cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Performance - Plusnet or BT - Who Knows?

clatz
Grafter

I don't know what has been happening in th evenings recently but the speed and reliability of the service is appalling. Web pages are sometimes not displaying, DNS errors, really slow FTP downloads, terrible game pings with lots of lag, etc... but when I go the the PlusNet Speed Checker I am getting quite decent speeds.... strange!?

As this all seemed to have kicked off around the beginning of March and I was wondering if it isn't PlusNet at all, but BT getting their circuits ready for the big switch over to 8mb. I notice BT have a message on my Exchange Checker page suggesting they are planning to have it ready for the end of the month.

If it is that then that is good because afterward things may get back to normal if it isn't then is this what we must expect as 'normal' in future?
13 REPLIES
N/A

Most exchanges are marked for being upgraded at the end of the month, it's just a placeholder date unfortunately, so may well slip.
What is more important, is if the VP status for your exchange is orange or red. If it is then the slowdown at peak periods could well be at the exchange. I've had this problem myself in the past, it's BT not keeping up with the demand.
But it could also be down to problems with PlusNet's network at peak times. I hate to say it, but some more checking of things and more information would help Wink There's a load of info in this nice post by Stewart Norris.
clatz
Grafter

I wasn't really looking for diagnostics, I just needed to get it off my chest.

There have been several periods since I've been on Plusnet when the performance has dropped below the level that would normally be expected, but it generally corrects itself eventually. What I was really saying was maybe it isn't all PlusNet's fault, maybe BT are also causing slow-downs due to re-engineering work.

(Just out of interest though, The Cowes Exchange which I am on is showing no problems with VP capacity)
N/A

I used to work for Research Machines for 3 years. During that period I found that 94% of all internet not working properly queries were caused by BT, 5% were customer setup errors (engineers onsite mostly set stuff up, so rarely could it be customer error) and 1% for RM's infrastructure.

However, my experience as a customer of PlusNet suggests that the vast majority is PlusNet's packet shaping activities, a long with 2 dodgey gateway servers.
N/A

Ahh, sorry. Unload away then Smiley
Yes, there are undoubtedly problems caused by parties other than PlusNet and BT have a lot to answer for and regularly cause problems (they cause plenty of headaches for PlusNet).
But there are also plenty of things that PlusNet have been getting wrong both in terms of providing the actual connection and in terms of customer relations IMHO. Also, if there are problems with BT, well, frankly that's something that PlusNet should take up with them.
N/A

Most exchanges are marked for being upgraded at the end of the month, it's just a placeholder date unfortunately, so may well slip.
What is more important, is if the VP status for your exchange is orange or red. If it is then the slowdown at peak periods could well be at the exchange. I've had this problem myself in the past, it's BT not keeping up with the demand.
But it could also be down to problems with PlusNet's network at peak times. I hate to say it, but some more checking of things and more information would help Wink There's a load of info in this nice post by Stewart Norris.

What sort of speeds you getting dude cos mine has been terrible too, 6k/sec if i`m lucky.

Regards.
N/A

im geting around the 6k mark from a 100mbit source.

id say useless but to be useless you first have to be useful
N/A

Sorry to sound dim but is this HTTP/FTP/Usenet ?Huh
N/A

im getting 6k from an ftp
N/A

Well it`s notjust me then, why are they throttling so bad? Have you found any explanation ?Huh
N/A

Just performed a test on a decent FTP server, getting an average of approx 20KB/s. Running mtr the path looks fine apart form the usual blip of packetloss and latency on lo0-plusnet.pte-ag1.plus.net that I get whenever I first run a trace these days (no doubt before the Ellacoya's have decided that this is a trace so should be prioritised).
N/A

So tell me guys will you be requesting your MAC keys ?
N/A

The jury is still out for me. I've been researching some other ISP's, but like many people, I'm not into hopping between ISP's too rapidly. I also understand what PlusNet are trying to do, have had a couple of years of great service and still have some faith remaining that they will get things sorted. I just don't wax lyrical about PlusNet to people any more and am more open to migrating than I have ever been.
N/A

Good point, but surely were entitled to a little bandwidth, not that i`m to argue the toss with you about why things are slow, but hey i`m cool. I wish.

Cheers mate.