Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet webcam?

N/A

Plusnet webcam?

Hi,

I found something strange here Smiley

I was viewing the CS webcams this morning and noticed this.

After closing the cam window and then navigating away from that page to the discussion forums my router was still sending and receiving data.

When I view the cams Netmeter shows upload speed of 9.5KB/s and Download speed 243KB/s, for 2 minutes that was 1.22mb uploaded and 32.55mb downloaded. After closong the cam window and moving to the forums the bandwidth did not change and after 8 minutes I had downloaded 116mb and uploaded 4.48mb, if I close the browser (Firefox) then the data stops and goes back to normal !

Any idea why it keeps sending data at full speed even though I have closed the cam window and moved to another page on the portal?

Cheers
11 REPLIES
PhillipH
Grafter

Plusnet webcam?

I believe its a firefox thing, same thing happens to me, especially viewing panoramic views. I know thats no answer but i bet the firefox forum has the fix. im just a little bit lazy today to look Sad
N/A

Plusnet webcam?

Thanks for the info Smiley
I did try IE but it wont work with the cams for me, but as a rule I don't use IE ;-)

It's amazing the things you get up to waiting on the postman lol

Cheers
PhillipH
Grafter

Plusnet webcam?

your postman delivers late..... Cheesy
N/A

Plusnet webcam?

It used to be before 9am, now it's 2pm (if he is quick) Smiley
The don't make Postmen like they used to Smiley
N/A

Plusnet webcam?

I dunno how the web cams work but I have noticed a behaviour running applets under Firefox.
Playing an online game loads the applet up (and the supporting java runtime) and you see s chunk of memory vanish. Now I can close that window off and it doesnt appear to release the memory from the runtime or game - I have to close FF off.
I speculate that what you have on the web cams in some sort of thread running that downloads the webcam data and displays it. Closing the window is not necessarily killing the webcam application.
LiamM
Grafter

Plusnet webcam?

Uhuh, it is a reported bug in Firefox, and has been since beta - but they've still not fixed it.
PhillipH
Grafter

Plusnet webcam?

It used to be before 9am, now it's 2pm (if he is quick)
The don't make Postmen like they used to

it is so that it gives the postman time to rifle through everyones mail. (only joking :-) )
N/A

Plusnet webcam?

Uhuh, it is a reported bug in Firefox, and has been since beta - but they've still not fixed it.

And a great pity that as Firefox is the only browser that shows the CS webcams any sense on my "Mac"
N/A

Plusnet webcam?

Have you tried the new version of Opera (not that I have a Mac to verify that it is better in anyway) ?
N/A

Plusnet webcam?

i've just started using the new opera and i like it, it shows the webcams fine
N/A

Plusnet webcam?

Must be a "Mac" thing.Just downloaded and installed Opera and although it does display the cameras they sort of scan down down from the top of the viewing window.Not to worry it has been a matter of some puzzlement to me for a while as to why only Firefox shows the webcams properly on this machine, and trying to work out what Firefox does differently to Safari which only shows a black screen and continuously waits for something to download, Internet Explorer that has white flashing lines over the images, and now Opera that scans the image in from the top down......... strange indeed