Grafter

Poor connection

Yesterday my connection with Plusnet Broadband Plus was totally useless, the
modem not staying in sync and when it did not being able to connect. So
whose fault is that ?? B.T and my house wiring , or Plusnet whose service
status was indicated as O.K . I did not contact help as they would say it
was my line , so waited until this morning and it is fine, I have a
sneaking feeling the fault may lay with Plusnet. Is this the norm with
broadband plus , Iam not the only one. Should I get out as I am still within my 45 days How long should I expect the connection to stay up ?? Regards E
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Poor connection

You should expect your connection to stay up 24*7 except for scheduled maintainance windows or power cuts etc.

There are many reasons why lines could drop out of sync, and many are not so obvious (mine for example was the power supply to my router!).

To rule out PlusNet as the cause, try following the instructions for connecting to the BT speed test. leave it conected to that and see if the drop outs still occur. If they do then the fault lies in the line itself, and that is from your PC to the exchange - so you have to rule out everything inside your home first.

It is a pain, and its easy to blame other factors as we all know it could never be our equipment or wiring as nothing has changed right? I thought exactly the same thing until I went through the checks. It saved me some serious egg on the face.

Hope you find the cause.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Poor connection

Hi,

Did the problem only happen yesterday? If so it could well be related to the thunderstorms. We had a lot of calls last night from people with similar problems which in the main were all weather related.
If it's OK today see what happens next time there's a storm.
stathe
Grafter

poor connection

The following instructions for the bt speed test ? can you tell me how ,as it drops fairly frequently to-day Regards E
Community Veteran

Poor connection

follow the instructions in this post:

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9565

The part "Login Problems - test logins" is the section that describes how to connect to BT instead of PN.

You will not be able to browse the web, but you will be able to connect and see if your link stays up. If it does then it would seem that the problem lies with PN, if it doesnt, then its down to the line (either your side or BT's).

Hope that helps. Cheesy
Stef
Grafter

Poor connection

Hi,

Did the problem only happen yesterday? If so it could well be related to the thunderstorms. We had a lot of calls last night from people with similar problems which in the main were all weather related.
If it's OK today see what happens next time there's a storm.

Yup,

Sounds like he got off lightly. I have known Lightning/PowerSurges to toast routers & PCs and believe me where kit is concerend lightning *does* strike twice in the same place. Invest in a surge protector...
stathe
Grafter

Poor connection

The problem has been virtualy ever since I joined except for a good week after a B.T visit.Stays connected to the BT speed tester O.K and will also stay connected for a BBC radio programme, when the data light on the modem stays on all three lights that is ,so am I being disconected when no data is being downloaded?? ;by Plusnet . I disconected my line during the storms as I have suffered modem damage in the past despite a surge protector on the telephone line.All working O.K at the moment
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Poor connection

Sounds like he got off lightly. I have known Lightning/PowerSurges to toast routers & PCs and believe me where kit is concerend lightning *does* strike twice in the same place. Invest in a surge protector...

Indeed, it's not uncommon for us to receive calls from customers who have had fried modems after storms. TV shops probably get the same.
N/A

Poor connection

Read 'Connection - Drops' thread

A lot of people in the same situation, mine has been doing similar for the last week - checked every thing and also left every thing and it makes it own mind if it wants to connect or not :?

Hayden.
stathe
Grafter

Poor connection

I can only asume that plusnet are disconnecting me, would they consider the line inactive if I am listening to live radio ?The BBC Radio player enables me to see if it stays connected .How can I se a record of my cut offs, It doesnt seem to reconect itself ( should it) ? I wonder if I should go elsewhere before my 45days are up Regards E
stathe
Grafter

New Customer POOR CONNECTION

Following a poor weekend for connections Monday and a Tuesday so far have been fine so much so that I postponed the ticket I raised for further action . I am of the opinion that this is something to do with Plusnet as neither I nor B.T have made any alterations .
A few good days do not make me that confident, but I live in hope