Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet, whats the problem with P2P ?

bobbygeorge
Grafter

err,

plusnet, My P2P speeds are appalling (connected to over 100 seeds & d/l at max 5-6 kbs) this has been the situation for about 2 weeks now. It doesn't matter what time of day I connect on/off peak.

prior to this I was seeing speeds of over 400Kbs regularly. looking through the posts it appears there is now a huge problem with P2P usage.

Can I assume this has now gone the same way as the laughable e-mail service resulting in us being strangled in all areas because of bandwith constraints (ala ellacoya)

before I decide to go to a reliable isp, an explanation as to the causes would be rather nice, or dare I say even a solution :shock:
17 REPLIES
trescodrucey
Grafter

An explanation would be appreciated.

I hope this doesn't remain the case.
Else i'm off!
N/A

Dear Mr xxxxx,
As part of a recent investigation into reports of slow speeds across lower priority applications such as P2P, Binary Usenet and External FTP it became apparent that a number of customers were not being managed in accordance with the product they are subscribed to.

The result of this was that certain customers were unfairly being allocated more network resource than others subscribed to the same product.

Your account was one of those identified as being assigned the incorrect management profile.

Whilst this has now been corrected you should be aware that lower priority traffic may now be at a speed lower than that you had become accustomed to.

For further details surrounding the prioritisation of traffic across our network, please see our online help pages:-
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml%3C/i%3E

Regards,

So to put it in simple terms, everyone was on the 'wrong' profile, plusnet has now ammended that fault, and as a result everyone is now on their 'correct' profile, and hitting P2P speeds of 5kb/sec max.
They really know how to treat their Premier customers huh?
bobbygeorge
Grafter

An explanation would be appreciated

agreed,

Hello plusnet, is anyone there. I don't think ignoring the subject until it goes away is a solution.

not only P2P/Usenet/e-mail but now it seems that FTP & browsing has fallen foul of the plusnet (sloooooooooow) syndrome.

I raised a ticket on this subject & am still awaiting a response.

All we ask for is a reliable service for, dare I say it "most of the time"

Maybe thats asking too much.

Shockedops:

think i'll be ordering a big MAC
trescodrucey
Grafter

Dear Mr xxxxx,
As part of a recent investigation into reports of slow speeds across lower priority applications such as P2P, Binary Usenet and External FTP it became apparent that a number of customers were not being managed in accordance with the product they are subscribed to.

The result of this was that certain customers were unfairly being allocated more network resource than others subscribed to the same product.

Your account was one of those identified as being assigned the incorrect management profile.

Whilst this has now been corrected you should be aware that lower priority traffic may now be at a speed lower than that you had become accustomed to.

For further details surrounding the prioritisation of traffic across our network, please see our online help pages:-
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml%3C/i%3E

Regards,

So to put it in simple terms, everyone was on the 'wrong' profile, plusnet has now ammended that fault, and as a result everyone is now on their 'correct' profile, and hitting P2P speeds of 5kb/sec max.
They really know how to treat their Premier customers huh?

Surely that's not the case! How can they expect us to sit by and accept a 5kbps max on P2P any time of the day?

If this is the truth, this is one change of T&Cs too many..
N/A

got me a refund of one month and a credit for the next

just open a "cancel my order" ticket
N/A

Didn't anyone tell you? P2P has been closed down.

The reason nobody from Plusnet is commenting is because they are too fucking embarassed. And if they did talk they'd either be lying or being disingenuous.

The fact is this week I have 2 connections in my house this week. PN and TalkTalk. At the moment I am downloading 2 files via UTorrent at 750mb from the same share and on PN I'm getting 0.6kbs and on TT I'm getting 50-90kbs (was 120kbs earlier). The TT is not maxDSL either with just a 0.9mb IPStream connection compared to a 1.9mb on PN.

I asked for my MAC yesterday and was given a free month. Yes, that's nice but I wan't some P2P. I'm not asking for 500kbs but 40-50kbs during the day would be nice.

If that doesn't come I really am off because PN is not cheap if you like downloading. In fact when looking around they're not cheap for anyone anymore.
Firejack
Grafter

Might be getting somewhere with this. There is a new service status posting Smiley

http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1163088617.htm
N/A

"shortly", when we're already approaching week 4...
N/A

This is an update to the previously reported problem affecting download speeds when using lower priority protocols such as Peer-to-Peer, Torrents, External FTP and Binary Usenet. A copy of the last announcement can be found here for your reference:-
http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1161948321.htm

We are continuing to investigate reports of variable performance across certain lower priority services such as P2P, Binary Usenet, External FTP and Torrents.

Following customer feedback we have also been looking at the classification of other traffic across our network such as Virtual Private Networking, Text Usenet, Online Gaming and a number of other corporate and commercial applications.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank customers for their patience whilst this investigation is underway.

Our network engineers are working on a more detailed breakdown of our findings which we hope to publish shortly.

The reason nobody from Plusnet is commenting is because they are too [censored] embarassed. And if they did talk they'd either be lying or being disingenuous.

We can all make our own minds up.
Ianwild
Grafter

Simon is just adding some more detail to the post at my request - We gave him a list of stuff people were asking about and given the complexity of things that isn't an easy thing for him to right.

It's not my post, so I can't commit, but Simon was certainly expecting to get the detail out tomorrow.

Regards,

Ian
trescodrucey
Grafter

Can i get a month free then?
My working day has been hampered by this
N/A

Service: Portal
Posted: Thu, Nov 09 2006 at 17:41:26
Subject: Core Database Maintenance - Thursday 9th November 6:00pm-8:00pm

Maintenance Window:-
Thursday 9th November 6:00pm-8:00pm.

Service Affected:-
Portal Services and Internal Systems.

Duration of expected customer impact:-
Ten minutes.

Detailed description of work to be performed:- We are making some further configuration changes to our core database as part of the ongoing commitment to increase the performance of our internal systems and portal servers.

Expected customer impact:-
Customers will be unable to access any portal services for approximately ten minutes during the maintenance window. Holding pages will be in place throughout this time. The support centre will not have access to customers' details for this 10 minute period so may only be able to offer limited telephone support.

Other details:-
This is part of a wider piece of work to improve the overall performance of the database, and follows on from the server upgrade that was carried out last Thursday:- http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1162399186.htm

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Customer Support

Maintenance Window:-
Thursday 9th November 6:00pm-8:00pm

details for this 10 minute period

Some strange clocks up north then?
N/A

@ Ian Wild

Come on mate! Please Smiley

I don't like to accuse people of being disingenuous or lying but there has been 100s upon 100s of P2P complaints on this forum for days on end. People are frustrated with PN and official (Mod or otherwise) comment has been as quiet as xxxxxx

I do like conspiracy theories (thrive on them in fact) but something's up with Plusnet and we're not getting the service we deserve. Nowhere near it.

I should be happy with a free month but as I can't download on P2P it's not really free. i suppose it could be much worse ie I was paying £20+

I'm disappointed because this is the only part of PN's service that's letting me down (but others are angry about much more).

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Sexual intonations removed Please obey the Link:rules
bobbygeorge
Grafter

I'm disappointed because this is the only part of PN's service that's letting me down (but others are angry about much more).

I agree, P2P is a major part of the service we pay for but it has to be remembered, it's only part of a much larger problem involving traffic shaping across the network.

It affects FTP,e-mail,usenet,P2P & web browsing.

Surely better ellacoya management & increased bandwith are the only long term solutions to this tiresome situation.

It seems that every so called solution applied these problems by plusnet appears only to be a quick fix, leaving the same issues to return (normally within a week) to the obvious anger of the user base who then post here to vent their fury.

and so the sequence repeats all over again.

Evil :twisted: