cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet virus scanning message is AWOL!

newinvention
Grafter

The message that Plusnet puts at the bottom of my incoming emails to say they've been scanned now seems to be truncated every time. It says and I quote:

================================

s been verified as Virus free
Virus Protection and more available at http://=
www.plus.net
============================

... so the first bit is always now chopped off. Does everyone have this, then now?
30 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Mine is ok.
------------------------------------------
This email has been verified as Virus free
Virus Protection and more available at http://www.plus.net
-------------------------------------------
From a very recent mail
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Seems fine here too, mail from about half an hour ago:

===========================================================
This email has been verified as Virus free Virus Protection and more available at http://www.plus.net ===========================================================

is it only from one mail server or any? Worth checking the headers, also does your mail client allow you to view the source of the mail?
gm4jjj
Rising Star

I see that but only only non plain text emails. Normal plaint text I get the full message but TWICE :?

I even turned off anti-virus at PN but still get it - so have turned it back on again to at least keep my control panel in sync with reality.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

I even turned off anti-virus at PN but still get it - so have turned it back on again to at least keep my control panel in sync with reality.

Hmmm, that doesn't smell right. I'll turn mine off too and see what happens. There's a couple of PUGIT problems open regarding the message footer so I'd appreciate it if anyone still experiencing the problem can add their comments:-

Duplicate Virus Footer

Malformed Virus Footer

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

gm4jjj
Rising Star

Thanks Bob, I expected turning virus checking off to take no more than 24 hours, but I left it for several days and it still had no effect and I got both the double virus checking sigs and the malformed HTML ones.

I assumed that the holiday season had meant that some manual intervention that was required just had not taken place, but perhaps there is a scripting problem?
Laugh
Grafter

I've been seeing this problem as well, although it does appear to be working OK now. I just thought that it was down to the mail queues that were about a few weeks ago. Once the queues cleared the problem went away. I'll keep monitoring.
Laugh
Grafter

I've just done a test and I'm getting both problems. A duplicate and a malformation (WOW! Is there such a word?)

================================3
Virus Protection and more available at http://
www.plus.net

================================3s been verified as Virus free
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi there,

I've opened a problem internally to address these issues (ID 39067). It can be tracked here.

Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

N/A

Glad I'm not the only one still getting the double and malformed virus check notices. I was holding off, hoping it would get better once the queues cleared up, but nope.

On a slightly side topic note.
I'm having the New Year, new spam problem that everyone else seems to be having at the moment, but is it part of the anti-virus system that messages from "Mail Delivery Subsystem" (and these are all different subsystems) are not scanned?

Because it seems a tiny bit insecure seeing as I never sent any of this spam in the first place, and don't know what dubious rubbish might get bounced back to me.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi there,

Some of the NDRs will still be tagged as SPAM by our server side scanning, although there is the possibility that many will pass through as ham due to the fact that the NDRs considered to be SPAM are often similar in appearance and content to valid failed delivery notices.

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

For NDRs, would it be possible to examine them and see if the sender of the original email was on Plusnet and if not bin them?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks Bob, I expected turning virus checking off to take no more than 24 hours, but I left it for several days and it still had no effect and I got both the double virus checking sigs and the malformed HTML ones.

Just to confirm. I turned it off on my account and it was successfully deactivated. If you're still having problems switching it off then let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

N/A

On a related note, could you please STOP ADDING THE PLUSNET URL. As the message is added to incomming messages to plusnet customers I think we already know how to find plusnet and if I wanted to put the spam through a processor such as "spamcop" I risk inadvertantly reporting plusnet.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've just done a test and I'm getting both problems. A duplicate and a malformation (WOW! Is there such a word?)

================================3
Virus Protection and more available at http://
www.plus.net
================================3s been verified as Virus free

Hi there,

Further investigation has identified why this is happening. At present we are smarthosting from the old mxcore platform to the new. When this smarthosting is in place the duplicate footers are not seen. Likewise when the smarthosting is not setup.

The problem occurs when we have to either switch the smarthosting on or off which has had to be done a number of times during recent mail problems. The old mxcores add the footer as they process the email. In contrast the new mxcores add the footer upon successful delivery. Where we are switching from one platform to another the footer is getting added twice.

This will continue whilst there is a necessity to change the smarthosting configuration in the event of problems. Once the mail platform regains some of its stability there will be no need for this or the smarthosting will be removed at which point this problem can be closed. There is little we can do to prevent this at the moment though.

The malformed footer should have been fixed. That's due to a MIME encoding issue and to get around it we've changed the '=' to '#'

Kind Rgds,

Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team