription to the updates is still cheaper than upgrading to a newer product by Symantec such as Norton AV 2005 (which has alsorts of extras, & bells & whistles that I dont want, plus I havent read such good reviews of 2005 version). I'm NOT convinced that Norton AV 2005 would be any better than Norton 2002 (in fact I was so concerned about 2005 version I decided NOT to touch it with a barge pole) If it aint broke dont fix it and NOT all new software versions ARE better than previous ones IMO.

**AVG Free has also had extremely good press and is highly respected as a freeware AV product, I was very tempted myself.

Ivan
N/A

Port 110

I found using norton a real pain. The system was so slow and unuseable.

I switched to AVG and Sygate but have recently removed Sygate as well. as Windows Xp SP2 firewall took over tested it for about 6 Months and Sygate wasn't picking up a single problem . As before SP2 it picked up multible intrusion Alarms. :lol: so no fire wall except windows firewall at least it works lol.
N/A

Port 110

Hi vicnewey

I think the problem is you are trying to log into lineone's mail sever through a plusnet connection the bit in the error message says

'-ERR [SYS/TEMP] mailbox locked by other server',

ISP's wont let you connect to a mailbox via someone ele's connection

Hope this might help
Community Veteran

Port 110

POP3 access is usually allowed from other ISP connections. It is sending via SMTP that is not.
vic_newey
Grafter

Port 110

Its similar to webmail & I can access it from any ISP, the original problem started when e.mail forwarding stopped & only a trickle came thru, the rest ,mostly spam just went into cyberspace, I just sent myself a message to my lineone account & its forwarded straight into my +net box but another 15 spam mails didn't arrive

everything normally marked as spam (+nets filter ) doesn't arrive & I tried redirect to all 3 of my +net boxes
N/A

ahhh

Isn't this just the case that the box is locked due to active pop connection.

Do you have something else polling that account ?
vic_newey
Grafter

Re: ahhh

Isn't this just the case that the box is locked due to active pop connection.

Do you have something else polling that account ?

unless my mail account has been hijacked somewhere then I really don't know.

When I installed AVG earlier I typed in my lineone details in Outlook Xp & got 85 mails, now its locked again
N/A

Port 110

AVG uses an email proxy to scan incoming mail doesn't it? Is it possible that Outlook and AVG are accessing your email at the same time? i.e AVG is downloading email from your POP3 mailbox and Outlook is mis-configured and trying to do it at the same time?

Not likely but just a thought.
vic_newey
Grafter

Port 110

I only installed AVG today to try & fix the problem tho, I'guess I just will have to keep logging into lineone to get my mail until I resolve this.
N/A

Port 110

Does Norton do the same though, I mean, does it too have a proxy?

Anyway, have you tried using Outlook Express instead of Outlook XP (assuming you mean Outlook Office XP? Or another email client like Mozilla Thunderbird?
LiamM
Grafter

Port 110

I don't like the gloats that come with Norton. I've recently started using Avast! which is free, and very good.