Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Quality BT Line

davepye
Grafter

Poor Quality BT Line

Hi All,
I was wondering has anyone ever had BT do anything positive about a poor quality line. I seem to have a lesser quality line from the telegraph pole to my house than all of my neighbours. Is there any chance that could be why I still recieve 512kbps speed? I have very low SNR ratio 13dB ish, and line attenuation is up there at 54dB.
So has anyone ever recieved quality (cheap) help from bt for such a problem and if anyone has had this done what was the outcome in terms of speed.
Also will having such low SNR and high attenuation affect the way adsl works when my max upgrade happens whenever that might be.
Thanks.
Dave
28 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Poor Quality BT Line

Also will having such low SNR and high attenuation affect the way adsl works when my max upgrade happens whenever that might be.
Thanks.
Dave

With Max DSL the SNR is the all important figure and looking at your current figures with 54 DB loss I wouldn't expect wonders from MaxDSL when you get it.

My only experience with trying to get BT to improve a line got nowhere and despite them trying different pairs to the exchange they couldn't better it. Sad
N/A

Poor Quality BT Line

I was suffering slow speeds, but not slow enough to get BT to do anything with my line
I then complained about crackling etc on my voice line when we had wet weather, BT came out and replaced the line from the pole to my master socket, which sorted my slow speeds, and cost me nothing, this was a couple of years or so ago

Speed test just now:

16-04-2006 19:34:01 1927.5 with the PlusNet tester

PlusNet tester doesnt always give a true reflection of speeds but seems OK tonight

I'm happy with PlusNets service and connection

Less happy with the way customers have been treated of late and the way it seems now it's profit for profits sake, PlusNet now seem to want low users, I'll see how it goes as I'm due to be on the new usage limits from tomorrow but the chances are I'll be looking to another provider who doesnt penalise every customer one way or another.........
davepye
Grafter

Poor Quality BT Line

Nice one paul, that might be one to try.

This is really what I hate though, BT will help you out no matter what when it comes to your voice line but they have NO responsibility when it comes to the quality of your internet connection!

Did BT test the quality of your line when they did that work or did they actually take your word for it?
tangey
Grafter

Poor Quality BT Line

I've had a real odd ball problem with my line from the start. Wondering if anyone can tell me the most constructive way to proceed.

Basically, my line appears to be fine for days at a time, but then I'll go to pick up the phone, and I'll hear all sorts of crackles and whistles on the phone line, and when this happens, picking up the phone generally results in the ADSL line losing sync.

"flashing" the receiver a few times often clears the problem, or occasionally I have to unplug and plug the phone back into the wall.

What I've tried.

New router
New filter
New phone
Unscrewing the wall socket and pluging straight into the socket inside.

the socket is the sole socket that is connected to the line, I'm told that the line comes into the house in the hall and then was routed by BT at the time of installation, but there is no phone socket per se in the hall.

So, it would appear to be a line fault. hoewever the chances of it being detected whilst a BT guy is here are next to none.

I'm worried that with MAXADSL on the way, that I'll either get fixed at a low rate if the problem is there at time of testing, or get fixed at a higher rate, only for me to have an unstable connection.

Line stats

att down=26.5 up=48.5
SN down=22 up=26.5
Loss of signal Local=79 remote =0
Errors seconds Local =11.8 remote =0
up to 1 day 4 hrs

Any thoughts anyone.

Regards

Ian
N/A

Poor Quality BT Line

Did BT test the quality of your line when they did that work or did they actually take your word for it?

They took my word for it an engineer came out and said the line from the pole was very poor and he would change it
It took a further 3 days to get it changed due to H&S reasons and getting a "cherry picker" to do it, but once done everything worked great

The outer insulation on my old line was brittle and split in places letting water in, acording to the engineer, now I wonder how it got split must have been old age Wink
davepye
Grafter

Poor Quality BT Line

Nice one, I'm considering my options at the moment. I really don't want to be stuck with a slow speed when the move to MaxADSL goes through, so I may try some complete BS with BT tomorrow, welllll it's not like they never give us any!
pacem
Grafter

Poor Quality BT Line

Me Too!
Ooops, is that bad netiquette?

Sorry I have no thought on your problem but I'm wondering how many other people also have this problem; this thread hasn't been alive for long and it's already getting popular.

I have a master socket filter so the whole house is filtered; the master socket also has a dedicated ADSL modem socket which my router plugs into. From time to time I get line drops as you do. When I pick in the receiver I can hear faint wistles. After putting the receiver back down again the modem syncs up fine.

I hope someone out there can explain this.

Paul.<><
N/A

Poor Quality BT Line

Nice one, I'm considering my options at the moment. I really don't want to be stuck with a slow speed when the move to MaxADSL goes through, so I may try some complete BS with BT tomorrow, welllll it's not like they never give us any!

Good luck, be nice to the engineer Wink
N/A

Poor Quality BT Line

Thats why your paying BT line rental, to look after your interests, more power to you.
davepye
Grafter

Poor Quality BT Line

Wow, this is like being on the end of a good lecture from Trisha!!

What is the physical appearance of the lines from the poles to peoples houses? My neighbour has had his line installed more recently than the one to my house and his is black and thick, mine is clearly two cables together in a pair, and seems browny grey in colour, WAY thinner than his. What is everyone elses like?

Why on earth does my SNR change ALL the time?!?! One minute it's up at 30dB and right now it's at 13dB?
N/A

Poor Quality BT Line

"" My neighbour has had his line installed more recently than the one to my house and his is black and thick, mine is clearly two cables together in a pair, and seems browny grey in colour, WAY thinner than his.""

You have the old cable type, the same that I had my was changed to the "new black 'n thick cable.
The engineer said the old cable hadn't been used by BT for years

Regarding your changing SNR it is probably down to the old cable and the insulation being brittle and cracking allowing water into the wires

Do you suffer more problems on wet days?

Get BT out to a voice fault (noisy crackling line) I'm pretty sure the engineer will change your pole to house cable and you'll get a stable ADSL connection....
Community Veteran

Poor Quality BT Line

You say your neighbours have faster connections than yourself. Could you ask them to see what their line stats are like?
If they are considerably better than your own, then this info could possibly be used to show to BT that there is a definite identifiable problem point ...ie from the pole to you!

*EDIT* This is assuming that you are confident that you have ruled out your own internal wiring/hardware etc first. Wink
N/A

Poor Quality BT Line

I can remember having the same issue (still am really) last year when I was using Wanadoo. I was informed by a BT engineer that the only way to get it sorted was to ask my current ISP to help, then they will request BT to check the line from the telegraph pole to your house and if it is indeed old and tatty they will replace it.

I dont know if this is true or not, but I know when I asked Wanadoo to help they just said I can only do this via calling BT and BT said I have to do this via my ISP lol.

This was the main reason I left Wanadoo, after being with them since probably 1998-2005 (when they started Freeserve) I just thought whats the point lol and got a MAC and came here. Every problem I seemed to have they would just refer me back to BT, when it was Freeserve it was not that bad lol

I never asked PN because I guess I have come to the conclusion that I will have to lie, like above to get something sorted out. Which is a good way to do it, but knowing my luck I will probably get a snooty BT engineer who will refuse to understand why anything is crackling lol

Can anyone clued up actually tell me if PN COULD request a line check and possible replacement? I think probably most of us here would actually pay a fair cost to even have it changed. I know I would part with £30 to have a dodgy engineer monkey climb up the pole and do it, not sure why BT are not cashing in.

If anyone knows any dodgy engineers please send me their contact details lol
davepye
Grafter

Poor Quality BT Line

I've already asked Plusnet if they could do that. They said they can't and BT probably wouldn't do anything about it anyway.
I've reported a fault on my line on BT's website as it's easter, so I'll wait and hear back from them.
Like you say though, if an engineer did come and look at it he would see it's inferior quality straight away.
I've not been able to test my neighbours line, but I will try and have a word with him next time I see him and see if I can. He's the only one who has or has had broadband who's connected to the same pole as me.

Anyways I'll keep you posted! Thanks for your comments.