cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor dial-up connection

N/A

Poor dial-up connection

I'm still using a dial-up Biz-Lite connection. In recent weeks the number of busy-line responses from Plus Net has climbed rapidly from the occasional to the perpetual.

Often takes five or six attempts to connect. Sometimes even that doesn't work, and I have to give up.

Problem is not just peak times, seems to persist widely through the day.

I know dial-up is old technology, but if I'm paying the fees I ought to get the service.

Alan Hedges
5 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

Poor dial-up connection

Hi,

Unfortunately, as you've mentioned, the FRIACO accounts are a contended service and this can lead to engaged tones at busy times. It would appear that recently there has been a higher demand than normal for these connections, and as such people are getting more engaged tones than before, though with a little perseverance you'll be able to establish a connection.
Community Veteran

Poor dial-up connection

Eh?? This person is paying £19.99 for a business account, all be it dial up, but still, he is paying for access and getting an engaged tone?!?

Now tell me that PN have their capacity set at correct levels. Engaged tones on free accounts is one thing, but ones costing £20 a month??

Is this another "put as many people onto the existing connections as possible" strategies being employed to save a (and make an extra) few quid?
JonathanW
Grafter

Poor dial-up connection

This has been the case with all of the FRIACO accounts for some time now, as it happens in waves. Some times there will be higiher demand and people will see more engaged tones than normal, and then this will naturally calm down and people will be back to being able to connect as normal.
N/A

Poor dial-up connection

I don't accept that. Contention conflicts are going to be more-or-less random with a cyclic element reflecting peak usage patterns. What I'm seeing is a sudden and prolonged change of state in availability, not just a contention issue.

This kind of problem has happened several times in the past, although access between these occasional troughs has generally been reasonably good.

When it's happened in the past it has usually emerged after a period of denial by PlusNet that there has been either a fault or a difficulty with the FRIACO service, or a lack of capacity to meet growing demand. Since dial-up is presumably not growing I can't see that it would be the latter in this case - unless you have reduced capacity faster than this market is shrinking.

Whatever may be the case, there clearly seems to be something wrong, which needs fixing.

Alan Hedges
N/A

Poor dial-up connection

unless you have reduced capacity faster than this market is shrinking.

a strong possibility i fear