cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor P2P Speeds....

N/A

Poor P2P Speeds....

I have recently downgraded from Broadband Premier to Broadband Plus, Im on a 1.1MB connection and ever since the switch my P2P speeds on LimeWire PRO have been 1kb/s. I have searched around the forum and came across a term which was new to me "P2P Throttling" would this apply to me? and what does it essentially mean?, I can download on servers across the internet at a normal speed, but when it comes to P2P the speeds are awfully low, does anybody know of what I can do? Thanks In Advance... Cheesy
22 REPLIES
ChrisR
Grafter

Poor P2P Speeds....

They say Broadband Plus isn't suitable for P2P. What they really mean is that they don't want you to use it at all. Occasionally you will get over 1KB/s, usually 2KB/s.
JonathanW
Grafter

Poor P2P Speeds....

Hi,

This is due to the fact that the Plus package isn't suitable for P2P traffic, which is why its running much slower on your new account than it was before you downgraded.
N/A

Poor P2P Speeds....

I am getting equally poor P2P speeds with emule on premier as are loads of other plusnet customers if you go by the forums on adslguide.org.uk

Im going to jump ship soon if the problem isnt resolved, Ive already found other competitive ISP's that claim not to restrict certain serices on their networks
N/A

Emule / P2P speeds on premier are just as poor

The sorry state of my support call so far, do support staff actually listen to what is being said?

2005-11-19
13:30:40
You
Hi

Are Plusnet planning on reversing their recent policy to extensively use bandwidth control on P2P services, particularly emule which is not barely running at all. I can no longer continue to recommend Plusnet to other people looking for a boradband ISP ( and I have recommended many ) and if the policy does not change then I will be migrating to an ISP that provides the QoS that I expect of a supplier and on all services.

2005-11-19
14:29:20
Customer Support Centre Actioned :,
We only shape P2P traffic to a very limited degree, so that a 1 hour download might take an extra 5 minutes or so.

Are you experiencing the same speed issues at all times of the day?

2005-11-19
15:06:42
You
Assigned : Yes at all times of the day, emule has been appauling, max 2 kB/s at any time, its just started in the last 2-3 weeks

I see loads of other plsunet users are experiencing the same from your forums.
2005-11-19
15:14:18

Customer Support Centre Actioned : ,
If you can do 3 BT speed tests, 1 after midnight

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27

and post the results back here we can investigate speed issues.

2005-11-19
15:25:34
You
Assigned : That will prove nothing, as I already said the only speed issue is on P2P especially emule, my normal connection speed is fine. What I asked was that if PLusnet was going to change its policu on P2P packet shaping, if not then I will go elsewhere. Please dont fob me off with such speed tests I am en experienced IT manager who also implements packet shaping on my networks.
2005-11-19
15:40:13
Customer Support Centre Actioned :
We have no plans to cease traffic shaping on our network, it was introduced to enable us to actively manage traffic QoS and so is an integral part of our platform. If you would like us to investigate your speed issue, please would you run the speed tests as requested so we have some base level data to work from.

2005-11-19
15:47:18
You
Assigned : How is testing the overall speed of my connection going to help, I have already said this tests fine, the only problems are on P2P traffic which the BT checker will not pick up
2005-11-19
17:29:28
You
Assigned : If you cannot give me assurances that the traffic shaping on P2P which is causing emule to run at under 5 kB/s most of the time is going to be resolved so that it is usable again then please give me my MAC number as I will go elsewhere.
2005-11-19
20:37:52
We can generate the MAC key, but we would obviously prefer to resolve your issue. The reason for requesting the speed tests is it shows us if there are any speed issues on the account in general, so we can eliminate this as a possible cause.

2005-11-20
07:57:08
You
Assigned : There are no speed issues on the account in general it is only using emule / P2P
2005-11-20
08:43:02

Emule is very slow on my own home connection and this is not on PlusNet and as such not subject to our shaping rules. Is Emule the only program that you experience these issues?

2005-11-20
08:55:47
You
Assigned : Its funny I have tried emule on 4 other ISP's ADSL connection with exactly the same files downloading and the only problem with speed issues is on the Plusnet connection. If you also have a log at your own forums and the forums on ADSLguide you will see that loads of other Plusnet customers are experiencing the same thing. Is this going to get resolved or do I have to move to an ISP that provides quality of service for such services
2005-11-20
09:05:06
2005-11-20
09:46:26
You
Assigned : Its the same on any emule files, try a linux distibution for example
2005-11-20
10:04:23
In that case we need to dial up here as you and try this. Can you let us know a 24 hour window when we will be able to connect as you. Please note that you need to be disconnected for the full 24 hours or until we let you know that this has been done.

2005-11-21
19:23:54
You
Assigned : I cant just drop my connection for 24 hours IM an IT manager and I need it continusouly to be able to connect through to my workplace and monitor our networks. The issues seems to be happaning to loads of other plusnet customers it is not unique to me, your network team will know whey this is happenming to so many people, either it is policy or its a config error, if its policy let me know and I will migrate to one of the many other ISPs that dont restrict services on their networks.
N/A

Re: Poor P2P Speeds....

No expert, but I venture not all P2P protocols are equal. I downloaded 25GB on BB+ via P2P the last few months completely unhindered. However, if you use popular (and unsafe) "swarm" networks via the likes of limewire or Ares you are stuck with the throttle (and are more likely to be stuck with a lawsuit, what's the attraction...). Torrents also hardly work on Plus (which is the only reason I upgraded to Premier, and I may yet go back to Plus).
ChrisR
Grafter

Poor P2P Speeds....

What program did you use to download 25GB completely unhindered then?
Azagoth
Grafter

Poor P2P Speeds....

I'd like to know that too! My P2P is so bad that it will take 18 days to download a 10MB mp3 file. It's no use people saying "oh it must be your software is configured wrong" because it was getting between 15k and 30k when I first signed up, now I'm lucky to get 1k!

If, as some people claim, they are getting decent speeds then it's only fair that the same speed should be allowed for all customers on the same package. After all, we are paying the same!
N/A

Poor P2P Speeds....

Hi,

This is due to the fact that the Plus package isn't suitable for P2P traffic, which is why its running much slower on your new account than it was before you downgraded.

Im really annoyed about that as when I downgraded this information was not made clear to me, I only saw a change in the contention rate from 30:1 to 50:1, these ridicolously slow speeds on P2P where hid, and im considering switching to another ISP...surely a 1MB connection can give me speeds of more than 1kbs, shockingly bad service
N/A

Poor P2P Speeds....

Dont worry mate...The premier option is exactly the same......
N/A

Poor P2P Speeds....

I was on Premier before had cracking speeds.... Sad
N/A

Poor P2P Speeds....

Premier speeds were good until a couple of weeks ago now they are appauling, Im lucky to get 1-2 KBs now
N/A

Poor P2P Speeds....

Exactly the same here - Premier appears to be knobbled Evil
ChrisR
Grafter

Poor P2P Speeds....

I think something seriously needs to be done about it all.

I wish they'd introduce a £1 per GB to use P2P or something.

Racks me off.
N/A

Poor P2P Speeds....

The bit I don't understand is this : If you introduce a FUP and therefore boot people for using too much bandwidth regularly, what do you care about which applications they use to rack up that bandwidth ?!?!?! Why throttle P2P, when I could use the bandwidth easily with a bunch of game demos from Fileshack instead ?! How does this help improve the service for users ?