cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet - why wont you help us?

N/A

Yep, I joined just 5 months ago thinking i was getting an uncapped service.

Since then, caps and more caps.

Now I cant FTP, which inhently means I cannot work as I am a web developer and work from home. They have reduced my service so much I cannot even work slowly.

I went for the monthly contract because I wasnt sure how long I would be here, and the "included activation" and "included modem" seemed to seal the deal.

Now I want to leave as soon as I can, but they want me to pay for "deferred activation fee" and "deferred hardware fee". £60 + £25.

I feel so ripped off and dismayed at how horrible they are being to their users, almost as though they have given up on customer satisfaction and just want hard and fast money.

They use misleading phrases to entice you, then once you take the bait they real you in with hidden fees and underhand terms and conditions changes.

I've spent all weekend stressed because I cannot work, and no doubt I wont be able to for the forseeable future.

I phoned support and after a very frustrating call to an unwilling to help customer support bod, I ended up putting the phone down on him.

What am I supposed to do now plusnet?

I am asking for you help.
23 REPLIES
N/A

Yup - this is VERY typical of what is happening to Plusnet users.

The service is now a JOKE !!!
N/A

Ben_Brown
Grafter

How much have you used this month? For the vast majority of customers FTP should run at pretty much full speed. If it's not, then potentially there could be a fault there.
LiamM
Grafter

If you are a web developer working from home, you are not allowed a residential account. You must have a business account. And all business account traffic is gold or better.

Also the deferred charges are made very clear on sign up.... there is a big [ FIND OUT MORE ] link next to everywhere it mentions free activation and modem.
N/A

there is a big [ FIND OUT MORE ] link next to everywhere it mentions free activation and modem.

Shame theres not one next to the "No need to keep track of how much you download isnt it!?
N/A

I've spent all weekend stressed because I cannot work, and no doubt I wont be able to for the forseeable future

I imagine the knowledge that you've spent the last 5 months using (and paying for) a residential account for your professional work will be of some comfort.

It's people like you who misuse contended residential products that are causing problems for the rest of us.

If you had signed up for the correct business package initially you wouldn't be having these problems now. :roll:
N/A

Sadly, PlusNet is as guilty as any other modern company in the way it markets products/services through adverts and wording that are easily misinterpreted by anyone who wants to believe they are getting a good deal.

If it sounds to good to be true....... you probably haven't found the catch. Wink
N/A

Re: Plusnet - why wont you help us?

Now I want to leave as soon as I can, but they want me to pay for "deferred activation fee" and "deferred hardware fee". £60 + £25.

Return your hardware. In regard to "defferred activation fee" raise this issue in a ticket - you as a customer have not changed your mind - you still want and are willing to pay for a service you signed up for - however plus.net as service provider has changed their business practice and in current shape failed to deliver unlimited and uncapped service you believed you were getting. In contractual sense it's not any different than buying a fridge on finance and within first weeks of use finding out it doesn't freeze or even cool down and in fact despite it's looks a heater. You'd reject it and send it back as unsuitable for purpose and the same way Under the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 you are fully entitled to to repudiate the contract with plus.net without incurring any costs. You bought a service. Service turned out to be unsatisfactory. Amen.
N/A

You bought a service. Service turned out to be unsatisfactory. Amen.

Unfortunately the OP has admitted that he/she is using the connection for (more than occaisional) work purposes - I would imagine that even if Plusnet couldn't make the small print re. SUP stick, they will be able to point to a clear breach of T&Cs in that regard.
N/A

No, I sometimes work from home. If plusnet actually wanted to look into this they could quite clearly see from my usage that I only work the occasional day at home and the rest of my bandwidth usage is recreational.

The T&C's state that:

'For guidance, we consider commercial use to be at a level above that which is running a part time Business or supporting any kind of hobby. Business accounts must be used if the account is to be used from any official Business Premises while Teleworkers are considered to be commercial use of a residential connection.'

I dont want to have an argument about wether I should be on a business product or not, this isnt what this thread is about. But to me it is clear that I am not required to use one nor essential. My full-time job is a delivery van driver.
N/A

Work is not prohibited on normal accounts. We all need to work from home sometimes, it doesn't mean we have to get business accounts.

It all depends on how the product was sold - if it was sold as unrestricted and is now throttled then customers should have right to walk away without penalty as it was neither their fault nor changed were negotiated with them. It's not that customer doesn't want the service. The service is not provided in suitable form it was sold as anymore.
Off course it's illegal, if it wasn't many companies would be in business of scamming money out of people by getting them to sign for unlimited accounts and then keep them all crawling on one ISDN modem just to make their life miserable enough to quit and pay penalty fee.
N/A

The T&C's state that:

'For guidance, we consider commercial use to be at a level above that which is running a part time Business or supporting any kind of hobby. Business accounts must be used if the account is to be used from any official Business Premises while Teleworkers are considered to be commercial use of a residential connection.'

Err,

Someone, could you please explain that little bit in bold for me? Am I thinking correctly that Plusnet need deem any hobby as a business and therefor you would be advised to get a business account?Huh
Ben_Brown
Grafter

The products are not unlimited or unrestricted, and this is made very clear when we changed the T&C's in august and emailed every single one of our customers, with the option to reject them and leave.
N/A

my understanding of it is:

above part-time or hobby

i..e full time.