cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Direct Connect downloads on Plus account

N/A

Right now I'm getting a combined upload/download of about 3k on a hub with plenty of high speed users. The connections start off fast then each head to about 0.5kbs :/ My client is configured correctly.. problems?
42 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

The Broadband Plus account is not intended to be used for heavy downloading so p2p applications such as DCC are given a lower priority than web browsing and email.

If you use these types of applications frequently you would be much better off with a Premier account.
___oDiN__
Grafter

If you use these types of applications frequently you would be much better off with a Premier account.

dont bank on it Sad
N/A

This is pretty irritating... I don't mind things being throttled a bit.. but to have it down to a total of 3 kb/s is stupid.
suec45
Grafter

Yeah I do disagree with the wording on the BB+ advertising.

Its almost a con. It should say something to the effect off :

'If you use P2P at all then this is NOT the package for you' .

The way its worded at the moment makes it sound like you may get OK speeds off peak.
Alecto
Grafter

True.
And this has been pointed out to the Pn people, but they don't seem to want to do anything about it.

But then they would argue that if people can sell "anti-ageing" creams, then all is fair in advertising.

But yes, it's plain wrong.
N/A

I think I may consider calling my bank and telling them to cancel this.. this is not the service I expected and I was not properly informed of the service I would be getting. There is nowhere which actually makes it clear from the companies perspective.
LiamM
Grafter

That would be a big mistake. You've signed up to the contract, you've agreed to the terms and conditions so Plusnet would just pass it on to a debt recovery company and then eventually to court.

It is clearly stated on the comparison that Broadband Plus is not for frequent or heavy downloading.
N/A

Yes it would be quite a problem, however plusnet have not given specific in their contract. My downloading is by no means heavy, I have not even had the chance to start some heavy downloading! Maybe premier is the way to go but I am loathed to hand over more money for a service which people are saying is not all that good.
rammie1976
Grafter

That would be a big mistake. You've signed up to the contract, you've agreed to the terms and conditions so Plusnet would just pass it on to a debt recovery company and then eventually to court.

It is clearly stated on the comparison that Broadband Plus is not for frequent or heavy downloading.

Neat Customer Service they're offering - no talk of dicussing your problems, or needs, just straight in with threats of a debt collection agency....nice.
N/A

Liam does not work for Plus net and as such does not provide customer services. He is a customer like the rest of us, who just happens to be a moderator.

What he said should be taken as friendly advice and nothing else.
rammie1976
Grafter

He is seen as representing +net (even in an "unofficial" capacity).

"Friendly advice" - :roll: , what next? (I assumed he passed on the official +net policies?)

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni):Full quote of preceeding post removed as it is unnecessary]
N/A

Yes, regardless of if he is an employee or not, plusnet has chosen to use him to represent them and as such, what he says is meant to represent the position and policy of the company.
N/A

Liam is represently PlusNet in zero capacity. The only thing he represents is the forums, and the rule within, which are not defined as part of the T&C's of service.

Quite how this mis-guided mentality of the moderators being representatives of PlusNet came about, I don't know.

If it were true, then PlusNet would have a lot more control over the forums than they do now. PlusNet right now, defer nearly all decisions about the forums to the moderators.

With regards to the Broadband Plus account, have you actualy read the full product description. It clearly states:

With Broadband Plus you can use any type of Internet services you want. In order to ensure we deliver a high level of service, during busy periods we will give priority to services such as web browsing and email and a lower priority to high usage services such as downloading and file sharing.

Broadband Plus is based on a PlusNet network contention ratio of up to 50:1.

If you regularly file-share and download, take a look at Broadband Premier. With a PlusNet network providing up to 30:1 contention , Broadband Premier offers a premium service and is suitable for Internet enthusiasts and families

One of the reasons why P2P applications are not exclisitly stated in the product description, is because PlusNet reserve the right to change what is and isn't included in broadband Plus.

This isn't to say they will include things like web-browsing, but it allows for things like new download technolgies in the future that are considered high usage service (as defined in the product description).

Saying P2P outright would also be wrong, as P2P is not definative of high-usage applications. There are low usage applications that are capable of P2P, which may ot may not be excluded now or in the future.
N/A

Yes, regardless of if he is an employee or not, plusnet has chosen to use him to represent them and as such, what he says is meant to represent the position and policy of the company.

PlusNet have not chosen Liam as a representative.

For over 2 years, customers have been moderating the forums. Liam was elected by the rest of the forum community to become a moderator, with no influance from PlusNet staff.

That isn't to say the staff didn't have an opinion, but it certainly wasn't one that tipped any balance.